Game 1 vs. Army

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Game 1 vs. Army

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Pulled out the W 77-74

Wormley, Pemba, and Trueheart in street clothes for this game. Speedy said Wormley was dealing with an injury in the pregame talk, but I didn't get any info Pemba and Trueheart.

Overall, I'll take it. We put a lot of minutes on Ray and Radovic, and we had 7 players tonight. We didn't shoot well, but JWF and Buie carried us down the stretch, nice start for JWF with 25 points.

FT shooting got us the win, 19-21 from the line!!!

Rough start for Rok, he's going to have a terrible year if we cant get the pick and roll working. He does not play above the rim offensively or defensively, I thought he had a really rough defensive game. Angus looked pretty good though, I thought he showed some solid post moves, doesn't seem to have much range though.

Just very hard to get a true assessment of the team because we played the final 16 minutes of the first with Buie in foul trouble, and Radovic got torched when Angus was in foul trouble in the 2nd half. I thought Ray looked OK, Radovic hung tough, just hoping the injuries are not too serious.
ProudofPride

Re: Game 1 vs. Army

Post by ProudofPride »

Per a Newsday writer, Pemba was out due to violation of team rules, which obviously isn't great, but is better than an injury at this point.
https://twitter.com/bheyman99/status/929163007573331969
Cards

Post by Cards »

just listened to post game presser. You're correct PoP, EP was out because of breaking team rules. Not sure about the other guys - but coach did say they will be back to full strength on Monday.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Coach needs to Figure out how to play a winning team and a proper rotation. Winning by 1 point tonight because he's playing the Gustys rebound game got old fast last season and here we go again guys. Sabety should be splitting his time without a doubt. Gustys game was weak at best. His personal rebound count is not boosting our program in any way. Disappointing to see Sabety in for so few minutes tonight.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Good to get the win with two of our best guards not on the floor. Army plays tough and physical...we were good down the stretch an we're 1-0...I'll take it.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Well, a win is a win.

In general, I thought Army played better than I expected and I thought we played poorer than expected - hence a close game!

First off - Pemberton out, Wormley out, Truehart out. Rok played lots of minutes, but did not appear to be 100% (no spring in the legs)

We still do not seem to have offensive sets. To much reliance on JWF. We still need work on defense - too many open looks.

JWF played OK, JA III played very well the first half and OK the second. He seems to be nothing flashy, but his game looks solid (good FT shooter) DB played well the second half and sat most of the first with foul trouble. MR looked like he was playing in his first college game ( a little unsure), same with JR although he played better as the game went on.

I liked some of our looks when RG, JA, and MR played together - it certainly game us some size we have been lacking for years.

We need guys to get healthy. We have to worry about fouls with only 7 guys in the rotation.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Newsday article says three were suspended for one game, incl Pemba

https://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ ... 1.14913560
Cards

Post by Cards »

Hey joeg1 - are you the joeg from the NPC
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

what's NPC? Don't i sit near you in sec 101 row d?
Cards

Post by Cards »

I know a guy who attends about half the games and his name is Joe G......... You are not him as you would know what NPC was.
I was not sure about the "board name" and if was related to actual name.

No biggie. Beat Kennesaw!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Too tight of a game of course, but take the W. I will say I am encouraged, saw some real positives, and I think this team can and will be a LOT better.

My thoughts:

- The 3 suspensions all expected back tomorrow. I spoke to one of them, they seem to get it and are ready to go now. This is a non-issue IMO.
- Started 2 TRUE freshmen, unexpectedly - gotta be fair here. Ray and Rad 36 and 24 minutes in their 1st ever D1 game - that is not their role this year, so I think they did an admirable job.
- Again, Ray is going to be a stud. A player told me he often shoots better than JWF in practice. Rad unfortunately is going to be a streak shooter (that's per a coach). Some days on, some off. Not my cup of tea, and he should never start, but should be at least a very useful spark off the bench and brings great length to the position.
- Angus looks like a super fit for the position and what this team needs. This is exactly what Greer was supposed to be. Kudos to the staff on this one, he is the perfect glue guy that does everything well, and brings strength and size to the role. And praise be, a big that can shoot FT's!
- Speaking of, fantastic performance from the stripe - the difference in the game. Keep Rok away from it and the team will be ok.
- Rok... my goodness, awful start. He's def still nursing something, but still. He plays SO soft for his size - needs to realize he's a Sr and 6'9 240lbs.
- Hunter crushed it IMO - kid looked strong out there, and did his job well.
- Buie looked great out there, back to form - some rust for sure, and the 2 early fouls hurt (1 was ticky tack), but he really had a strong return game. Cannot express how vital a stud PG is for this team - IMO it needs to be him with Wormley adding size/spark value off the bench. Let's see how they both progress...
- Was very happy to see JM not acting like a lunatic out there. He was def on the refs, but it was respectable. MUCH better rep of the program coach, please keep that up.
- Hey the D wan't perfect, and it will always need work, but this was a pretty good effort. Army ran a much faster pace than expected (from their scrimmage tape), so it was a surprise they needed to adjust to. Even with a very fast pace and them nailing even the tough shots, HU kept them in the low 70's. That's a victory on the D front.
- Apparently the Wilson kid for Army, their big who had a great game, is a very good player - expected to be all-conf for them. A coach told me he will be one of the best bigs they face all year - surprised me, but helped me gain some perspective on the post battles this game.

All in all, I think this team has a very high ceiling with a full roster at it's disposal. Looking forward to seeing how that complete team performs Monday. I won't be there in person, but will be following for sure. There is some real potential here.

Recruiting: coaches know my stance apparently lol - my posts have not gone unnoticed :D had some great convos with them after, so it's all good on that front, we had some laughs. They will go after 2 bigs, a juco and a hs, and another 4 to replace Angus, at a minimum. All will be late.

I'm still not thrilled with it, but I had to admit (to them as well) they landed some very good ones in Angus and Ray, with Rad being at least someone with size that can hit the 3.

Made it very clear my expectations for them in year 5 and for this program in general. I'm sure they will snap right to it! :D :P ;)

#ROLLPRIDE