Hofstra 77, Army 74

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Hofstra 77, Army 74

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra won a close game with the largest lead being 6 for Hofstra and 4 for Army. Both teams led for over 10 minutes, and it was a one possession game for 83.8% of the game. Wright-Foreman led all scorers with 25, but he attempted 25 field goals, which was as many as the next three most players on Hofstra combined. Hofstra used seven players, and all of them except Sabety played at least 24 minutes. There were no double-doubles as Gustys had 6 points and 12 rebounds, and he was the only player on either team to reach double-digits in something other than points. Matija Radovic made 1 out of 8 field goals, with all of his attempts being three-pointers. Hofstra won because they attempted 10 more free throws and made over 90% at 19-21. It was Hofstra's best free throw percentage with at least 10 attempts since they also went 19-21 at George Mason on February 8, 2012. In 2010-2011, Hofstra broke the CAA team free throw percentage record, and they had 6 games with at least 10 attempts and at least 90% made. In the six seasons after that (through 2016-2017), they had 1 game with at least 10 attempts and at least 90% made.
stuball888

Re: Hofstra 77, Army 74

Post by stuball888 »

Evan what free throw Caa record for percentage didn’t Towson shoot 24-24 against us last year
garyg

Post by garyg »

Would not mind Sabety in starting lineup and Rok coming off the bench
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Very exciting game. Was very happy to see how we played down the stretch. We made our free throws, didn't turn the ball over, and closed out the game like we should have. Awesome win to start the season.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

garyg wrote:Would not mind Sabety in starting lineup and Rok coming off the bench

Could not agree more.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

But.... free throws don't matter!!!

Is that still a thing here?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We were 19-21 one reasons Rok never got to the foul line
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Armys centers outplayed ours badly.Gustys numbers were 6 points on 3-8 shooting all in the paint and 12 boards. Their soph center Matt Wilson had 17 points on 8-9 shooting and 6 boards. Hunter had 6 points on 3-3 shooting and 6 boards while Armys John Miller had 8 points on 4-5 shooting and 4 boards. Total numbers Hofstra 12 points and 18 boards while army had 25 points and 10 boards. Rok got continually schooled by Wilson with his drop step. Who on the coaching staff is working with the big men.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Sabety played 12 minutes and Rok played 28... not sure this is a fair comparison Stuball888 - maybe play Sabety more then since his efficiency is clearly better. Sabety had 6 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block in 12 minutes. Rok had 6 points, 12 rebounds, and no blocks, and played more than 2x the amount of time that Sabety played. Not to mention fouled out. The question should be who on the coaching staff is working with Rok??? The only issue with Sabety right now is that he does not get enough minutes.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Would like to see our centers post up down low once in a while...did not see much of that against Army
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Rok has regressed drastically from his first 2 seasons here.. Maybe he is banged up though.. Still early, hope he can turn it on for his senior go 'round
Pride97

Hofstra 77, Army 74

Post by Pride97 »

I think Sabety's biggest problem has always been fouls. He is aggressive and adds great energy when he is in, but too often piles up fouls quickly. Didn't see that in his time last night so hopefully that is something he's worked on. He has a spark that has been lacking on this team for years and I hope he sees the floor a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Pride97 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mike that was not a knock on Hunter. Just the total stats of the centers of both teams
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

garyg wrote:Would not mind Sabety in starting lineup and Rok coming off the bench
IMO Rok is a legit power conference big man. He just needs to stay healthy. His technique is miles ahead of Hunter's.

Hunter is a good energy guy and appears to be a great teammate but Rok is the man.

I wouldn't get all worked up yet...three guys in the rotation sat the game out. On the positive side, it gave the newcomers some good exposure. Let's see what happens on Monday.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Evan what free throw Caa record for percentage didn’t Towson shoot 24-24 against us last year
The team CAA record for a season, not a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeQap3wyhKU is 1:45 of highlights from Hofstra with annoying background music that Hofstra didn't use last season. I want to be able to focus only on the highlights.
Cards

Post by Cards »

joeg1 wrote:
IMO Rok is a legit power conference big man. He just needs to stay healthy. His technique is miles ahead of Hunter's.

Hunter is a good energy guy and appears to be a great teammate but Rok is the man.

I wouldn't get all worked up yet...three guys in the rotation sat the game out. On the positive side, it gave the newcomers some good exposure. Let's see what happens on Monday.[/quote

I could not agree more Joeg1. Rok IS the man. Does he have faults - of course, but there is no one on the court that has a better nose for the ball. The guy simply has that knack for getting to the ball. Its not something that can actually be taught. Its something that guys like Bill Russel, or Dennis Rodman (god help us) simply have.

I also think that other teams sometimes can't or don't do what they normally would do simply because Rok is in the middle. He is somewhat of a deterrent in that regard.

Now, HS is extremely aggressive and he gets into more foul trouble than Rok because of it (hard to believe but true). Hunter is a high energy guy and I love when he comes in to spell Rok. Hunter also has better legs and a better free throw stroke. Bottom line though, in a tight game with minutes left, would you rather have a healthy Rok or Hunter in the game. I go with Rok.
Cards

Post by Cards »

joeg1 wrote:

I could not agree more Joeg1. Rok IS the man. Does he have faults - of course, but there is no one on the court that has a better nose for the ball. The guy simply has that knack for getting to the ball. Its not something that can actually be taught. Its something that guys like Bill Russel, or Dennis Rodman (god help us) simply have.

I also think that other teams sometimes can't or don't do what they normally would do simply because Rok is in the middle. He is somewhat of a deterrent in that regard.

Now, HS is extremely aggressive and he gets into more foul trouble than Rok because of it (hard to believe but true). Hunter is a high energy guy and I love when he comes in to spell Rok. Hunter also has better legs and a better free throw stroke. Bottom line though, in a tight game with minutes left, would you rather have a healthy Rok or Hunter in the game. I go with Rok.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

I have a hard time agreeing. But like I said, it is difficult to make these comprisons when Sabety gets way less minutes and seemigly gets pulled out of the game everytime he's heating up. Just like Rok I'd also like to see Sabety have his chance as a senior. But I guess we have the season to see how everyone's opinions pan out.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Sabety is an energy guy because of the way he is used, coming off the bench.... he is only good for short bursts of minutes. play him longer and he will foul out quickly... Rok is the guy, still nursing a groin pull, I believe.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:Sabety is an energy guy because of the way he is used, coming off the bench.... he is only good for short bursts of minutes. play him longer and he will foul out quickly... Rok is the guy, still nursing a groin pull, I believe.
Yes HUSID - somewhere I recall JM saying it was a groin issue.