Hofstra 77, Army 74

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Hofstra 77, Army 74

Post by Polito »

There is no denying Rok has an incredible knack for rebounding and there is real value there - the more times HU has the ball the better.

That does not discount the fact that he had a terrible game Friday, rebounding aside. His game is SO damn soft it is infuriating. What I would do if I was his size...

6'9 240lbs does not need to pussyfoot around the basket - grab the damn ball with your huge mitts, use your massive body to properly check some guys and OWN your space, and for goodness sake PUT THE BALL IN THE DAMN BASKET WITH SOME FRIGGIN AUTHORITY

If he would do that he would be a true NBA draftee, a national all-conf type player, unstoppable in this league, and likely lead this program to the promised land.

If he keeps playing like an oversized kitten, well it will be up to everyone else to lead HU to the title and dance. Which they absolutely can do. I said pre-season I do not think Rok is the key to this year, and I still don't. He can play average and this team can and will still win.

BUT if he did actually play like he should, well, it would be just that much easier. I think HU would run through this conf with the exception of CofC and battle them in the champ game.

We'll see if Rok wakes up and finally 'gets it'. If not, praise God HU has Hunter, because that boy can bang down low. HUGE advantage for HU not often seen to have 2 interchangeable behemoths like that at the same time, esp at a mid - let's take full advantage!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

A win is a win - it was fun to see the new team - a nice crowd turned out - and against a scrappy Army team.

DB - welcome back - looks a bit bigger/stronger; easily breaks the press; but why only 4 minutes in the 1st half (yeah 2 quick fouls but...) and a full 20 minutes in the 2nd half - I like when he is on the floor.

JFW - nothing to add - he is our straw that mixes the drink - no questions.

JR - nice opening night from this freshman - moves well/will grow.

JA III - not as big as I hoped/thought - nice handle breaking the press/beautiful stroke from the foul line - is going to need to finish around the basket stronger.

MR - nice stroke and certainly not afraid to shoot - see his upside that has been talked about.

HS - the ultimate grinder - would like to see him and RG together occasionally - think it might open things up on the OFF rebounding side for both HS and RG.

RG - last but not least - needs to be more aggressive, looks to pass when in the paint - hate to bash, but half his offensive rebounds are on his own missed chippys - not his fault about lack of success in the pick-n-roll game (J Green - was a great GREAT pick-n-roll guy, defenses had to respect JG game as he could finish strong around the basket; draws contact/create a foul/and hit foul shoots OR dish it out to Koon/Tanksley or Bernardi).

MISC - our short roster looked gased-against a hustling Army team; our interior D sticks; looks like we have a few guys to put on the floor late in the game that can hit some free-throws; curious to see if Truehart is part of the rotation; seemed to be the longest amount of time watching JAM before he started bitching to the refs; decent crowd (good turn out for Army traveling group); I want this team to be good.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

If Rok has yet another groin issue, then it's a chronic problem, and it has significantly limited him as a player. If he needs to take games off early to correct the issue, he should do it because he looked seriously limited on the court Friday, both offensively and defensively.

I don't think Rok is a great offensive player, no range, but he is strong off the pick and roll, and he's a great passer from the post. That was the dynamic that made us so good in '16. We didn't have that last year, and we didn't have it on Friday night. Some of that is the guard play not being as aware as Juan'ya, but some of it is Rok not being right.

But more concerning is the defensive play. Either he's not challenging anything, or he's fouling. It's a telltale sign of an injury because Rok has shown us good defensive play when healthy, and soft play when hurt.