Men's Hoops '17 Season Opener Pregame @ Green Turtle!

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Pride97

Re: Men's Hoops '17 Season Opener Pregame @ Green Turtle!

Post by Pride97 »

Wish I could make it. I'm flying back from LA tomorrow. Made sure my flight would get me back in time for the game though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Okay folks it's...

G A M E D A Y !!!!!!!

Just spoke to the Turtle manager, they have top shelf 2 for 1 specials until 6pm.

She mentioned they are expecting a nice crowd with the Maryland vs SBU game at the coliseum tonight also! Should be a great college hoops atmosphere to kick off the season!

We'll be there @5pm, and head to the arena by 6:30pm to get our hats and get ready to ROCK! Let's get that W fellas!!

#DUTCHNATION
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Sounds good Polito. Looking forward to taking full advantage of that drink special!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

The green turtle is a cool place.

Turnout could have been better!
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

cactus wrote:The green turtle is a cool place.

Turnout could have been better!
Am glad you enjoyed it Cactus. I love it there and am always down for a meet-up before or after games.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Is there decent food at the Green Turtle? My brother and I used to go to BurgerFi before games for a quick meal and beer before games. (Mostly for proximity) Looking for a new place now.

Polito

Post by Polito »

2nd that, Green Turtle was a real nice spot, perfect for game days! I think that's our location going forward to pre game. Big inside, clean, nice drink specials, thought the food was tasty for the apps that we got.

SBU and Maryland (of course) had a really nice turnout of fans for their game at the coliseum, and looks like SBU did something 'officially' for the fans - Stu and I are on top of letting our admin know they should be doing exactly that, esp for the Nova game.

Would be great to have more folks out next time, it was a real good time!
garyg

Post by garyg »

[quote="Polito"]2nd that, Green Turtle was a real nice spot, perfect for game days! I think that's our location going forward to pre game. Big inside, clean, nice drink specials, thought the food was tasty for the apps that we got.

SBU and Maryland (of course) had a really nice turnout of fans for their game at the coliseum, and looks like SBU did something 'officially' for the fans - Stu and I are on top of letting our admin know they should be doing exactly that, esp for the Nova game.

Stony Brook/Maryland game--boxscore has attendance at only 3066
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ah, to be clear, my comment meant they had a nice turnout at the Turtle for their game at the coliseum.

I think it reads differently now that I re-read what I wrote lol 8-)
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone know if last time Hofstra played in Coliseum was against St. John's ?? That team had Richardson, Gittens, Apodacca, and Grubler on it...we beat St. Johns and close to 9000 fans were there....
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

To garyg, I think you are correct. I believe it was on a Saturday afternoon early in December 2000. It is among my favorite HU basketball memories. I hope JM and the 2017-18 team can produce some more lasting positive memories for all of us.
garyg

Post by garyg »

The Shadow wrote:To garyg, I think you are correct. I believe it was on a Saturday afternoon early in December 2000. It is among my favorite HU basketball memories. I hope JM and the 2017-18 team can produce some more lasting positive memories for all of us.

The team played so hard that game...I remember Gitten's crashing to the floor after a loose ball and a thunderous dunk by Lars Grubler--the dunking dutchman!!!!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The Shadow wrote: To garyg, I think you are correct. I believe it was on a Saturday afternoon early in December 2000. It is among my favorite HU basketball memories. I hope JM and the 2017-18 team can produce some more lasting positive memories for all of us.
Hofstra's Media Guide has all of the games in 2000-2001 and nearby seasons at St. John's (including MSG). St. John's Media Guide says they never played Hofstra at a neutral site and they never went to Hofstra between 1975 and 2004.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Didnt we play them at MSG isnt that a neutral site.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I believe that was a game where HU was the away team. If I remember correctly. St. John's was the home team so the NCAAs could be at the Coliseum and St. John's was a host team. There was also a St. John's game at HU when Mike Jarvis was their coach.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Didnt we play them at MSG isnt that a neutral site.
St. John's Media Guide counts MSG as home games.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Pride97 wrote:Is there decent food at the Green Turtle? My brother and I used to go to BurgerFi before games for a quick meal and beer before games. (Mostly for proximity) Looking for a new place now.

Checked out the Green Turtle before last night's game. Great beer selection and good food. Definitely going to be a frequent pre-game stop going forward. Hope to see some of you there.