Jeff Hathaway OUT

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

Jeff Hathaway OUT

Post by HofstraHockey »

According to an email from Pres Rabinowitz, Jeff Hathaway is leaving as on June 30, 2018.
stuball888

Re: Jeff Hathaway OUT

Post by stuball888 »

Anyone know where he is going
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Press release on gohofstra.com don't believe he is going anywhere yet. There were rumors about this for quite some time. It will be REAL important to get the right person in hear. Think we should start with Danny McCabe right over at Adelphi.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Def big news... thanks for the hard work and effort, and best of luck in the next venture.

Now, this is a H U G E opportunity for HU to land an athletic STUD to lead HU athletics back to the top of the mid majors where it belongs.
CTBob

Post by CTBob »

Agree with you Polito. Don't believe Danny is that guy.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

McCabe could use some seasoning at a big time program before he becomes an AD.

Probably an AAD from a major conference with some nation-wide exposure/influence is what we should be looking for
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

What are the chances we get another UConn AAD
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Scariest thing I've read today on this Halloween! :D

All joking aside, this news definitely sucks. Plain and simple. I felt Jeff Hathaway was one of the best hires in recent history. He was very personable and definitely made the average donor and season ticket holder feel welcomed. Not to mention, he was the sole reason for some very great athletic events (i.e., U Kentucky and Villanova to name just a couple.) He certainly seemed to have his connections and definitely did his best to put Hofstra on the map. To that, I wish him well in his endeavors and certainly appreciated his time here at Hofstra.

That being said, I definitely agree that this is a pivotal hire. I think Hathaway brought us out of the haze that Hayes put us in (see what I did there xD) And now hopefully this next guy will send us soaring. Although, admittedly it will certainly be tough to find another Jeff Hathaway or beyond.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Next AD will be Vic Cegles You heard it here first
garyg

Post by garyg »

WHO ???????????
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Vic is the deputy AD at UConn
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Vic is the deputy AD at UConn
And what is his connection to Hofstra???? I think its time we move on from UCONN guys.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Till we do I see this as the best fit. Best P5 program in the northeadt
Polito

Post by Polito »

He def has P5 athletic chops and ties to the northeast...

I do agree the UConn connection may not be the best route this time, but I also do not think DM from Adelphi is what we need at this time either. Looking for a bit higher level, although not too high 8-)

HU needs someone who has strong AD experience in environments very similar to HU, ie FULLY understands the top end mid major landscape, the NY market in particular, and exactly how to lead this department to the top of the mid major world.

Someone who has direct experience and measurable success improving financials, sponsorships, fund drives, attendance, local presence/marketing, etc.

To me, someone that knows how to do that only at a major P5 is not necessarily the right fit, as most of those strategies won't exactly work here - who has done this at a MID MAJOR and done it very successfully, basically from scratch??

I'm thinking like an A10 / MVC type level, or someone who has demonstrated a major turnaround at a mid program with similar challenges...

Can't stress enough, this is a critical hire. Pres Rabs TRUE perspective/view/values will show through 100% on this replacement.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Job is now posted. Looks like we may be using a search firm, based on the first sentence.
http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/1043055 ... university
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Actually my pick would be Bill Smith. He is the AD at Bryant University. Has done a credible job there and this would be a good fit with us. Has elevated Bryant. Next step is Hofstra
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

Polito wrote:He def has P5 athletic chops and ties to the northeast...

I do agree the UConn connection may not be the best route this time, but I also do not think DM from Adelphi is what we need at this time either. Looking for a bit higher level, although not too high 8-)

HU needs someone who has strong AD experience in environments very similar to HU, ie FULLY understands the top end mid major landscape, the NY market in particular, and exactly how to lead this department to the top of the mid major world.

Someone who has direct experience and measurable success improving financials, sponsorships, fund drives, attendance, local presence/marketing, etc.

To me, someone that knows how to do that only at a major P5 is not necessarily the right fit, as most of those strategies won't exactly work here - who has done this at a MID MAJOR and done it very successfully, basically from scratch??

I'm thinking like an A10 / MVC type level, or someone who has demonstrated a major turnaround at a mid program with similar challenges...

Can't stress enough, this is a critical hire. Pres Rabs TRUE perspective/view/values will show through 100% on this replacement.
Agreed. Hayes was hired by Rabinowitz and then football was killed and Hayes left for Brown.
The President has far more pressing problems. The Law School where he taught and was the Dean before becoming President is really on a precarious footing. The University had to cut 11 staff members and give the law school an additional $4M subsidy, enrollment is down there and the median LSAT score for the 2017 class is around the 52nd percentile. The law school has an endowment of $47M. (All in Newsday article). Rabinowitz stated that he did not see the bottom dropping out of Hofstra's law program but expects the law school to be on an upswing. The law school is ranked in the bottom 40% of all law schools -- a huge swing that when Rabinowitz was dean and became President the school was in the top 40% of law schools.

Undergraduate enrollment is down and admission standards are going to be tested because of New York State's economic program for free college for those families under $100K to $125K. Private schools will be under pressure.

Money is the issue here. Rabinowitz is not a sports person. Do not expect big bucks. The person will probably earn less than Hathaway.

Hofstra is a step stoning program for any AD. Hathaway was the exception. After his UConn tenure - you can look that up yourself (http://articles.courant.com/2011-08-19/ ... san-herbst)

Hofstra was (and maybe the best attainable for him after what happened at UCONN) a good fit.

No one would go from UConn to Hofstra. Hathway did the best he could but remember he interviewed for the Saint John's AD job and then withdrew. Though SJU was paying less than Hofstra, that program is light years ahead of Hofstra. Hathaway has a good national reputation so obviously he will move on. Hathaway did a lot for Hofstra on many levels. Hathaway inherited a football less Hofstra and made it respectable again.

Hofstra will not get a background like Hathaway for the new AD.

SEE: https://www.newsday.com/long-island/edu ... 1.14656194
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Not sure if the arguments about Hathaway's replacement are all valid.

Fiscally, Hofstra is in a pretty good place as compared to five years ago. Rabinowitz is a tremendous fundraiser- the endowment is approaching half a billion! The goal is to get the University less tuition dependent, which I believe is happening.
(I think the Law School is just suffering from decreased demand in the field ) So the money should be there. Whether it gets allocated to athletics is another matter, but I am holding out hope that we will get a seasoned, quality individual at the top post. I think the whole Cassara experience may have soured the administration on grooming an inexperienced leader.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: He def has P5 athletic chops and ties to the northeast...
Connecticut isn't P5. The AAC is the sixth best football conference and was seven in the 2016-2017 Men's Basketball Conference RPI. Playing football hurt Connecticut in other sports. There are in a worse basketball conference than the Big East, and most AAC teams require significant flights to places like Southern Methodist, Memphis, and South Florida. I wonder how Connecticut's revenue from football compares to the travel in all sports being much more expensive than if they were in the Big East and didn't play football. The top six Men's Basketball conferences in the Conference RPI were the P5 and the Big East, which no longer exists in football. The only P5 teams in New York, New Jersey, and New England are Syracuse, Rutgers, and Boston College.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

joeg1 wrote:Not sure if the arguments about Hathaway's replacement are all valid.

Fiscally, Hofstra is in a pretty good place as compared to five years ago. Rabinowitz is a tremendous fundraiser- the endowment is approaching half a billion! The goal is to get the University less tuition dependent, which I believe is happening.
(I think the Law School is just suffering from decreased demand in the field ) So the money should be there. Whether it gets allocated to athletics is another matter, but I am holding out hope that we will get a seasoned, quality individual at the top post. I think the whole Cassara experience may have soured the administration on grooming an inexperienced leader.
Agreed. Rabinowitz can raise money. Hofstra is still so dependent on tuition. There is decreased legal demand. But Saint John's Law for example did not tank.
I forgot about Mo honestly. Hofstra's enrollment is down from five years ago. Remember football was cut because of many reasons and the Law School is Rabinowitz's history as well as the medical school. The University spends money on debates and such and that is great. The University spent an additional $11M on the Law school in the last 4 years and this year's entering class - 50% of them scored below the LSAT 50% and Hofstra's bar passage is down vs. the medical school - top 1/3 ranking and huge match results. All I am saying is Rabinowitz focuses on academics and fundraising.

The endowment has grown but you do not want to spend money from there on anything. Hofstra's graduation rate in 5 years is less than 65%. Almost 20% of freshman transfer out and Hofstra relies heavily on transfers. So Rabinowitz may hire someone who would want to keep the status quo. We have all debated whether Hofstra would cut golf, tennis and other programs..luckily they have not.

The status quo is not going to help you win in D1 Basketball which is the flagship sport.

The status quo cannot continue at Hofstra if the school wants to get back fully into the landscape.

Money is the issue and do not expect big money to be thrown around in sports anytime soon. Hofstra is not attracting nearly the number of applicants like its peers, Saint John's, Fordham or NYU - 50K applicant range.

The bottom may fall out on the undergraduate enrollment. Hofstra's enrollment is 50% NY and 50% outside so the state's free SUNY/CUNY college will affect Hofstra's ability to attract the best.

The debates were great. But the University spent $9M in fees just to get to apply. They added much to the reputation of the University. Spend $9M on sports and academics now and build better quality students and give more support to sports and athletes.

Hathaway is leaving and Hofstra AD position is not coveted in Division 1.

I hope they get an experienced AD.