MBB - Exhibition @ Fairfield, 10/23 7 pm

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB - Exhibition @ Fairfield, 10/23 7 pm

Post by Polito »

Welcome triplec, great to have another active poster aboard!

Guys, I know it wasn't our starting five...but let's not act like it was only walk-ons. It wasn't. It was:

JWF
Buie
Gustys
Angus
Sabety (and yes, he had a good game)

Those are all either starters or starting quality. The team got their a$$es handed to them by 16, let them score 94, AND 61 from 3 for goodness sake.

Stop making excuses. Ray's a true frosh, Conner played 13 minutes and Schutt 1. No impact on this game outcome. The rest played below standards and produced stats reeking of rust. Why? That's what Canada was for. Man up and play.

So once again when HU isn't raining 3's they can't win? Can we not make an adjustment? Can we not play a different style when shots aren't falling? Can we not play an ounce of defense? When is this staff going to show improvement folks?

Tired of the talk from the staff that they know D has to improve - yeah, no shi!t, been that way 5 yrs going - it's below HS level - no more talk, when is it going to change???

HU shot horrificly, I get that. Tough to win when the guys you play don't make their shots. But there is absolutely no excuse for this staff and their Jr's and Sr's to not find a different way to win and to be complete swiss cheese on D.

They had their practice in Canada. They should have been ready to play, right down to the last man. Fairfield was.

Sorry, what we saw in that exhibition is completely unacceptable, and I ain't buying excuses this year. I am all 'show me state' this year. Prove yourselves. SHORT LEASH.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito, believe me THE SKY IS NOT FALLING! This team was set up very differently esp in the back court where we wanted to have bigger, more defensive minded guards....they did not play against Fairfield....Wormley and Pemberton...so Fairfield did what teams did against us last year...they shot OVER us...then throw Connor K into the mix and he could NOT get through any ball screens...more threes! Ray looked pretty lost out there as well....continued to get used on screens and guard moves to the basket...we had NO ONE off the bench...the gym was about 100 degrees and our seven guys (really six) were gassed... Oh and by the way, Fairfield had at least 11 guys play significant minutes...If you think this performance is indicative of what to expect this season then you are SADLY mistaken! I love your PASSION...but EVERYTHING can't be so BLACK AND WHITE...we can't be WORLD BEATERS one day and dogs the next!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

The score matters as much as nfl preseason. Opportunity to work on a few things....
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

joeg1 wrote:The score matters as much as nfl preseason. Opportunity to work on a few things....
Totally agree...more "Secret" scrimmages to come...know there is one vs. St. John's
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

It was a scrimmage where two of our starting guards didn't suit up, that was a 3 point game at half. Let's fire Mihalich.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Every year he says "we need to work on D". Would love to know if he is ACTUALLY doing anything to "work on D" in practice. Highly doubt it.

Joeg1 - agreed - JM only looked down upon the whole situation instead of highlighting the good points from the game - and when asked about JWF and Sabety he blatantly ignored the question and went on to complain in a very general - NON-CONSTRUCTIVE way.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

3 Wright-Foreman, J 8-24 2-7 1-2 1-7 8 3 19 2 1 0 2 39
11 Gustys, Rokas * 7-9 0-0 2-4 2-2 4 6 16 3 3 0 1 24
20 Ray, Jalen * 3-9 2-8 2-3 0-0 0 3 10 0 0 0 0 31
4 Buie, Desure * 2-10 0-5 4-5 0-4 4 2 8 6 4 0 0 36
12 Angus III, Joel * 2-6 0-0 3-4 3-5 8 1 7 1 2 0 1 34
33 Sabety, Hunter 8-9 0-0 2-5 6-5 11 6 18 0 0 0 1 22
23 Klementowicz, Connor0-1 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 13
25 Schutte, Kevin 0-0 0-0 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

These are the stats for this exhibition game. It seems like a lot of people are making too much out of a game that was intended to raise money for a good cause(s). Does anyone out there think this team resembles what will be Hofstra's starting 5 or their bench?? I haven't seen any of these new players other then on video. IMO it appears that Joel Angus could start on this team and possibly Wormley. Both of these players are far bigger then what was on the floor last year. Buie while a highly regarded player out of H.S. needs to prove he can shoot the ball on this level.Hofstra played this game with no Pemberton probably there second best scorer from the perimeter. I would imagine that Radovic would have seen considerable action in this game and Trueheart. Both Radovic and Trueheart are big and could create serious problems for opponents having to guard them on the perimeter with smaller players. Trueheart had a nice pedigree in H.S. Lets not jump off the roof just yet boys this game was much ado about nothing and remember Fairfield is predicted to be one of the best teams in the MAAC.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HEY!! A Flying Dutchmen sighting! Hm, I'm beginning to think you don't like me?!? And that just can't be!! LOL, nah just a coincidence - it's still good to see you back around! :P :lol:

Oh, hey, since you're back, guessing you're out for the Dutch Nation shirt right? Just asking for Stu and Cactus. :D

HUSID, not sure who said HU are world beaters... can you clarify? Def wasn't me.

It's an exhibition. Played only 7 guys. And basically 6 of them played subpar. Certainly have to believe JWF plays much better. Totally get all that.

But I am not a believer that Wormley is going to be the difference maker, or that this team is going to play D1 level D this year...or that JM and this staff will not force things unnecessarily... or that they will utilize players and rotations properly - the honeymoon is over, it's time for RESULTS. Perhaps that is where I differ with some - and I am totally fine with that.

(Especially considering some of you around here also think HU Men's Lax and ST are fine... :roll: :? :lol: )

Agree and know full well this is not a good indicator of this seasons success, not new folks lol, but I do see it as a strong hint of some continuing crap. Mike34 gets it. When is it going to CHANGE?

My patience with JM is dwindling quickly, as is my confidence he can lead this program to conf championships and the NCAAT. This is a telling year. If he can't, then YEP, IMO it would be time to check options.

I believe JM was the right guy to "right" the ship. Fully supported the hire, good move, and he did a great job. However, I have MAJOR doubts he is the one that will then take HU to an elevated level. Have seen nothing post-Green. NOTHING. This year or bust for me. Let's see how it goes...
garyg

Post by garyg »

This is the year JAM must make his mark...we make it to the BIG DANCE or bust !!!!
Flying Dutchmen

Polito, Nothing personal, I just can't stand your flaming hot takes over an exhibition game. It brought me back off the message board sidelines!

Would I be surprised if our defense stunk this year? Absolutely not, we were 311th in adjusted defense last season, pitiful. It's just hard to make a legitimate assessment of the team in an exhibition game, where it looked like the main goal was to get Buie and Ray some burn with the big men.

To me that game was actually a good sign because it looks like at the very least, we will have an 8 man rotation (Rok, Sabety, Angus, Pemba, JWF, Buie, Ray, Wormley). It would be our deepest team in years, and it may improve our defense because we will have the depth to play more aggressively on the defensive side.

If by CAA play we still have that 311th rated defense, I'll be burying the staff myself, because I do think this is a pivotal year; but I'd like to go into the season with some positive vibes. It seems like Mihalich and Company did a decent job in the off-season upgrading the team deficiencies.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

During Media Day yesterday, JAM mentioned that the team has had 10 different injuries since October 10th.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Really? Do other teams have this problem? Last year we only a few injuries but they were to key players who played they them
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Yes, it's preseason, but it's also indicative to some degree. Sam Hinkie used to say every game is a data point.

Our "standard" game last year was letting up 90+ points, including 30+ to the opponents best player, while scoring in the 80's. Great box scores, but teribble W/L records. It's not exactly reaffirming seeing this exhibition turn out the exact same way...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

hU87 hit the nail on the head. This year even with s skeleton crew I expected to see some defense. Fairfield had3 blocks to our none. I don’t expect Gustys to be a shot blocker but with Sabety and Gudtys on the floor the same time for several minutes. Why no blocks at all
Polito

Post by Polito »

HaHa I LOVE it FD, and take that as a full compliment! :D spitting fire and brimstone out here to get some of you characters up off it!

Hey, I'm with ya on most - def want to go into a new season with positive vibes, and would love to feel confident in utilizing a full roster. No issue at all with them getting others burn while some of the key guys are nursing injuries.

Certainly a pivotal year, and I also agree with liking the changes made coming into this season. Now let's see if this staff actually knows how to use it properly, because they have caused a LOT of doubt in that area in the past.

The fact they've had so many in just the offseason is pretty concerning. Not really their 'fault', just obviously not a great feeling. The little depth they finally have can disappear quickly. And what we just saw in the exhibition is a sample of the likely outcome in that case.

HU87 my friend, you are right on the money. So for any of you who can't handle my fire and passion, well first you should put your big boy/girl bottoms on, but second you can simply refer to HU87's simplified even keel version, which in effect says exactly the same thing. And it's 100% right, regardless of who delivers the message or how, the bottom line is it's RIGHT. And it's not good.

I repeat, short leash.
Flying Dutchmen

Did JM mention if any of the injuries will keep anyone sidelined for the beginning of the year?

I was playing golf with a varsity HS Hoops coach on the Island last week, so of course I brought up Hofstra's defensive woes. His defensive philosophy is man to man all the time, and his rationale was that switching defenses all the time is just too complicated, even if his team had a physical disadvantage.

Obviously that's on a high school level, but I think it applies to Hofstra too. I thought we switched defenses so much last season, we got sloppy with all of them. We had lots of success down the stretch in '16 sticking with that 1-3-1, and we ended up 145th nationally in adjusted defense, 3rd in conference play. I really hope the staff can find a base defense and stick with it for the majority of the season. If we find that success we had in '16 we should finish top 3 with the offensive ability we have.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

You need to play more than six or seven players to have an effective defense. I hope we can go 10 deep this year to keep everyone fresh.

BTW, I won't be able to use my two tickets to the first two games. If anyone's interested in taking them, please PM me.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Ok got some inside information on this year's team. Word is that the starters, at least if they are all healthy should be Rok, Angus, Wormley, JWF & Pemberton. They are comfortable going to at least an eight man rotation with Sabety, Radovic, Buie and even Truehart and the frosh guard getting some minutes. The depth will be key to a better defense along with the bigger guards...we got ABUSED by bigger guards last year...key to our porous defense and a BIG reason we needed to play zone.
On the recruiting front, no one appears to be close to signing, and before Polito gets his panties in a wad, they are planning on signing at least two JUCOS, and TYPICALLY JUCOS sign LATE. Team feels they can't throw freshmen into the fire up front to replace Rok and Sabety. Hopefully Truehart and Schutte develop this year to be serviceable pieces for the future.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Anyone know the extent of the injuries? Sounds like nothing serious.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:Ok got some inside information on this year's team. Word is that the starters, at least if they are all healthy should be Rok, Angus, Wormley, JWF & Pemberton. They are comfortable going to at least an eight man rotation with Sabety, Radovic, Buie and even Truehart and the frosh guard getting some minutes. The depth will be key to a better defense along with the bigger guards...we got ABUSED by bigger guards last year...key to our porous defense and a BIG reason we needed to play zone.
On the recruiting front, no one appears to be close to signing, and before Polito gets his panties in a wad, they are planning on signing at least two JUCOS, and TYPICALLY JUCOS sign LATE. Team feels they can't throw freshmen into the fire up front to replace Rok and Sabety. Hopefully Truehart and Schutte develop this year to be serviceable pieces for the future.
I'm fine with the JUCO route - in fact the JUCO C we just offered would be fine. Big 6'10" kinda reminds me of RG. Does a lot of pick and rolling. If he could rebound even close to RG, he would be fine.