MBB - Exhibition @ Fairfield, 10/23 7 pm

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

MBB - Exhibition @ Fairfield, 10/23 7 pm

Post by ProudofPride »

Great opportunity for the team to play an extra game tonight against D1 competition, added bonus that fans can go. Fairfield has been picked in the first half of the MAAC is most things I saw, so it should be decent competition.
Looks like there will be live stats for those who can’t make it to CT. http://www.sidearmstats.com/fairfield/mbball/
stuball888

Re: MBB - Exhibition @ Fairfield, 10/23 7 pm

Post by stuball888 »

Spoke to Stephan Gorchov. He said there will be live stats. Would love to go but I am leaving on a redeye early tomorrow morning for Nashville
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I know this game doesn’t count for anything besides some extra pre-season playing time, but our season is at all like the first half of this game, then it will not be pretty. Gave up 50 first half points to a team that only averaged about 73 points total last season, and that’s on 50% shooting, with 62% shooting from 3. Down 50-47 at the half. Fairfield then promptly scores 7 straight points in the first minute and half of the second half, pitting us down by 10. Ugly.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Seems like they are treating it like an exhibition. Pemberton, wormley and others haven’t even seen the floor. And Connor K he walk on has played.

On another note the live stat platform looks better than last year.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HofstraMathew wrote:Seems like they are treating it like an exhibition. Pemberton, wormley and others haven’t even seen the floor. And Connor K he walk on has played.

On another note the live stat platform looks better than last year.
Very true, thanks for pointing that out. This is pretty much the "B" team on the floor, besides Gustys and JWF. Radovic hasn't played either, and he was one of the top players on the Canada trip. I think the walk-on has seen more minutes this game so far than he saw all of last year combined.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

I'd like to disagree about your "B-team" comment ProudofPride. Totally incorrect and unnecessary to say at this point in time IMO.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Mike34 wrote:I'd like to disagree about your "B-team" comment ProudofPride. Totally incorrect and unnecessary to say at this point in time IMO.
Poor choice of wording there, my bad. Just going off of the preseason trip, most of the players on the court tonight were not the same ones that had most of the minutes on that trip, when the team went 4-0.
Cards

Post by Cards »

regardless of who played, still two bad indicators.
4 for 21 3 pt shooting - not acceptable for any D1 team
RG and HS had too many fouls - not acceptable for upperclassmen, have they not learned anything?

Given the skeleton squad for today, there were times when RG and HS played together. I wonder how that worked/looked.

Anyone have info on why no PT for so many? Please tell me we don't have anyone nursing injuries already :shock:
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Stats wise, looks like Sabety did pretty well for himself. I do agree I would like to see less fouls for him, though.
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOL annnnnd so it begins!

That Joe Mihalic-lead Hofstra D baby!! Tremendous - 5 yrs and still can't produce a serviceable D1 defense. I know it's an exhibition and they did not play their full compliment, but frankly HU played enough of it's talent that getting absolutely trounced by Fairfield is just pitiful.

Before the excuse makers find their way to this thread, I understand the Stags are a good mid for the MAAC... but my gosh they are not THAT good. As usual, an opponent looks like world-beaters against HU, with guys having all-conf nights - ridiculous we have to deal with this BS every year.

Good to see JM's incessant strategy of shoot a million times a game and change absolutely nothing when the players can't hit the broad side of a barn is still in effect. This will surely produce conf championships and NCAAT appearances - must be a total fluke it hasn't already.

I can just imagine how scared Nova must be - eat your hearts out you Wildcats! We are gonna rock your world in Dec - your heads will be spinning with how many shots we take with no real in-game plan, no adjustments, and no D whatsoever!! In honor of the LI suburban shopping mania, our motto is "SHOOT TILL YOU DROP!!" ... "DROP right out of any meaningful post-season!"

Always a good idea to be a detrimental level of stubborn and keep beating the programs head against the wall. Who the hell needs X's and O's anyway?! SO overrated. Just shoot baby!! Frig D! This is an all-out PARTY!!! Just keep on dancing, ignoring fundamentals, and ref complaining to 5th place and an early CAAT exit!

What was the point of that Canada trip again?

:roll: :x :roll: :x :roll: :x

Ok, back to normal. Just an exhibition. Can't throw in the towel yet. Right? :shock:
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:regardless of who played, still two bad indicators.
RG and HS had too many fouls - not acceptable for upperclassmen, have they not learned anything?

Given the skeleton squad for today, there were times when RG and HS played together. I wonder how that worked/looked.

Anyone have info on why no PT for so many? Please tell me we don't have anyone nursing injuries already :shock:
Went to the game. We dressed 7 guys including walk on Connor...if act he became the first guard off the bench. So from the standpoint of any indications as to what this team will be like this game had ZERO value. What I heard from someone in the stands, may have been a player's father, was that Pemberton, Wormley, Truehart, and Radovic (sp) were ALL nursing injuries...so in effect we were playing without THREE starters.

Hopefully these injuries are not serious...to start off the season with a MASH unit would not be good!

In addition, it looks like Rokus hurt his groin late in the second half and did not return. All in all a rough night for the Pride
Polito

Post by Polito »

BS excuse.

It's Fairfield.

So we have no bench? What will they do against the CAA?

This was a joke of a performance. And quite unacceptable. 5 years HUSID...5 years. This is starting to go very much the way of Mens Lax. You guys all good with that?

Hate to hear about the injuries. That stuff is tough to control. But I fully expect HU to field 10 guys who can play some D and beat teams like Fairfield. I know it's unfair to expect to win a lot during the yr with backups, but hell, they absolutely should've been able to at least COMPETE with Fairfield.

Got their a$$es kicked.

Doubt in JM and Co. is at an all-time high for me.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID74 wrote:
Cards wrote:regardless of who played, still two bad indicators.

Went to the game. We dressed 7 guys including walk on Connor...if act he became the first guard off the bench. So from the standpoint of any indications as to what this team will be like this game had ZERO value. What I heard from someone in the stands, may have been a player's father, was that Pemberton, Wormley, Truehart, and Radovic (sp) were ALL nursing injuries...so in effect we were playing without THREE starters.

Hopefully these injuries are not serious...to start off the season with a MASH unit would not be good!

In addition, it looks like Rokus hurt his groin late in the second half and did not return. All in all a rough night for the Pride
Injuries already? Gustys has to stay healthy for this team to have a chance at anything.

Mihalich should let Speedy coach defense. He was an excellent defender.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:BS excuse.

It's Fairfield.

So we have no bench? What will they do against the CAA?

This was a joke of a performance. And quite unacceptable. 5 years HUSID...5 years. This is starting to go very much the way of Mens Lax. You guys all good with that?

Hate to hear about the injuries. That stuff is tough to control. But I fully expect HU to field 10 guys who can play some D and beat teams like Fairfield. I know it's unfair to expect to win a lot during the yr with backups, but hell, they absolutely should've been able to at least COMPETE with Fairfield.

Got their a$$es kicked.

Doubt in JM and Co. is at an all-time high for me.
When your sixth man is a walk-on its tough to compete with ANYONE let alone a pretty decent Fairfield team...Were you there? Did you see Fairfield? Can you name ANY of their players? Sure, no excuses, we lost the game, but I'll bet you if it was a regular season game some of the guys sitting out would have played the result would have been different. We had SEVEN dressed; six scholarship guys and one walk-on, then we lost Rokus...even YOU have to admit that does not indicate ANTHING. As I said before this game proves absolutely NOTHING
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Jojogunne wrote:
Injuries already? Gustys has to stay healthy for this team to have a chance at anything.

Mihalich should let Speedy coach defense. He was an excellent defender.
Disagree on the Gustys comment, because I think your second comment about Speedy is more relevant. IMO, we need another coach besides Mihalic to take charge for this team to have a chance at anything :roll: :lol:

On a serious note - Sabety deserves a shout-out for his stats last night (yeah yeah fouls shmouls - y'all already saw my comment above on that). It wouldn't kill us to applaud him in this thread one time. He is the best backup for Gustys, and I am EXTREMELY hopeful that we will see them on the court at the same time this season. I think there is some serious potential there.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I haven't posted before but have been watching Hofstra basketball since the mid 70's. My take on the exhibition game vs. Fairfield. Based on http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/men ... 4-previews Fairfield is ranked #107 in the country while HU is ranked 133. I don't know much about this web site or how much credence to give to their basketball evaluations. It looks like Fairfield started what could be there starting 5 and Tyler Nelson the guard that scored 30 pts. averaged 19.5 points a game last year. This site ranks Fairfield the #2 team in the MAAC. I don't know who will be Hofstra's starting 5 but JW-F, RG, EP shoe ins to be three of the starting 5. I'm not making excuses for HU losing this game but clearly their starting 5 was not on the floor. I'm with everyone who is disgusted with their lack of defense and this comes as no secret to the coaching staff as the area that needs the most improvement. I believe that HU will have a bigger team on the floor this year and will rebound and defend better than last year. IMO the keys to the season will be at point guard and how the new additions are able to blend with the returning starters as well as how good their bench will be.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Welcome to the boards TripleC
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Thank you happy to put my two cents in!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: So we have no bench? What will they do against the CAA?
There's a difference between having five good starters and not many bench players compared having to start players who should be on the bench because three starters are hurt.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

From JM's post game interview, I got the impression he was more concerned with giving some of the squad a look under game conditions than the actual outcome, and rightly so. He did imply we needed some work on D. Don't think it's time to panic. Should be used as an opportunity to calibrate for when the games count.