MBB - Exhibition @ Fairfield, 10/23 7 pm

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: MBB - Exhibition @ Fairfield, 10/23 7 pm

Post by EvanJ »

HU87 wrote: Our "standard" game last year was letting up 90+ points, including 30+ to the opponents best player, while scoring in the 80's. Great box scores, but teribble W/L records. It's not exactly reaffirming seeing this exhibition turn out the exact same way...
According to teamrankings.com only including games between two Division I teams, Hofstra was 68th in points per game at 76.9 and 278th in points per game allowed at 77.4. Hofstra allowed at least 90 points in 5 out of 32 games. Hofstra went 1-4 in those games and scored at least 80 in 4 of those with 73 vs. Kentucky as the exception. The win was 92-90 over Bradley.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I log on and was taken back (in a not so good way) by the huge amount of replies to this thread.

Look, I am as excited for the season as can be, but let's not analyze this game to death. It was an exhibition game to raise money for hurricane relief. It wasn't the CAA tourney. Seems like there was some good and bad to be taken away. This was by no means foreshadowing every game for the rest of the season. I get that some of the same mistakes SEEM to be popping back up, but give these guys SOME chance to prove their improvement. New season; fresh start.

It was just one game that didn't count. Let's not destroy our keyboards just yet.
Polito

Post by Polito »

You sure you wanna be bringing up the CAAT?

We have given a chance. They are on their 5th, matter of fact.

Repeat after me: No. Excuses. The leash is short in my book, it's time for this staff to PRODUCE. From the START.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HUSID, thank you for the inside take, great stuff.

Now, let's get real on that stuff - me smells some bologna:

We keep hearing this bigger guards beat them narrative - interesting. Well Wormley is the only guard change in the starters, and he literally has 1 inch on BB. *1*. Angus def brings more size and beef to the post which I think is what is actually going to make the impact, but that has nothing to do with bigger guards beating HU's. I am to believe 1 inch in the guard core is going to make all the difference? Ain't buying it. Now I DO hope that Wormley is a MUCH better defender than BB, so perhaps the combo is what will make the improvement (which is what this staff should've been saying).

But see so is Buie, and IMO Buie should be starting with Wormley off the bench to spot check certain scenarios and opponents. But hey let's see if the staffs planned roster usage actually works and makes sense this time...they have left a lot to be desired there.

8? No, they should be comfortable going 10 deep - there is no reason not to. They've had plenty of time and pre-season games to get 10 ready to go.

Agree fully that this depth and new talent should allow for MUCH better defensive strategy. Question is will they actually implement and execute it?

Now, recruiting. LOL, oh boy, where to begin. So once again no one close to signing, yet other CAA and mid programs land commits? But it's all ok, right? AMAZING. Just AMAZING. That is complete horsesh!t. No issue with Juco's, but no early signings is a flat out failure by this staff, and is unacceptable. The class needs are HUGE, 4-5 guys. You don't play games with that, you go out there and do your job and SIGN the required talent asap like everyone else.
Team feels they can't throw freshmen into the fire up front to replace Rok and Sabety.

Really?? That's interesting considering that is EXACTLY what they did with Rok. See you only can't do that when you don't recruit properly. I really want to continue to love and support this staff, but my patience is about out. This really feels like they selling a bag of fake goods to us fans. Hope I'm wrong. Because for all this waiting game BS they have everyone doing, I expect the payoff will be SICK/4* talent. Course, we all know that's not the case. It will be simply decent talent. The same they could and SHOULD be landing early.

There is absolutely no excuse for this paid staff not to land early signings 5 yrs in when their competition is doing EXACTLY that - absolutely NONE.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Polito wrote:You sure you wanna be bringing up the CAAT?

We have given a chance. They are on their 5th, matter of fact.

Repeat after me: No. Excuses. The leash is short in my book, it's time for this staff to PRODUCE. From the START.
Exactly. That is my point. This is their 5th chance, and if this WAS the CAAT then I'd be perfectly fine with all of this disappointment and frustration. In fact, as I've said in the past, I'll give them this as their last year to prove themselves. But this was not the CAAT, and that is the point I'm making.

And I'm totally with you on "Produce from the START" BUT, this is not the start. The start is On November 10th. Let's see how they handle West Point and then we can begin discussing. Not a scrimmage for Hurricane Relief that clearly didn't feature the starting five.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Good to have you back around Jordan - I hear ya bud, no issues with the perspective of an exhibition ... but come Nov. 10, the gloves come off. This staff is on 'Polito Notice'.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Polito wrote:Good to have you back around Jordan - I hear ya bud, no issues with the perspective of an exhibition ... but come Nov. 10, the gloves come off. This staff is on 'Polito Notice'.
Fair enough! :D
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra and Fairfield got 7 points each in the Preseason Mid-Major Poll. College of Charleston is fourth. Wichita State is ineligible because they moved to the American Athletic, so it's easier for other teams to make the top five or ten.