CAA Media Day and Pre-Season Poll

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

CAA Media Day and Pre-Season Poll

Post by HUSID74 »

Yesterday was the CAA Media Day. We were ranked fourth in the pre-season behind overwhelming favorite Charleston, Elon and Towson. JWF was projected as a First Team selection, Rokas a second teamer and Pemberton received and honorable mention. What do we all think????
Cards

Re: CAA Media Day and Pre-Season Poll

Post by Cards »

I agree that CofC is the favorite and that Elon, Towson and HU round out the top four teams. Not sure I agree with the order of second through fourth place though.
I am expecting JWF to be first team and I am expecting Rok to return to sophomore year form and also be first team. EP should have good season also - maybe second team. Finally, I have high expectations for MR and am looking for all rookie team.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:I agree that CofC is the favorite and that Elon, Towson and HU round out the top four teams. Not sure I agree with the order of second through fourth place though.
I am expecting JWF to be first team and I am expecting Rok to return to sophomore year form and also be first team. EP should have good season also - maybe second team. Finally, I have high expectations for MR and am looking for all rookie team.
Cards, if we land all those guys on the all-CAA teams that would mean we won the League! I'm all for it!
garyg

Post by garyg »

I think if our guys play to their potential and we avoid serious injuries we have a good shot at the title...
Cards

Post by Cards »

Cards wrote:Cards, if we land all those guys on the all-CAA teams that would mean we won the League! I'm all for it!
you got that right HUSID74
Cards

Post by Cards »

Rokus Gustys named to Karl Malone Award Watch List. Watch list is 20 top PF/C in D1. Rok should be extremely motivated to have a good year. Not only is this year his last at HU, but this year will set the stage for what I imagine will be a pro career in Europe. Let's go big man, crank it up this season!!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID74 wrote:Yesterday was the CAA Media Day. We were ranked fourth in the pre-season behind overwhelming favorite Charleston, Elon and Towson. JWF was projected as a First Team selection, Rokas a second teamer and Pemberton received and honorable mention. What do we all think????
Sounds exactly right to me, actually. They have enough depth and talent overall, and potential from the new guys, to challenge for the league title - but also lost to Delaware in the conference tournament last year. Gustys had a disappointing year without Juan'ya and PG is still a question mark.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

If HU gets outdone by ELON, this staff should be fired.

Ok, joking, but not joking.

Let's cut the BS. 5 years in, talent and depth, underperforming recently, unfulfilled expectations, no more Keatts, if JM and Co. can't get this ship on a championship track then it's time to plan a transition.

There is really no excuse this year. I am concerned that this staff MUST show they are not going to be mediocre, that they have what it takes to produce conf titles and NCAAT appearances.

This has simply not been proven yet... at all. Patience is certainly important for a mid major, but frankly 5 years is enough proving ground. It is time to WIN, period.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote:Rokus Gustys named to Karl Malone Award Watch List. Watch list is 20 top PF/C in D1. Rok should be extremely motivated to have a good year. Not only is this year his last at HU, but this year will set the stage for what I imagine will be a pro career in Europe. Let's go big man, crank it up this season!!
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men ... lone-award says there were 21 nominees, of which 6 do not play in the top seven conferences from last season, which is a higher percentage of players than what mid-majors sometimes get.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I took a few minutes and listened to the media day clips from JM, and JWF, EP, RG.

To a man, they all said that the number one thing they need to do this year is play better defense. Recognizing the problem is half the battle, and it appears clear that they have done that. Of course fixing the problem and implementing the changes needed are the tough ones. We shall see......

On the question to the players "Who on the team do you think will surprise everyone this year". Interestingly all three said DB.
Polito

Post by Polito »

"Your actions speak so loudly I can't hear what you say."

Players and Staff: --->>> PROVE IT.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

From Bleacher:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741 ... -18-season

11. Colonial Athletic

For the first time since losing VCU, George Mason and others a few years ago, the CAA is ready to send a second team to the NCAA tournament.

Among the conferences we've hit on to this point, College of Charleston is the best team in the country, as the Cougars get back every noteworthy player from what was already a 25-win team. Towson, Elon and Hofstra are all going to be not too far behind, threatening to steal the title from the Cougars. And unlike the field of potential bad-loss landmines in C-USA, the CAA is respectable all the way down to its basement.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Interesting...

I don't see 2 bids yet. This conf does not have enough hype yet post-VA 3 to garner 2 bids from the NCAA selection committee. Not yet... but that could change with some big non-conf W's across the board, and someone knocking off CofC in the conf champ game.

CAA needs a couple of years of knocking down solid P5 teams to gain the national respect 2 bids requires for a mid major conf.