MBB 2017-18 non conference schedule released

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB 2017-18 non conference schedule released

Post by ProudofPride »

That might be the worst home schedule we have ever had, Army, Kennesaw State, and Malloy. Disappointed that they couldn't find a date that worked to actually host Manhattan at the Mack so it didn't have to be at Adelphi. The only saving grace is that Villanova is pretty much a home game.

Nice to see Monmouth on the schedule as well.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stonybrook and monmouth are both close enough to go to
Polito

Post by Polito »

What happened to the live release?? I always enjoyed their insight as to the opponent and why it was scheduled. Do even they think it's that bad?!? :?

Well, I like most of the opponents honestly, looking at just the teams it's a good schedule (Army is a somewhat fun deal for reasons other than hoops, the Classic will have good opponents, Monmouth is great, good local/regional battles against Siena, Manhattan, SBU, and of course the biggest game in recent program history IMO, 'Nova).

But then you realize it's literally 75% away...good Lord 3 home games? Against Army, KSU, and MOLLOY???? Good grief. Are these guys trying to achieve zero attendance? Is it a personal challenge to have less and less fans every year??

And I agree wholeheartedly, Manhattan is a great opponent and I fully understand coaches desire to have a game before Nova and all of the school rules during finals time... BUT to lose that draw to ADELPHI is extremely bad. That would likely be the highest attended home game for goodness sake. Find a way guys, FIND A WAY. You don't give your biggest home draw to another school - get your logistics together :x

Really pitiful. And people are supposed to buy season tix and donate? For what exactly? How in the world are we supposed to build our fan numbers? This is a brutal sell for the school and for our Dutch Nation. This will be atrocious for trying to build excitement going into conf play.

JM, you boys better WIN.

Otherwise better start budgeting to pay people to show up.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Yes certainly not the best we've had. Wish they could've pulled in a game similar to the Saint Bonaventure game. Also loved the live release video, that was always fun. The bright side is that the home opener is a Friday night, Veterans Day weekend against Army! I feel like that scenario can/should get a lot of hype. Army (West Point) is fairly close, plus the Veterans Day weekend could make for an interesting crowd (maybe have TWO military appreciation day games this year??)

I guess all in all, let's look at it as an out of conference schedule that has some winnable games (hopefully). Plus the Stony Brook games are always a riot, and can't ask for much more in terms of the Villanova game. Maybe the Charleston Classic will teach us how to win in Charleston again.

There's been some worse years, and in my conversations with Coach Mihalich, out of conference scheduling is a very tough job for the coaches/ADs. If it was up to them, every game would be at home against the best schools possible, but unfortunately through the confusion and sometimes incompetence of other schools also trying to schedule the best games possible, it can sometimes seems impossible. Whatever, the way I see it is some fun road trips!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Why do we have to play a home game at Adelphi. Isn't the PFCset up for basketball It can hold over 1,500. Will we draw over that at Adelphi
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to John Rothstein, HU vs Dayton in the first game of the Charleston Classic on Thursday November 16th. Dayton is coached by former Alabama and VCU coach Anthony Grant.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

stuball888 wrote:Why do we have to play a home game at Adelphi. Isn't the PFCset up for basketball It can hold over 1,500. Will we draw over that at Adelphi
Probably not enough parking and facility staff to handle a game at the PFC and commencement at the Mack at the same time.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:Why do we have to play a home game at Adelphi. Isn't the PFCset up for basketball It can hold over 1,500. Will we draw over that at Adelphi
I don't think the basketball practice facility side of the PFC is able to host spectators, in pretty sure only the volleyball side is, with the bleachers.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The PEB is not set up for basketball anymore- the clocks, the paint on the court, all that is volleyball only.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

As a non long islander, I am a fan of Monmouth and Rider on the road. I will def. be at those games. Will make it to the Nova game as well. Home schedule is wack though.. I wish we had something a bit more enticing to fans than Kennesaw State and Molloy.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Excellent news about Dayton, thank God HU is playing a high end program in that classic - this will definitely help - usually a ranked team - HU will certainly have it's chances to make noise on a national level - the upset opportunities are there, just a matter of pulling them off!

The teams on the sched are really not too bad considering, it's just a home slate that is near embarrassing. I get that it's hard, it's hard for EVERY mid major program - stop the excuses, get someone on this who can and WILL make it a priority - it takes focus and relentless pursuit

They're halfway there honestly, because the OOC marquee games have been SUPER - that's part of the battle and they have been significantly better than the previous staffs - that's a definite victory - but the home games are more often than not completely deflating

And it SHOULD be a priority considering this has major implications on fan excitement, engagement, and the desire to actually purchase season tickets or packages.

I think the Army game with the Veterans element can be cool and intriguing, and should absolutely be a sellout (even though it won't because they have no clue how to actually market properly to sell out that arena), but can't say I or others will have any ounce of desire to watch KSU and Molloy.

They better have tremendous combos available that include the Nova and Manhattan games.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Here's the Charleston Classic Bracket:

http://gohofstra.com/documents/2017/7/2 ... racket.pdf

Would love to see a title game between HU and ODU, for old times sake!
Cards

Post by Cards »

For credibility sake, I'd love to see a Dayton, Clemson, Temple string of victories. Boy that would be sweet!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JAM discusses the non-conference schedule with Stephen Gorchov
https://www.facebook.com/HofstraMBB/vid ... 205479330/
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

According to this interview, the team is practicing Monday and Tuesday over the summer. It looks like they're in the arena. Anyone know what time?
Polito

Post by Polito »

One thing is for sure, this team is going to be road tested and tough - and partially in Charleston no less - that HAS to help them come CAAT time.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Jojogunne wrote:According to this interview, the team is practicing Monday and Tuesday over the summer. It looks like they're in the arena. Anyone know what time?
So, does Mihalich run open practices? I remember Pecora would, but I don't think I've been to a Mihalich one yet.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Jojogunne wrote:According to this interview, the team is practicing Monday and Tuesday over the summer. It looks like they're in the arena. Anyone know what time?
I think the basketball action going on outside Mihalioch's office was Hofstra summer camps and team is practicing in PFC facility.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Call the basketball and speak to Clarice Smith. She will give you the days times and lication