MBB 2017-18 non conference schedule released

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB 2017-18 non conference schedule released

Post by ProudofPride »

Speaking of this coming season, there are some very encouraging tweets by JWF and Pemberton.

https://twitter.com/pemcruise25/status/ ... 9977019392
https://twitter.com/JayWright_3/status/ ... 8200399873
https://twitter.com/pemcruise25/status/ ... 6404016128

And an added bonus, check out Pemberton in the weight room :shock:
https://twitter.com/pemcruise25/status/ ... 3695371264
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Pemba deadlifting 315 pounds. Impressive
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOVE these tweets

This is a crucial year for Pemba IMO - he showed flashes last year, but also had a lot of to be expected 'still learning' moments - needs to show big improvement this year and start to become the player I believe he can and will be

HU needs him to be a STUD, starting now.
Cards

Post by Cards »

FYI - many other teams in CAA already have the CAA in conference schedules on their websites.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:FYI - many other teams in CAA already have the CAA in conference schedules on their websites.
What schools? I just looked and couldn't find any. Most didn't even have the OOC for 2017-18. (FYI looked on mobile so maybe the full sites had it but mobile wasn't updated)
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I think this is the best OOC schedule under Mihalich so far. The only negative is the home slate at the Mack where we only get 3 games, 2 of which are real snoozers (I like the Army game as the season opener). The Manhattan game at Adephi is bizarre and should have been avoided, but at least it'll be something different and should be a good game. The rest of the schedule is as good as it can possibly be considering St John's is still ducking us.

Villanova and Dayton- GREAT for our SOS, and the remaining opponents in Charleston tourney shouldn't hurt it either.

Siena and Rider- solid opponents that will be a challenge on the road

Stony Brook and Monmouth- Excellent opportunity for this board to organize something as a group and support HU on the road. These matchups are good enough for us to make this happen.

I believe Monmouth is a multi-year agreement, so we should get them at the Mack in 2018.

Overall, its a schedule that will prepare us well for conference play, which is all that matters anyway. If we could give Nova a game, and knock off Dayton, that would be bonus!

Still have 3 months to go!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: FYI - many other teams in CAA already have the CAA in conference schedules on their websites.
James Madison's website doesn't have a 2017-2018 schedule yet.

The 12 non-conference games are fewer than in four of the last five seasons when Hofstra played 13 or 14.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Cards wrote:FYI - many other teams in CAA already have the CAA in conference schedules on their websites.
Sorry guys, my bad. Don't know what I was looking at that gave e that impression.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I actually agree Dooku in terms of opponents, if you just look at that/the quality, this is definitely a step in the right direction - it's just the home slate that is very poor

But I suppose it really is hard to complain when they have finally achieved Nova vs HU, and right next door no less - that is a feat, and a very commendable one

I think that game will be a helluva lot of fun, might be a battle at times - certainly have to logically think Nova takes it considering the talent and coaching they have, but hey ya never know.

But I'll tell ya, I think HU can make noise in this Charleston tourney - I very much like the Dayton draw - I think HU matches up very well with them, size/position and talent - they have a new coach (familiar foe Anthony Grant), a different roster with some newer/unproven players, and I think they are beatable at this stage - one big coming off injury I believe, another key guy redshirting, just a new look all around for them from what I can tell - I probably wouldn't like it much in a couple of years once Grant gets his system and players in place, but right now this is a game up for grabs, and I think HU is ripe for it.

And their fans think HU is not good at all - obviously they likely don't know much about HU or the CAA, and I don't expect them to - HU is not even a thought, they're already planning for the next games - I'm ready for HU to show out and show them what's brewing up here. And I think they can.

Based on early reports, this could be a year where the boys in blue and gold are truly ready to ROCK.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Of note here, the women's schedule was just released. I was hoping there'd be another season opening double-header, but it looks like unfortunately that's not the case. That was always a fun way to start the season.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Per Monmouth's beat writer, HU/MU is a 4 year deal.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I like that deal with MU a lot - good job by the staff

They should be a solid mid for this timeframe, some good recruiting for them going on. keep it coming staff...
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The conference portion of the schedule is being announced tomorrow at 2pm.