CAA Social Showdown- Hofstra on July 14

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: CAA Social Showdown- Hofstra on July 14

Post by ProudofPride »

Don't forget to follow to CAA on all platforms today (Facebook, twitter, instagram, and snapchat) for a look at all things Hofstra. and Michaela Transue is taking over the snapchat account, for a behind the scenes look.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This is a fun thing they're doing, but honestly I just can't get into the 'CAA' anymore :? - don't feel any real affiliation or connection to it.

Just too much second hand/second class treatment over the years, think I'm way jaded at this stage.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like some of the great battles we've seen (UNCW, CofC, etc.), some of the in-season rivalry type moments, some of the player specific matchups, the growing detest of the little napoleons, etc. :)

But its a clear separation to me. Not the best thing I know, and I would prefer it to be different... hoping one day either I can get back there, or HU moves on - but right now, I really feel zero alignment.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito the reason you feel that way is because Hofstra doesn't have a true rival in the CAA
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I've been loving this! I thought Michaela Transue did a really fun job with the Snapchat account. So far she seems to be one of the only one's that I've seen from the schools to put a fun personal twist on it (maybe other schools did but I started following on Hofstra's day). It was also a cool way to learn about the different schools.

Yes Polito, I do agree with you 100%. I never have felt a true attachment to the CAA. Besides the fact that we've been members for a lengthy period of time and have seen each school numerous amounts of times, the CAA feels very distant (both literally and figuratively). As you mentioned the UNCW and CofC battles have been entertaining but you are forgetting about the dreaded William and Mary! Dating back to the Charles Jenkins buzzer beater, we have been the thorn in each others sides always producing extremely entertaining basketball. All of that being said, I beat the dead horse with my main point of: terrible location.

Boy would I love a promotion to the A10 where hometown rivalries could easily ensue. For now though, promotion would not be deserved by any means. Maybe a Championship title and a couple of NCAA tournament wins later could shed some light on the endless conference struggle that is Hofstra and the CAA.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

4 out of 9 CAA opponents are in Maryland or north. Half of the Atlantic 10 teams are George Mason or closer (all of the rest are north of George Mason but this excludes Dayton and Duquesne because of how far west they are. I don't want Hofstra to be in a conference with that many teams. Let's say Hofstra joined the Atlantic 10, which would give it 15 teams, and Hofstra's average finish was 12th. Would the additional media attention be worth averaging 10 wins a season (something like 4-14 or 5-13 in the Atlantic 10 with 5 or 6 out of conference wins)?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Right on the money Stu.

Didn't forget them Jordan, who do you think the 'little napoleons' are? :D

I agree Evan that I don't want HU in a conf that big... however I don't agree with being weak and thinking a move up means bottom of the barrel finishes - programs that think that way stagnate and die - programs that think bigger and approach with a strategy to rise up, change, and improve, are VCU. It can absolutely be done. Esp in the fertile recruiting markets that HU already does work in (NY, VA, top prep, etc.)

But goodness gracious does HU need some visionaries. Been getting passed left and right for years. If this dept had some big thinkers, HU would BE one of those mid major programs we are envious of - heck, even LIBERTY is going FBS in football for goodness sake - I remember traveling there my first year with the band for HU road game - I mean, it's the Marshalls, the ODU's (hoops and pigskin), the VCU's, and watch out, JMU is poised beautifully to do something bigger one day soon too

It's sad and very VERY frustrating.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra isn't as good as VCU, and George Mason hasn't been one of the top teams in the Atlantic 10. I'm not saying Hofstra couldn't move to the Atlantic 10 and eventually be good. From 2008-2009 through 2013-2014 (starting with the season after Jenkins was a freshman and ending with the latest season that a player could have played four seasons and graduated), there were six seasons. How many good players started in one of those seasons and spent four seasons at Hofstra? How much would moving to the Atlantic 10 help if Hofstra doesn't market more and doesn't spend money on 13 scholarships instead of 11? How much do people in the area care about the Atlantic 10 considering Fordham got worse attendance than Hofstra in 2016-2017? George Mason's 2016-2017 attendance was 38 percent lower than their 2006-2007 attendance the season after going to the Final Four. Only two Atlantic 10 teams, Dayton and VCU, had a higher 2016-2017 attendance than George Mason had in 2006-2007. I think what Hofstra needs is winning, not playing a harder schedule and losing more.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Some great points Evan - with you on most

Moving up doesn't guarantee anything, and I absolutely would not move up UNLESS HU had the right commitment from the top - and right now, they don't - athletics needs a MUCH higher priority to be successful, even at this level, as we are seeing

I do think with the proper commitment HU in a better or more appropriate conf would be more attractive to fans - this area def cares more about the A10 schools than the CAA - as you mentioned FU is a good example that it's not cut and dry, but they are also a unique situation

No one gives a rats you know what about watching HU play most of the CAA - despite the egos some of their fans have, New Yorkers couldn't give a rip about them, and couldn't even place most of them on a map, much less recognize they are good programs or in the CAA... hell they don't even know what the CAA is - HUs home schedule is extremely lackluster both in and out of conf, and one of the many reasons season tickets and attendance needs improvement - tough grinding games in a brutal to win mid conf that doesn't care about you in the least for 1 measly bid leaves a lot to be desired - at least the A10 has NY history

The A10 would almost guarantee a ranked team or 3 coming to Hempstead every yr - and considering HU went toe to toe with VCU GMU and ODU on a regular basis, they can absolutely compete with most in the A10 - the upper tier would be a gauntlet until HU had the right level of talent - which of course is no guarantee (i.e. FU) - basically, a lot of ifs - interesting to think about though

VCU is better than HU now because they COMMITTED more - HU could absolutely accomplish the same and more with the right leadership and vision

And that is where this whole convo is moot :lol: until that changes, it's going to be a long bumpy road

Lastly, you are 100% right that HU needs one key thing no matter where they are: a LOT more winning.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: The A10 would almost guarantee a ranked team or 3 coming to Hempstead every yr - and considering HU went toe to toe with VCU GMU and ODU on a regular basis, they can absolutely compete with most in the A10 - the upper tier would be a gauntlet until HU had the right level of talent - which of course is no guarantee (i.e. FU) - basically, a lot of ifs - interesting to think about though
Hofstra went 8-15 vs. GMU, 9-14 vs. ODU (excluding one loss in 1993-1994), and 5-15 vs. VCU, for a combined winning percentage of exactly 1/3rd.
Polito

Post by Polito »

There is no question HU needed, and NEEDS, to fair better against key competition. No argument from me there!

Matter of fact, I have been screaming for better results for quite some time now 8-) this needs to be the year we see the real fruit.

Although I imagine if those records are broken down by year, most of the lopsidedness is from the initial years in the league (?) - HU, at least in my mind lol, seemed to compete with those programs more evenly as the program got acclimated to the league...
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: There is no question HU needed, and NEEDS, to fair better against key competition. No argument from me there!

Matter of fact, I have been screaming for better results for quite some time now 8-) this needs to be the year we see the real fruit.

Although I imagine if those records are broken down by year, most of the lopsidedness is from the initial years in the league (?) - HU, at least in my mind lol, seemed to compete with those programs more evenly as the program got acclimated to the league...
Hofstra was 10-8 in the CAA in their third season, and made the NIT in the three seasons after that, so you can only call first two seasons the acclimation period. Hofstra went 2-4 each of those seasons against GMU, ODU, and VCU, which is the same winning percentage as for all games against those three teams since we joined the CAA.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well, certainly can't argue with cold hard numbers - if dems the facts, then dems the facts!

My mistake for trying to go toe-to-toe with you in that area Evan, clearly that is your domain, and I am just a guest! :D

Thanks for the insight - no question then, HU struggled against those top 3 for the duration. Unfortunate, because I think with the right leadership HU should be able to compete easily within the CAA, and with the middle to lower A10 (which would include the likes of GMU).

Think HU is clearly behind VCU by a good margin - but again, I think that's an issue of priority, leadership, vision, etc. This program has nothing holding it back, other than ITSELF. Firm believer in that.

Again, unfortunate.