MBB Trip to Canada

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: MBB Trip to Canada

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:Any updates on the game against Concordia
Not very good.... https://mobile.twitter.com/HofstraMBB/s ... 6437264384
Most starters are in foul trouble, but as we saw last night, the backups are more than capable.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Well we were leading by 2 at the half. Any other updates
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We won 99-87, looks like we had a much better 2nd half. Gustys somehow ended up with 10 fouls, not sure if that's a typo or if that's actually allowed in Canadian basketball.
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/9 ... 0544422912
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like there's actual broadcasted video of today's game against Mcgill
https://portal.stretchinternet.com/mcgill/
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Stream is phenomenal. Turns it on: Mihalich gets a technical. Yikes.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jordan wrote:Stream is phenomenal. Turns it on: Mihalich gets a technical. Yikes.
I turned it to Rokas missing 2 free throws in the 3rd quarter, just goes to show that some things just never change, whether it be coach getting techs or someone leaving free points on the table. We looked awful in the 3rd quarter, were up 9 at one point in the game, down 5 at the end of the quarter. If we don't tighten things up, we could actually lose this game.

i agree on the stream, very impressed by the announcers as well. The quality of the stream and the announcers are better than what some D1 schools have, including some in our own conference.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

To answer the foul question: For the McGill game, the commentator stated that the teams agreed on 8 fouls per player max. So I don't think that 10 fouls is a typo. Canadian rules seem to allow more fouls and I guess each game the teams negotiate certain rules.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

That is a successful road trip !!!

Things to work on and things to work from......
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Final score ?
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

I was able to catch the 4th quarter today. 88-76 was the final. Radovic looks like a player and JWF is in mid season form. He is the type of talent that can take a team to the tournament all by himself. If we don't win the CAA in either of his last 2 seasons, I give up!

Overall, the Montreal trip looks to be nothing but a positive experience for the team in terms of building chemistry on the court and also off the court based on some of the pictures they posted on social media. Good vibes heading into this season, hopefully a sign of things to come.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

in today's post-game press conference, JAM mentions that they actually played 5 games, they had a closed scrimmage against Carleton on Wednesday. Carleton is typically a very good team, at least by Canadian standards. They beat Alabama earlier this summer, and beat Siena just a day or 2 before they played us. Stephen Gorchov mentioned in that interview that the team technically went 5-0 in Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUah2zOCoQY
Cards

Post by Cards »

OK - based on watching some of the video and looking at the box scores, here are some of my observations (coming from a fan in the seats perspective):

No secret here - JWF is phenomenal! Unstoppable! Kid will lead CAA in scoring this year and will be HU go to guy in every pressure situation.

Getting Radovic was an absolute steal. Don't know why this guy was not recruited by a ton of schools (maybe it was the euro thing), but he can really play! As a true freshman, this guy will have a major impact on our program his first year on the team. Very good shooter, great size, hustles, rebounds, can pass well. As someone already said, he is a more athletic and talented Denton Koon. Good chance for CAA ROY.

Rok is Rok. Expect lots of double doubles (especially with defensive attention drawn away to our guards and other forwards). Expect at least 12 rebs per game. I don't expect better than 50% at the FT line. I was watching closely his FT attempts and his stroke is much smoother than I have seen. He's not pushing the ball nor is he severely rolling it off his fingertips. He appears more balanced with a little more flex in the knees. I think 50% is doable.

DB is our only point guard. He is healthy and looks to be in great shape. He still has the pass first mentality yet can still throw up points when the opportunity presents.

KW is not a true point. He is talented and has good size. He can score as needed, but assists look to be his second priority. He looks to really be a nice player on the defensive side. A nice addition in that regard (huge difference compared to what we lost via graduation).

JA III is a solid player. Not the guy who is going to be in the spot light, but a guy we sorely need. Good size, can score and rebound. Will definitely take some of the rebounding pressure off of RG (as will MR).

EP - I expect solid contributions from EP in his second year. I did not see much of him on video, but we already know what we have.

Hunter - I expect the same as last year (and that's not a knock). Great replacement when RG needs a break. We know what we have.

Truehart - Moves well for a 6'8" guy. Like the fact that he is a threat from 3. Saw him playing some time in the middle and was glad to see him not afraid to mix it up. Gives us a lot of flex in our front line (something we have not had for many years).

JR and TC - did not see them enough to comment. TC will sit this year.

CK - best bench cheerer in the CAA. Love having him on the team.

Schutte - don't think he made the trip. Rumored to redshirt anyway.

Other than RG,HS, and JA III, this team can get 3 point production from everyone. Very high on Radovic. JM should be very excited about this team for the next few years. I think we are very much improved in bench strength, bench flexibility, rebounding, scoring options, and DEFENSE (helped by more size/length, and JM "getting the message"). Although we did not add another true PG, I think our core of guards will be doing quite a bit of dishing as a group. I think JWF is underrated in that area and will get plenty of chances to dish when he is double teamed this season. EP can pass, and of course there is no issue when DB is on the floor. All that being said, I think HU should be a top tier CAA team this year (with potential for a very successful season).
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Interesting article with all NCAA teams that played Canadian teams this summer. Looks like only 2 D1 teams went undefeated, us and SMU.
http://usportshoops.ca/mbb2017/cisncaa.html
garyg

Post by garyg »

Cards wrote:OK - based on watching some of the video and looking at the box scores, here are some of my observations (coming from a fan in the seats perspective):

No secret here - JWF is phenomenal! Unstoppable! Kid will lead CAA in scoring this year and will be HU go to guy in every pressure situation.

Getting Radovic was an absolute steal. Don't know why this guy was not recruited by a ton of schools (maybe it was the euro thing), but he can really play! As a true freshman, this guy will have a major impact on our program his first year on the team. Very good shooter, great size, hustles, rebounds, can pass well. As someone already said, he is a more athletic and talented Denton Koon. Good chance for CAA ROY.

Rok is Rok. Expect lots of double doubles (especially with defensive attention drawn away to our guards and other forwards). Expect at least 12 rebs per game. I don't expect better than 50% at the FT line. I was watching closely his FT attempts and his stroke is much smoother than I have seen. He's not pushing the ball nor is he severely rolling it off his fingertips. He appears more balanced with a little more flex in the knees. I think 50% is doable.

DB is our only point guard. He is healthy and looks to be in great shape. He still has the pass first mentality yet can still throw up points when the opportunity presents.

KW is not a true point. He is talented and has good size. He can score as needed, but assists look to be his second priority. He looks to really be a nice player on the defensive side. A nice addition in that regard (huge difference compared to what we lost via graduation).

JA III is a solid player. Not the guy who is going to be in the spot light, but a guy we sorely need. Good size, can score and rebound. Will definitely take some of the rebounding pressure off of RG (as will MR).

EP - I expect solid contributions from EP in his second year. I did not see much of him on video, but we already know what we have.

Hunter - I expect the same as last year (and that's not a knock). Great replacement when RG needs a break. We know what we have.

Truehart - Moves well for a 6'8" guy. Like the fact that he is a threat from 3. Saw him playing some time in the middle and was glad to see him not afraid to mix it up. Gives us a lot of flex in our front line (something we have not had for many years).

JR and TC - did not see them enough to comment. TC will sit this year.

CK - best bench cheerer in the CAA. Love having him on the team.

Schutte - don't think he made the trip. Rumored to redshirt anyway.

Other than RG,HS, and JA III, this team can get 3 point production from everyone. Very high on Radovic. JM should be very excited about this team for the next few years. I think we are very much improved in bench strength, bench flexibility, rebounding, scoring options, and DEFENSE (helped by more size/length, and JM "getting the message"). Although we did not add another true PG, I think our core of guards will be doing quite a bit of dishing as a group. I think JWF is underrated in that area and will get plenty of chances to dish when he is double teamed this season. EP can pass, and of course there is no issue when DB is on the floor. All that being said, I think HU should be a top tier CAA team this year (with potential for a very successful season).

Great Post Cards...very excited about upcoming season [s]...if we stay reasonably healthy we have real good flexibility on roster and should cause some damage in CAA
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Very well put Cards. Love the honest review of the roster. All very accurate.

Now, to emphasize what garyg said: We NEED to stay healthy! It seems like we have been plagued since Mihalich's first year of just simply lacking depth. Almost seems like every year we say, "This is the year, we have the depth!" And somehow a couple of games in we feel short handed. Of course injuries are just part of the game, but with this full roster consisting of lots of talent, a healthy year can be the key to a successful stint in conference play.

Seems like they proved winning capabilities up north; now let's get it done in November! :D
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Gary nice play on words. You probably didn't realize it. Post should have read nice post,Cards instead of nice post cards
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Jordan wrote:Very well put Cards. Love the honest review of the roster. All very accurate.

Now, to emphasize what garyg said: We NEED to stay healthy! It seems like we have been plagued since Mihalich's first year of just simply lacking depth. Almost seems like every year we say, "This is the year, we have the depth!" And somehow a couple of games in we feel short handed. Of course injuries are just part of the game, but with this full roster consisting of lots of talent, a healthy year can be the key to a successful stint in conference play.

Seems like they proved winning capabilities up north; now let's get it done in November! :D
I agree with Jordan. Always seems like the team starts the season with depth and then...BOOM
Love what I am seeing/hearing about Radovic (MR) - if he is a more talented Koon - then what a "get" for us! I always thought Koon was a do-it-all guy (a little rusty, slowed by injury) but a real solid player for us.
I trust our guard play will be solid and deep - JFW, EP, KW, JR and DB athletic, quick, solid.
I season hinges on our front court development. RG needs to have better season then last - JA seems to be a nice rebounding filler and I believe we all know what HS can and cant do - but IF MR and ST prove to be capable athletic big rebound pass score down low and perimeter we should have a nice season.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Been meaning to jump back in here...

Look, I don't want to knock one of our own, I appreciate the work KW will hopefully do for HU, I just don't like being force-fed lies to cover up gaffs - and the staff claiming that he is the missing link is absolutely ridiculous - it is unfair to him, and an insult to real/knowledgeable fans. I hope he surprises me, but the facts so far is he is a marginal at best PG who has averaged 2 assists per game...as a starter...for his entire career. He doesn't create, he doesn't dish, and he is an avg shoot-first player - that is in no way shape or form what HU needs from the 1.

IMO, he will be a lesser version of Powers, with ultimately, way less stats - and although DP was a good player, he was a bad PG for this system - I see much worse production from that spot with KW. Again, hope I am wrong, but the Canada trip has only added more proof to the pudding. 30+ minutes a game, and his assists numbers were terrible. Scored a few pts the first game, and brought very little else to the table. I hear a lot about D, but what proof is there that his defense is an impact?? Steals? Blocks? What? I see nothing. So far, he's just 6'4. Great lol but not enough - need talent.

The PG spot was the #1 need to fill, and IMO, this is one of the first times I will say the staff failed miserably. No excuse for it. Really like most of what they are achieving on the trail, but this was a huge miss - no sugarcoating it. Hopefully Ray will be a star and help to ease things there - even though he's really a 2, I think he can also spread the rock well - may be a great combo type.

That said, I actually am starting to think the staffs plan is different. I think they are going for a 'floor general by committee' approach, where the other guards on the floor are equally tasked to create and dish as the point. And I think this could work ONLY due to the talents of JWF and EP. Buie we know is a true point, so if the 4's can also play the inside-out game, then this team could be fine even with KW's style of play.

REALLY like the potential of the 4's, I think they addressed that spot well from what can be assessed so far - Angus looks like a great compliment to Rokus in the post, and this Radovic fella could be a steal - just remember, he's a freshman - he'll likely have some streaky shooting games, but he looks to be a prototype stretch 4, and that was also a huge need for this team - kudos to the staff on their solid work filling that spot.

I also have a different take than most on Rok - I actually do not see him as the key to the season this year. I think he is simply one spoke on the wheel, as opposed to last yr, which is exactly what he does best and where I think he can shine. I believe the team has enough around him now to take most of the scoring burden - he can now focus on rebounding, scoring some easy buckets under the rim or on pick and rolls, and just be a big body space-eater in the middle. Whether he has an all-conf year or not will not have a big impact on this team going far IMO. Which is very unlike last year when the team got jack from the 4, and it's other studs were still young and developing.

Guys like JWF, EP, DB who are now a year further along, and now the new productive 4s, should greatly ease the weight - I think this year the *4* is going to be the key to the season. Forget PG, because it ain't happening. JWF and EP should be fantastic together. Production from the 4 will be the difference-maker. Just my take, will be fun/interesting to see how it plays out...

ROLL PRIDE baby!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:That said, I actually am starting to think the staffs plan is different. I think they are going for a 'floor general by committee' approach, where the other guards on the floor are equally tasked to create and dish as the point. And I think this could work ONLY due to the talents of JWF and EP. Buie we know is a true point, so if the 4's can also play the inside-out game, then this team could be fine even with KW's style of play.
Cards wrote:Although we did not add another true PG, I think our core of guards will be doing quite a bit of dishing as a group. I think JWF is underrated in that area and will get plenty of chances to dish when he is double teamed this season. EP can pass, and of course there is no issue when DB is on the floor.
I think we are thinking along the same line Polito. Looks to be a PG by committee approach. I don't know if this was by design or if JM simply realized he has an overall core of guards who might "fill" the PG role as a group. If this is to be the approach, then the "floor general" is JM on the sidelines. Kinda like the way baseball has evolved. Used to be where the field general was the catcher, and now it is the manager calling pitches and directing the defense from the dugout. Maybe there is a parallel. As an old school baseball guy, I always liked having a guy on the field as the leader.....but times have changed.

I think for this year, the closest guy to being the leader on the court will be JWF. He will be backed up by EP and DB. Based on what we saw last year, it won't be RG....and the other guys are too new or one and done guys. What we have seen develop is that this is JWF's team. He is now "the guy".
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

The way I see it, we may not have the point guard roll clearly defined- just guards. I think it may evolve to a state where DB, KW, EP, JR and JWF all share in the roll.