Is There A List Of non-Hofstra Games Played at Hofstra?

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Is There A List Of non-Hofstra Games Played at Hofstra?

Post by EvanJ »

Excluding Hofstra, the Cosmos, and any other professional teams that played home games at Hofstra, is there a list of non-Hofstra games played at Hofstra? For NCAA Men's Lacrosse tournaments, saying the year is enough. I don't need a list of the games within the tournament. I'm a soccer fan, and the United States Men's National Team hasn't played in New York state* since November 30, 1984. The U.S. Soccer Media Guide says the game was in "Long Island" without naming a town. Another website says the game was in "Hempstead" without naming a stadium, and I'm assuming it was at Hofstra.

* I said "New York state" because the United States Men's National Team has played games in suburban New Jersey since then.
HofstraHockey

Re: Is There A List Of non-Hofstra Games Played at Hofstra?

Post by HofstraHockey »

Softball and volleyball for years have hosted invitational tournaments, which means that lots of other teams are playing games that don't involve Hofstra.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This year, Stuart Stadium hosted a women's lacrosse game between #5 Syracuse and #12 Northwestern, I have no idea why it was there since neither team played Hofstra at all. The stadium also hosts the NYC vs LI football game, as well as the FDNY vs NYPD game annually.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

They stopped hosting the Police/Fire game when it became nothing but drunken brawls. It was a disaster.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

EvanJ wrote:Excluding Hofstra, the Cosmos, and any other professional teams that played home games at Hofstra, is there a list of non-Hofstra games played at Hofstra? For NCAA Men's Lacrosse tournaments, saying the year is enough. I don't need a list of the games within the tournament. I'm a soccer fan, and the United States Men's National Team hasn't played in New York state* since November 30, 1984. The U.S. Soccer Media Guide says the game was in "Long Island" without naming a town. Another website says the game was in "Hempstead" without naming a stadium, and I'm assuming it was at Hofstra.

* I said "New York state" because the United States Men's National Team has played games in suburban New Jersey since then.
That is cool information Evan about U.S. national team playing at Hofstra, which I had never heard before. If you get any details please share here. That was before stadium was expanded so it only sat around 7,000 back then so surprised they played here, although that was before national team had gotten established so not as much of a following then,

Another big soccer event at Hofstra was the Long Island Rough Riders hosting the then New York/New Jersey Metro Stars in 1997 and 11,658 attended. Michael Lewis from Big Apple soccer details the game in this story http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cos ... e_id=34440
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: Excluding Hofstra, the Cosmos, and any other professional teams that played home games at Hofstra, is there a list of non-Hofstra games played at Hofstra? For NCAA Men's Lacrosse tournaments, saying the year is enough. I don't need a list of the games within the tournament. I'm a soccer fan, and the United States Men's National Team hasn't played in New York state* since November 30, 1984. The U.S. Soccer Media Guide says the game was in "Long Island" without naming a town. Another website says the game was in "Hempstead" without naming a stadium, and I'm assuming it was at Hofstra.

That is cool information Evan about U.S. national team playing at Hofstra, which I had never heard before. If you get any details please share here. That was before stadium was expanded so it only sat around 7,000 back then so surprised they played here, although that was before national team had gotten established so not as much of a following then,

Another big soccer event at Hofstra was the Long Island Rough Riders hosting the then New York/New Jersey Metro Stars in 1997 and 11,658 attended. Michael Lewis from Big Apple soccer details the game in this story http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/teams/cos ... e_id=34440
I don't expect the U.S. to play at Hofstra again. The game in 1984 included Paul Caligiuri, who scored the goal in 1989 that qualified the U.S. for World Cup 1990 after failing to qualify nine consecutive times. http://www.rsssf.com/tablesu/usa-intres-det80.html has the attendance for some games, but not the game at Hofstra. To show the lack of interest back then, the U.S.'s game after that got 4,000 fans at the Miami Orange Bowl (which has been demolished and now Marlins Park is there). Wikipedia says the Miami Orange Bowl had a capacity of 75,500 then.

On another note, a Google search for [usa soccer roster "hometown"] found Hofstra's roster as the 19th result, and the first result of any school. I don't know why. I put my search terms in brackets here rather than quotes because I used quotes in the search.