Who Fills Their Mens Hoops Class First, HU or UNCW?!? LOL

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Who Fills Their Mens Hoops Class First, HU or UNCW?!? LOL

Post by Polito »

This should be fun to watch... if you're UNCW.

HU on the '17 job for who knows how long, only 2 spots filled, and seemingly getting beat like a drum on the trail, feeling like desperation mode is close.

UNCW with a brand new staff on the job all of 3 weeks, and not being an impressive hire at all, and not even a full staff yet, just landed their 1st commit, one of the top remaining targets in GA (3 star and #19 per 247), a strong scoring 6'5 guard hitting 40% from deep.

I mean isn't scoring JM's thing?? I'm not saying this kid is a superstar, but he seems every bit as good as what HU is after. Where is HU's '17 impact class, staff??

And let's keep in mind this is UNCW's SECOND round of recruiting in the same class, after losing all 5 from the coaching change. HU on the other hand has been going at this class for two full signing periods, and everything before and in between.

Now there's still a lot to go, and HU can still get this right, BUT Lord help them IF they somehow get lapped by a late starter in the most vital race in this entire game.

Man, I wish I knew how to do a poll on here... maybe someone can help - let's take a vote: Who fills their class first?!?
HUSID80

Re: Who Fills Their Mens Hoops Class First, HU or UNCW?!? L

Post by HUSID80 »

UNCW Is the Iona of the CAA. They can get anybody in....different ballgame.
Polito

Post by Polito »

That is interesting HUSID, I'm very surprised to hear that take.

I have never ever heard that about UNCW. With all due respect, I'm skeptical of it. They seem right on par with HU - that makes it sound as if HU is somehow much tougher on admissions than the W, and I don't believe that for a second. What's their academic ranking compared to HU? I don't see either being any tougher than the other quite frankly.

You and I are on the same page with Iona, that is a clear known element at play. Half of their teams over the years would not be a take for HU, whether because of academic or personal challenges.

But the W?? Really?? I'm going to need some kind of evidence or intuitive perspective that makes it pretty clear. Their best player was a D2 transfer - that doesn't exactly scream shenanigans.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito, they can get anyone they want in esp if its a kid from NC...take it to the bank.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If that is the case then we are in the wrong conference. If the excuse for not winning is academics then we should either be in the patriot league or the a-10
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Who said we are not winning? We have won 20 plus games two out of the last three years...and guess what the academics in the A10, with certain exceptions are pretty spotty...do you think of VCU as an elite academic institution?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

John it's about winning the conference and getting to the NCAAs. First excuse wascVCU plays at home in the CAA tourney being in Richmond. Now it UNCW has an unfair advantage because they let anyone in. Sorry that didn't stop Delaware and Northeastern from winning CAA titles
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Stu, we went to OT in the conf final two years ago. Our best player had his worst game of the year...we can't expect an NCAA berth as the yardstick for success every year at our level...would you agree that an nit berth is a successful season for a mid major?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

John to me true success is winning a CAA title and going to the NCAAs. The NIT is a nice consolation prize. We have been in the CAA I thinl 15 years and are 0-15 in CAA mens basketball titles.At least delaware and Northeastern have won and they said a northern team could not win in the CAA. Northeastern prove them wrong.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

The NIT is not a consolation prize, especially when comparing the strides from Post-Cassara to the NIT team with Mihalich.

That being said, the goal every year should be to win the Conference Tournament and go to the NCAA's. If that is not every single player/coaches mindset, then they don't deserve to be in D1. I don't think any of us say, "I hope we go to the NIT this year! Can't wait!"

But, doesn't it seem pretty unfair to Juan'ya and Ameen's team, to call that year a failure? We all know the ending to that game. It was anybody's game to win. That was no failing team.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No one said failure disappointing yes
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80 wrote:Polito, they can get anyone they want in esp if its a kid from NC...take it to the bank.
Also of note, UNCW has had several players suspended from the team, for what they labeled as either "detrimental conduct" or "violation of team rules". For example, Chuck Ogbodo was sent home during an early season tournament this year for the Seahawks due to conduct. Hofstra has had 0 players (that I know of) get in any sort of trouble like that over JAM's tenure year, and in my opinion, that's something to be very proud of. Especially after the whole iPad debacle, I'm all for taking good quality people that happen to also be good athletes, I'd rather not take the chance on players with a spotty last.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Jordan: Nope, sorry, it was a failure. It was NCAA or BUST that year. They busted.

Sure, they were a good team, won a lot of games, it was a fun year. But don't sugar coat it - they lost the one that mattered most. It happens. Doesn't mean they're bad guys, a bad team, or didn't try. But they failed to achieve the goal, PERIOD. And it completely deflated the entire season.

The NIT is normally a strong year for a program like HU, I do agree with that. But there are certain years when you gotta get your ish together and get it done. That was 100% one of them. The windows are small in this mid major world. And when you don't, it is a failure. You don't get accolades just for trying hard. Learn from it, get better, and achieve the goal next time. And when you do, you will then EARN the right to be called a CHAMPION and your season a SUCCESS.

Stu: I am. It was a failure. End of that story.

PoP: Never knew that. And neither does anyone else. Obviously was nothing major, so no one cares or remembers that. They only remember UNCW's 3 trips to the dance.

*I am NOT saying I want to take kids that are trouble. Just saying let's not overdue it. I love that HU has had a clean program with upstanding citizens. That is important to me too, and this staff and team deserve all the credit in the world for that fact, because as we know, it isn't easy to produce those kind of results.

Now, that said:

You know what else HU has 0 of so far in JM's tenure??
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: We have been in the CAA I thinl 15 years and are 0-15 in CAA mens basketball titles.At least delaware and Northeastern have won and they said a northern team could not win in the CAA. Northeastern prove them wrong.
This is season 16 in the CAA. The way to remember is that season 1 was 2001-2002.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

EvanJ wrote:
stuball888 wrote: We have been in the CAA I thinl 15 years and are 0-15 in CAA mens basketball titles.At least delaware and Northeastern have won and they said a northern team could not win in the CAA. Northeastern prove them wrong.
This is season 16 in the CAA. The way to remember is that season 1 was 2001-2002.
Stu they said a Northern team couldn't win the CAA when VCU, George Mason and Old Dominion were in the league...MUCH tougher than it is now for sure.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Vcu odu and mason out for 7 years. What's our excuse now. I say no excuses to quote Larry the cable guy. Just git er done!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

stuball888 wrote:No one said failure disappointing yes
Fair enough.

Sorry Polito, but this isn't gym class (you either pass it or fail it). There's a wide range that a season can be graded on. Sure, we can deem a season as 'Successful' if we win the tourney and make the NCAA's. But to just deem all progress and accomplishments made that is NOT that, as a failure? Well, that's just irrational. It almost seems insulting to our stars of Juan'Ya and Ameen; pulled this team out of the dumps, won first place Regular Season, NIT, etc. and just label it as a FAILURE. That's such as harsh word. I can't imagine what their reactions would be to this. It almost seems as if you're not giving ANY credit where credit is due.

Like I said, sure it might not have even been considered a SUCCESSFUL season, given the lack of winning the title and NCAA. But a complete failure? No. Disappointing? Yes.

I can 100% agree that there certainly is no excuses to be had now. NCAA is always the goal and nothing below.
Polito

Post by Polito »

And BOOM, UNCW lands their SECOND - a 6'8 225 transfer

I mean holy s what the hell is going on here????? HU staff is getting smoked. This is absolutely embarrassing.

Hey Joe, GET A DAMN RECRUITER ON THIS STAFF ASAP. I don't care if you have to ADD them or REPLACE someone, just GET THIS FIXED.

Just got equaled by a brand new staff on the trail all of 4 weeks. 4 WEEKS to land 2 recruits at positions of need, yet HU is still fumbling around after months and months of recruiting and stuck praying for scraps like a damn D3 Juco.

What a friggin JOKE.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito I love your passion but you have no clue as to what is going on behind the scenes. Please avoid suicide BEFORE this season of recruiting is done. Save your epithets until all is said and done.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Jordan wrote:The NIT is not a consolation prize, especially when comparing the strides from Post-Cassara to the NIT team with Mihalich.
Look, Joe did a nice job bringing in talent early on, but Cassara was able to get a commit from Marquise Moore when the laptop thing was still fresh, too. He better hope Jalen Ray is that kind of talent because the recruiting class is severely lacking this year right now. I can understand if people are starting to get the feeling that next season might be a wasted one.