Hofstra/Hofstra Sports and the New Free College Cuomo Plan

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
hofstrahall

Hofstra/Hofstra Sports and the New Free College Cuomo Plan

Post by hofstrahall »

Well this will impact enrollment at Hofstra and probably athletics.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/york-lawm ... 42846.html

It has been noted on several threads that enrollment is down and Hofstra applicant pool is barely 30,000 and the graduation rate is 53% for 4 years.

http://www.hofstra.edu/about/iraa/iraa-cds.html

And Hofstra students will only qualify for 3K.

This will impact Hofstra big time for enrollment and athletics. Hofstra depends about 80% on tuition for revenue.
HofstraMathew

Re: Hofstra/Hofstra Sports and the New Free College Cuomo Pl

Post by HofstraMathew »

I feel like it does always come up that enrollment is down and the applicant pool is down but then someone actually posts the stats and it's the opposite.

I can't imagine this would affect Hofstra that much. The SUNY schools were already at a much lower price point.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Its hard to say how that news affects Hofstra with enrollment, other than it will probably end up shrinking the applicant pool.

Athletically it hurts the peripheral sports because in many circumstances the public schools can now offer full tuition packages for student athletes from NY where income is less than 100k, soon to be 125k. Who would pass up getting a free ride to Binghamton to play baseball/softball when you only get .4 from Hofstra. This has been an issue for Hofstra in the past, just will be more magnified now.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Maybe we should add football...always a great way to boost male enrollment...LOL
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

hofstrahall wrote:Well this will impact enrollment at Hofstra and probably athletics.

It has been noted on several threads that enrollment is down and Hofstra applicant pool is barely 30,000 and the graduation rate is 53% for 4 years.

This will impact Hofstra big time for enrollment and athletics. Hofstra depends about 80% on tuition for revenue.
Applications are far from down so not sure where you get that. There were 28,167 applicants last year according to this profile on website and that is waay above what it was a decade ago. http://www.hofstra.edu/admission/adm_stdprofile.html It should grow only more this year after all the publicity from the debate.

As far as whether this free tuition plan for public colleges will hurt Hofstra, it is hard to say since one could argue this will hurt the SUNY schools by creating larger classes. This doesn't apply to families who make above $125,000 and much of Hofstra's pool of students now is from out of state anyway.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

Correct but Fordham and St. Johns get 50000 applicants. What I forgot to mention The level of enrollment has gone down and the graduation rate is 53% at 4 years is the same at Hofstra when compared to a decade ago. You get more applicants and slightly the same entering class and the graduation rate is still low. WHY? Hofstra is too expensive and people leave.

FYI: http://thehofstrachronicle.com/open-let ... abinowitz/

The number of students enrolling from NYS and out of state is about 50% each.
Trouble.The threshold for income will increase gradually to 130K then to $140K.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

take a look:

http://www.hofstra.edu/about/iraa/iraa_cds_1314.html

https://issuu.com/hofstra/docs/cds2014-2015_web

All the reports on all issuu.com

Yes applicants are up..enrollment is down and the graduation rate is still awful. All that money for the debates. The debates are great but now what? Hofstra will not get a debate in 2020. It only got the 2016 because a selected school dropped out because of debate costs.

The leadership on these issues and athletics is strikingly average.
Last edited by hofstrahall on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
hofstrahall wrote:Well this will impact enrollment at Hofstra and probably athletics.

Applications are far from down so not sure where you get that. There were 28,167 applicants last year according to this profile on website and that is waay above what it was a decade ago. http://www.hofstra.edu/admission/adm_stdprofile.html It should grow only more this year after all the publicity from the debate.

As far as whether this free tuition plan for public colleges will hurt Hofstra, it is hard to say since one could argue this will hurt the SUNY schools by creating larger classes. This doesn't apply to families who make above $125,000 and much of Hofstra's pool of students now is from out of state anyway.

According to the profile you cited:

The Hofstra Student
A Look at the Class of 2020*
28,617 students applied
1,647 students enrolled
3.61 Average GPA
90% had 3.0 GPA or higher
Average SAT** (critical reading and math) 1180
(evidence-based reading and writing + math) 1250
26 average ACT
26% in the top 10% of their high school class
47% are from outside New York state
68% live on campus
One Year Retention Rate: 81%

47% of enrolled freshmen are from outside NY. One can deduce that the majority are from NEW YORK STATE with less than 1-2% of foreign students.
And not all those enrolled freshmen families from NYS make over 125K. Trouble.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Hofstra can do three things:

1) Continue to fund-raise like hell to increase the endowment and make revenue less dependent on tuition dollars

2) Enroll more international students, who tend to pay tuition closer to the full rate

3) Cut overhead, which no one wants

Otherwise, we are at a competitive disadvantage to the SUNYs, who charge a lot less.
Last edited by joeg1 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I agree it isn't a positive development for Hofstra, but I wouldn't say it is a disaster by any stretch and is nothing we can't adjust to. The key will be boosting that roughly $500 million endowment close to the $1 billion range in next 10 years so that Hofstra can basically provide aid to any qualified student.
Flying Dutchmen

Rabinowitz is great at one thing, raising money. He's done a ridiculously good job if the endowment numbers are accurate. That is the most important long-term concern for the school and he's put Hofstra on sound footing for years to come.

Academically, I don't honestly believe the university is so much better than it was say, 10 years ago. The law school might be the worst in NY, liberal arts was always so-so, the Med School definitely raised the University's prestige, but it is the smallest school in the university. Communications, awesome, love that group. Ultimately, so what, we're not Harvard, the school has made a boatload of money the last decade, and offers pretty much anything a major university can be asked to offer, minus a football team of course.

The reality is Cuomo's initiative will likely not have a profound impact on Hofstra IMO. As mentioned above, most students who go to Hofstra would never qualify for free tuition anyway. Some smaller NY schools will be in trouble from this move, but we should be fine, actually we may be better off. There will be more of a crunch on enrollment in the SUNY's. Even if we get less applicants, we may end up getting a higher caliber of student that ultimately chooses to attend Hofstra because they don't get into the SUNY they want, and they were not going to qualify for free tuition anyway. That could help solve that graduation rate problem.

Athletically, I don't think it will impact Basketball at all. After doing some more research, I recant what I said before about it impacting the peripheral sports, I think there will be a minimal change at most. Take a look at the women's field hockey team, 0 NY student-athletes. Most of our student-athletes are not impacted by this change at all.

I honestly believe this Cuomo initiative is more about getting businesses to invest in NY, particularly the upstate area, than it is about free tuition. This will probably work out really well for Hofstra.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Some valid points Flying Dutchmen. While not reflected in rankings, I would say Hofstra's academic profile is defiantly higher than it was 10 years ago. The Honors College certainly has played a big role in that, but I think more importantly the boost in sciences and engineering has been major factor. I also love the focus on political science with the new Kalikow Center for Public Policy.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraPride1 wrote:I honestly believe this Cuomo initiative is more about getting businesses to invest in NY, particularly the upstate area, than it is about free tuition.
Yes FD. And from what I understand, once you graduate, you have to live and work in NY State for at least as many years as you collected tuition monies to attend college. At least that is the intent - I doubt they will be able to track people down and collect from those who say "screw those rules".
Flying Dutchmen

Cards wrote:And from what I understand, once you graduate, you have to live and work in NY State for at least as many years as you collected tuition monies to attend college.
Exactly. If there is relatively more job growth in NY for college graduates than in other areas, that should be good for Hofstra as well, it may even help the school get a higher number of out of state applicants.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

When tuition is 51k plus the 3k is just a drop in the basket. This will be a burden on the middle class in New York. Those who take advantage it will help but overall. It is another entitlement program. New York State has lost 4?percent of its population over the last ten years that is almost 1 million people have fled new york
Cards

Post by Cards »

you are right on the money $$$tuball888 :lol:
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

hofstrahall wrote: 3.61 Average GPA
I'm really surprised the GPA is that high. I got a 1370 SAT with a lower GPA than that. I would expect students with a 3.61 GPA to get well above 1180 on the SAT.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:
hofstrahall wrote: 3.61 Average GPA
I'm really surprised the GPA is that high. I got a 1370 SAT with a lower GPA than that. I would expect students with a 3.61 GPA to get well above 1180 on the SAT.
I think the average GPA is a borderline meaningless stat since some high schools allow you to have well over a 4.0 GPA by taking advanced and honors courses. I am assuming this is probably skewing that stat up.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

stuball888 wrote:When tuition is 51k plus the 3k is just a drop in the basket. This will be a burden on the middle class in New York. Those who take advantage it will help but overall. It is another entitlement program. New York State has lost 4?percent of its population over the last ten years that is almost 1 million people have fled new york
I think this is designed to get people to move to, or at least stay in New York. Knowing if they leave (and take their kids with them) they lose out on the free tuition for them down the line, they may be more inclined to stay. I'd expect more people to start moving up towards the Capital region, where the cost of living is less but you'll get the same benefit.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HH agreed. My wife is asst director of Medicaid for Nassau county. With the expansion of Medicaid under Obamacare there was talk of her having to move to Albany to keep her job. Thank god she can retire at any time now For others it's another story. NY is losing population at the rate of 100,000 a year due to cost of living and taxes