Keatts is a helluva coach worth his weight in gold.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Keatts is a helluva coach worth his weight in gold.

Post by Polito »

DDR, I get it, and not here to battle with you - my fight is around the ROI / production / value of JM & co. I love your passion and support for these guys and the program. For every one of me that's willing to stick their neck out and make noise to enact change, there needs to be others to provide balance. We may not agree, but I have respect for your stance, and I do understand it fully.

I have tried to keep things basketball related, and believe I've done a very good job of that. I think his game/xo coaching stinks. That's not a personal attack. And frankly it's not a statement that anyone can refute at this stage. He's only added fuel to that fire.

I've grown tired of his game antics, and I think they are immature and embarrassing to himself and this university. That's an opinion, and one shared by MOST. But that's not a personal attack.

I have gone on record as stating I still believe the character and integrity of JM and his staff is top notch. I believe they want to win, and want the best for both HU and their student-athletes. They have re-established the program both within the school and the community, and to do that takes good-hearted coaches and players. My respect for them as people remains.

But so does my now destroyed patience level with their chosen philosophy, which I think has proven to be very weak in a very strong conf. They have yet to produce a D1 defense, make very questionable game decisions around roster use and play calling, still haven't won in the CAA without Green, have underachieved every year except the first, make foolish scenes in game, and have yet to develop a useful bench.

If JM doesn't change, then he's stubborn and putting himself before the program. That I think is where the line would blur because then I will have serious questions about his true identity and purpose here.

Do I want to see him win? Yes I do. Do I want to see his sh!t strategy get rewarded by pure luck, or because every other top team is in transition? No, I don't. I want him to show maturity and address the glaring issues. To change, if necessary. Then I want him to win, because he DESERVES to and will have EARNED it.

But make no mistake, IF he doesn't, IF he can NOT get it done, then I want him gone and someone else brought in who can. My foundational loyalty and support is to HU.

He has the power to make it all right - and he needs to show it next year. The honeymoon is WAY over.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

This didn't take long.. Keatts is meeting with NC State today. Fingers crossed
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Dooku25 wrote:This didn't take long.. Keatts is meeting with NC State today. Fingers crossed
Gary Parrish‏ @GaryParrishCBS
Seems more likely than not, at this point, that Kevin Keatts will be NC State’s next coach. Not done. But he’s the leading candidate.

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/stat ... 4791449600

Have to think UNCW's impressive performance against UVA made Keatts' stock go up even higher
Polito

Post by Polito »

Excellent, let's hope for a deal struck to get him out of the CAA.

I said some time ago outside of HU making the dance, the next best thing would be for UNCW to make it again, go on a run, and send Keatts on his way.

They didn't make a run, and I thought his lack of D might scare some bigs away, BUT they put up a great fight against UVA and seemed to have earned/solidified enough respect. He has done a fantastic job turning that program around and righting their ship.

UNCW has proven to be a nice jump off point for up and comers. They may land another, its an attractive mid program, but likely that will take some time and some talent may go if he does. This could help HU obviously...

The sooner Keatts is gone the better for JM & Co.

P.S. The Little Napoleons just took a major hit next year with post man Jack Whitman leaving the program. He played very well against HU. This will hurt them on top of losing 2 other key studs. And this also can help HU.

With some of the changes to key top half CAA programs, JM/HU will be under even bigger expectations to capitalize.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Done deal with NC State. It will be interesting tool see what direction UNCW goes now in the coaching search. It'll be an attractive job for several candidates.

https://twitter.com/PackMensBball/statu ... 1096608768
Last edited by ProudofPride on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Deal is done he's out of UNCW
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Excellent, let's hope for a deal struck to get him out of the CAA.

I said some time ago outside of HU making the dance, the next best thing would be for UNCW to make it again, go on a run, and send Keatts on his way.

They didn't make a run, and I thought his lack of D might scare some bigs away, BUT they put up a great fight against UVA and seemed to have earned/solidified enough respect. He has done a fantastic job turning that program around and righting their ship.

UNCW has proven to be a nice jump off point for up and comers. They may land another, its an attractive mid program, but likely that will take some time and some talent may go if he does. This could help HU obviously...

The sooner Keatts is gone the better for JM & Co.

P.S. The Little Napoleons just took a major hit next year with post man Jack Whitman leaving the program. He played very well against HU. This will hurt them on top of losing 2 other key studs. And this also can help HU.

With some of the changes to key top half CAA programs, JM/HU will be under even bigger expectations to capitalize.
Whitman left because word is they have a freshman who was going to play ahead of him
Polito

Post by Polito »

I think that's Nathan Knight... cool, but he played this year too as a frosh - not sure that is the real reason, but will never know.

Knight seems good, just not sure to what extent yet. Whitman would've provided key experienced play, he was a starting forward for them. Whitman avg 10.3 points and 5.3 rebounds, and Knight 8.0 points and 4.4 rebounds. Pretty similar production. They would've played in tandem or provided depth for each other for sure.

I still think this is significant blow to them, esp for post depth, and others in the conf feel the same. Certainly isn't helping the loss of Dixon and Prewitt.

Bottom line is, with some of these developments to the top half teams, it's time for JM & Co. to elevate and show out. Year 5, big hits to big dogs, and only CofC looking uber formidable...not a single excuse should be given or accepted this coming season.

Get. the. job. done.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like UNCW is set to hire CB McGrath, current assistant at UNC.
Polito

Post by Polito »

IMO, the CAA and HU dodged a major bullet here. This hire does not strike the kind of fear it could have had it been a few of the other potentials. Far from a splash hire. Not even sure it's a good culture fit quite frankly.

Pretty puzzled by this one considering the attractiveness of the W job. Not huge pay per say, but decent with a strong winning program, some returning talent, strong incoming class, and great fan support.

I could certainly be wrong, he does come from UNC and Roy Williams. But he's a lifer assistant at one location for the same coach - haven't really seen many of those turn into mid major HC superstars.

Would've been MUCH more concerned about someone like a Rhoades, or Dooley, etc.

Again, another change/instance where JM has no excuse to get the job done. Let's see if HU can finally capitalize.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Official announcement today for McGrath. Another hire from a school on probation with the NCAA lol.
UNC doesn't play the same style as Louisville, so it'll be interesting to see how all the UNCW players adapt to a different style of play. Their fans always talk about how their players are specifically recruited to play their style.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

UNCW has officially lost every recruit they had coming in, I think it was 3 highly touted seniors and 2 JUCO transfers. Plus, a new development is that their stud player, CAA first-teamer CJ Bryce may have asked for a release.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

ProudofPride wrote:UNCW has officially lost every recruit they had coming in, I think it was 3 highly touted seniors and 2 JUCO transfers. Plus, a new development is that their stud player, CAA first-teamer CJ Bryce may have asked for a release.
Wow - that's' huge news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Like I said, HU/JM and the CAA dodged a MAJOR bullet IMO with this hire - although he has UNC cred, it's still a questionable one to me for the W. Actually thought something like this might happen to them.

I've been waiting to hear about Bryce and Cacok - they lose those 2 and it'll be a LOOONG recovery for the W.

I don't wish bad on the W, but I'm definitely not going to complain about them taking a hit - maybe JM and HU might FINALLY actually be able to take advantage of an advantage...

This news must be devastating to some of you pro-CAA/opponent guys who think this somehow doesn't help HU LOL :lol:

The class Keatts was bringing in was very talented, and would've kept the W in contention for CAA titles for the next few years. And to those of you who need to wake up, would've added to keeping HU well out of it.

Oh, and he secured that class in the EARLY period. 5 talented impact players. And HU is still struggling to find a 3rd decent one in April... really frustrating.

One of the Juco they just lost, Cuthbertson, is literally exactly what HU needs, a 6'7 stretch 4, and a top 100 Juco talent, region POY. They locked him up LAST YEAR. It's just insane that we are still waiting to hear anything from HU regarding the top priority position of need.

Have I mentioned how frustrating that is?
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

I am also very frustrated with Hofstra's lack of recruiting.