Iona going to the dance

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: Iona going to the dance

Post by Polito »

Oh and LIU-B is potentially taking a look at Larry Brown, and word is the one and only Bruiser Flint has already been on campus. I mean for an NEC program they are looking at some serious / big name candidates.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:We may all find out real soon just how good Grasso AND Cluess are as JG is gaining momentum for a HC job - potentially LIU Brooklyn or Quinnipiac to start...

This would be VERY interesting to see those two separated and how that plays out. Me thinks one of them will suffer.

LIU-B would be a real good fit for Grasso IMO. Can't imagine him playing against Iona at QU.

And for those who find this interesting, QU is reported as being willing to go up to the $800k range !! :shock: I mean that is sick dough for the MAAC. For ANY mid really.

QU looks to be making a major sports focus and investment. Good for them. Wish HU would catch up and stop getting left in the dust.
Quinnipiac and Monmouth are going all in on their athletic programs. Kind of like Hofstra back in the Gardi/Wright days...they may out grow the MAAC
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Quinnipiac women's basketball team in the sweet sixteen as a #13 seed
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:Oh and LIU-B is potentially taking a look at Larry Brown, and word is the one and only Bruiser Flint has already been on campus. I mean for an NEC program they are looking at some serious / big name candidates.
Crazy LIU let Jack Perri go, he did a good job with that program, they beat St. John's for the first time in forever in that doubleheader when we played Kentucky, 20 wins this year. It's worth it if you get Larry Brown in the mix I suppose.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:
Polito wrote:
2010–11 / 25–12 / CIT Runner–Up
2011–12 / 25–8 / NCAA First Four
2012–13 / 20–14 / NCAA Second Round
2013–14 / 22–11 / NIT First Round
2014–15 / 26–9 / NIT First Round
2015–16 / 22–11 / NCAA First Round
2016–17 / 22–12 / NCAA First Round
I am absolutely jealous of those post season results, and would go bananas to have literally HALF that at HU in the same timeframe.
Hofstra by comparison:

2010–11 / 22–12 / CBI First Round
2011–12 / 10-22

2012–13 / 7-25
2013–14 / 10-23
2014–15 / 20-14 / CBI First Round
2015–16 / 24–10 / NIT First Round
2016–17 / 15–17

Iona: seven 20-win seasons, 4 NCAAT's, 2 NIT's since Cluess left C.W. Post.

Hofstra: three 20-win seasons, 0 NCAAT's, 1 NIT in the same time frame.

There IS no comparison. We're one of the last programs in the area who should be condemning anyone else's success.
How's Iona's lacrosse, softball and other teams doing?
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote: How's Iona's lacrosse, softball and other teams doing?
How's the interest in those sports?

If we have to bring that up, that says it all about how far ahead they've been relative to us in men's basketball (which let's be honest, is the primary reason this board and CAAZone were created in the first place; that's where the interest is!).
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:
HUSID80 wrote: How's Iona's lacrosse, softball and other teams doing?
How's the interest in those sports?

If we have to bring that up, that says it all about how far ahead they've been relative to us in men's basketball (which let's be honest, is the primary reason this board and CAAZone were created in the first place; that's where the interest is!).
Frankly, there's quite a bit of interest in those sports if you actually looked at the other posts. I'm thrilled that our lacrosse team is ranked THIRD IN THE NATION!
Polito

Post by Polito »

I want NO part of Iona's athletic program. HU runs circles around them, so I'll keep that.

I DO want their mens hoops success all day long.

Can I have all of the above please? :D
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

According to the website A Daly Dose of Hoops, Quinnipiac hired Baker Dunlevy off Jay Wright's staff at VU. The chief assistant is our former coach Tom Pecora. The other two assistants have ties to the Jones brothers at BU and Yale. Dunleavy is the son of former NBA and present Tulane coach Mike Dunleavy.
Last edited by The Shadow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Surprised to see Tom take the assist job...thought he should be a contender for HC jobs like LIU. Shows Quinnipiac is serious about improving its program and I'm sur Jay Wright had some influence here.
Last edited by HUSID80 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Reports online are indicating that Quinnipiac was willing to pay the new head coach upwards of 800k! If they're paying Dunleavy that much, I'm sure they ponied up a decent amount of money for assistants as well, so TP might very well me making more there than he would as the HC of LIU.

As a side note, Villanova is now in the market for a new assistant. Is there ever a chance Speedy would leave us and go work for Jay Wright for a few years before he becomes our head coach? I couldn't ever see him leaving for any school he doesn't have a connection to, but Villanova makes sense.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Doubt if Speedy would leave the Island...he has his kids here etc...but you never know, he may this Villanova as the better route to becoming a HC.