EMBARRASSMENT - Mihalich is officially an XO/game coach bust

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: EMBARRASSMENT - Mihalich is officially an XO/game coach

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:Ok - lets look at the Track Record. We all understand that teams have good years and bad years, but good programs with good coaches have many more good years than bad.

JM had a good string of years prior to 2010. With such a reputation, you would expect him to keep improving the program or at least continuing to be a leader in his division. So lets look at the record from 2008-2009 to the point where he left.
26 and 9 2008-2009
18 and 15 2009-2010
9 and 23 2010-2011
14 and 19 2011-2012
19 and 14 2012-2013

Record over last 5 years at Niagara was 86W and 86L. If he was so good from 2000 - 2008, how come the team was ok, at best, over his last 5 years. And lets not forget, this was in the MAAC, not a ninth or tenth rated D1 conference like the CAA.

Now I'm not totally bashing JM who has by most measures had a successful coaching career. I just have not seen him getting the most out of the talent he has on the roster and the success in coaching between tip-off and the buzzer.
Cards that totals up to 86-80....not a huge difference but still a winning record at a school that hasn't come close to producing one since he left.
Flying Dutchmen

Re: EMBARRASSMENT - Mihalich is officially a bust.

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:I will continue to lead a front of higher expectations, higher ROI, and make noise as needed. And I will do so alone if necessary. Our mission is to make an IMPACT, not to blindly follow some coach because he's a good guy. Wow, this sounds so eerily familiar to lax, doesn't it? That should scare everyone here.

I think some of you misunderstand the point of DUTCH NATION: this group is to make an impact and to advance HOFSTRA ATHLETICS, and HOFSTRA BASKETBALL in particular, NOT some HC. This group is not here to advance the career of Mihalich - if that's what any of you want and care about, that's fine, but do it on your own.

HU HOOPS is WAY more important than Joe Mihalich. Just like UNC was bigger than Dean Smith, Kansas than Roy Williams, UConn than Jim Calhoun, Virginia Tech football bigger than Frank Beamer, etc. etc. etc. The PROGRAM ALWAYS TAKES PRIORITY. Any of you who put him, or ANY HC, before the program can take a hike.
Polito, you're Hofstra Athletics own Don Quixote.

Listen, I'm rooting for Mihalich because I like the guy, I want to see HIM take us over the top. This should have been the season the coaching staff made some adjustments, post Juan'ya, but it didn't materialize. You could see the writing on the wall since the Coppin St. game in November. Maybe some changes will finally happen next year, but if we end up 306th in defense, and we don't pick up another forward, there will be some legitimate questions about whether this staff can get us over the top. I don't see anyone denying that.

Some people don't want to be critical because of whatever personal reasons they have, so be it. I guarantee those same people who are supporting Mihalich today, would support the next HC the same way in a heartbeat. If you're posting on this message board, you absolutely love HOFSTRA, not just the men's hoops HC. Enough with calling out people's loyalty, it's embarrassing. Is there one person here that doesn't want to see us in the Dance every year?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Rabinowitz?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Rabinowitz?
He wants us in big dance too if for no other reason the publicity it brings school.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
He wants us in big dance too if for no other reason the publicity it brings school.
That, and men's basketball is the ONE sport he actually likes (of course, he'd probably make sure the NCAAT banner would be smaller than the debates ones).
Polito

Post by Polito »

And that right there is the difference between me and some of you:

I don't care WHICH coach gets HU to the dance. I just want SOMEONE to get them there.

Some of you are all hopped on Mihalich and forcing the program to get it done through him. I am not. If he gets it done next year, fantastic! If someone else does it, JUST AS fantastic!

And that's because I put the PROGRAM before the coach. Period.

I am fully rooting for JM to win, trust me! But not because it's Mihalich - because he happens to be the HC of HU. THAT is where my loyalty lies.

I want JM to become a BETTER coach, adopt a BETTER philosophy, and win because he was MAN ENOUGH to change and IMPROVE. Not because he was stubborn forcing a sh!tty strategy for years until by sheer luck and chance it actually works.

That is not what this is about. That is putting a coach, putting HIMSELF, before what's best for the PROGRAM. And I am NOT ok with that. And I am NOT apologizing for that. That to me is what being a true fan is about.

And some of you will disagree, and that is your right. We will all continue to make a stance as we feel is best. And mine will remain. Produce and earn the highest pay check in the CAA, or go and bring in someone who can.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Only in rare instances is the coach bigger than the program or at least the face of the program. Bobby Knight at Indiana, Wooden at UCLA, Auremia at UConn Pat Summit at tennesse.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

LOL

Likely true! I just hope he's not posting here!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

BTW not to stray too far off topic, but if you take the myopic criteria of athletic accomplishments (re football) Rabinowitz may not be the biggest booster.

However, look at where the University is in virtually all phases during his tenure. IMO he has done a spectacular job and should be commended.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Academically he has done very well. However I was told by several people that thee has been a significant drop in enrollment most private schools are dependent on tuition income and Hofstra is no exception also the type of student coming in is not as athletic minded as students in the past. Since we dropped football this trend has started
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Academically he has done very well. However I was told by several people that thee has been a significant drop in enrollment most private schools are dependent on tuition income and Hofstra is no exception also the type of student coming in is not as athletic minded as students in the past. Since we dropped football this trend has started
He has said in past interviews on this topic that there are no plans to try and increase enrollment since he wants school to be more competitive.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Today the women took the court. They actually had a more disappointing regular season than the men. The difference is a lack of talent and size on the womens team. Today they beat towson 77-66. The game was not that close. Crystal Luciano our diminutive point guard (5ft 5). Almost had a triple double with 18 points 9 boards and 8 assts. She played with a fire in her belly. Maybe it was because despite leading the CAA in assts she was snubbed by the CAA on post season award. Congrats to Coach krista and her staff for having them well prepared to play today.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

HP1 also applications are down quite a bit. I think he is just blowing smoke. Unfortunately at $60,000+ in tuition there are other less costly options out there for high school seniors.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Application aren't down Stuball. In fact they are way, way up from before he took over as president.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I heard differently. It's up since he took over but down from 2015
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

bTW I think Dutchie Doright in Rabinowitz
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:I heard differently. It's up since he took over but down from 2015
That may be true Stu. Sometimes application numbers may fluctuate based on positive or negative exposure. I would expect a spike for this year after holding the presidential debate and the amount of times Hofstra got mentioned nationally and internationally throughout the coverage.
Last edited by HofstraPride1 on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I wouldn't take the pay-cut !!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Lmao good one dutchie. Glad to see you have a sense of humor
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:Today the women took the court. They actually had a more disappointing regular season than the men. The difference is a lack of talent and size on the womens team. Today they beat towson 77-66. The game was not that close. Crystal Luciano our diminutive point guard (5ft 5). Almost had a triple double with 18 points 9 boards and 8 assts. She played with a fire in her belly. Maybe it was because despite leading the CAA in assts she was snubbed by the CAA on post season award. Congrats to Coach krista and her staff for having them well prepared to play today.
Looks like they used up all their offense yesterday, they look completely lost today. 38-20, Elon up at the half. Hofstra shooting 27% compared to 64 for Elon. Shots aren't falling and they're not doing anything to stop a Elon on the other end. Asunae Durant already has 3 fouls alone, while Elon's entire team has 4 combined. Elon is getting away with lots of light screens, and Krista is letting the refs know she's not happy about it She's gotta be careful, she was ejected in the game at Elon for arguing with the refs.