EMBARRASSMENT - Mihalich is officially an XO/game coach bust

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

EMBARRASSMENT - Mihalich is officially an XO/game coach bust

Post by Polito »

Absolutely unacceptable loss. Beat by a ROOKIE coach who scrapped together a makeshift team at the last minute, while your team was playing strong basketball.

I am completely DISGUSTED and I am done with this staff and program until I see something worth my time and money.

I have been in their corner, and absolutely nothing to show for it. And he's turned Gustys into just as big of a crybaby as he is. With all that talent, they couldn't finish the predicted 6th and couldn't even get past the PLAY-IN game. VOMIT.

Guys chucking up 3's when they should be driving for fouls...JWF doesn't have the ball at the end??? No D as usual. BB as a Sr doesn't know how to draw a charge. Rokus, JM's defensive player of the year, got owned again when it mattered most completely abandoning his man. Bunch of upper classmen schooled by a frosh.

JM out-coached and outclassed ONCE AGAIN by a coach and team that have NO business doing so. All that strong recruiting a complete waste under his direction. He gets this last year, #4, and that's it. Get it done or move the F on so HU can find a WINNER instead of a WHINER.

Agree FULLY with with the W fans: No coach does less with more than JM. Still hasn't proven he can win anything worth a damn in the CAA without Juanye Green... and that was a failure too.

Over it. Just PITIFUL.
Last edited by Polito on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan

Re: EMBARRASSMENT - Mihalich is officially a bust.

Post by Jordan »

I can agree with much of what you're saying. Although this is college basketball, and head coaches are not just thrown away as easy as they are in NFL. I can't imagine next year being Mihalich's last year, even if it is equivalent to this year.

Mihalich brought stability to a program that was a train wreck. Came in with 2 players on the team and built it into a CAA Regular Season Championship team/NIT. This was one year without Juan'ya Green and Ameen Tanksley, and he has clearly built JWF into finding his way to that level. Keep in mind our seniors were Bernardi/Powers. Not much to brag about. If this is what our season looks like JWF/Buie's senior year, than I can most certainly agree with bringing up the idea of letting go of Mihalich. But for now, I saw this as a sort of rebuilding year. Maybe a key assistant coach can come in and teach some defense. No games were complete blowouts this year, and every game was hard fought. We weren't even last in the conference. I'd hate to see Mihalich go. He's a good guy.
Last edited by Jordan on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Stop this...we were in a position to win this game and our kids played lousy in the second half...elation we win Armageddon we lose...not so simple
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

OK

Si, now we who is who.

Never, ever, ever get back on the wagon.
Ever!

I officially bar you.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This much is simple. JAM got outcoached. This delaware team was thrown together in a short period of time by a coach you had maybe 2 months before the season hired by and AD hired 10 weeks before the basketball season began. We lost to the worst team in the conference in a play in game.If you can see positives please let us know.
Polito

Post by Polito »

NO HUSID and dutchiedoright, there is absolutely ZERO excuse making for this embarrassment. With all due respect, because I have FULL respect for you both, but I think you guys need to wake up.

There is no 'bandwagon', I've been a diehard since '95. I WORKED for this program. And if there is a 'bandwagon' yours truly organized it this year. Out of pure love and desire for HU hoops mind you. I don't need any fan lessons.

I respect the fact that you guys have blind faith, that is your choice. And it is mine to pull the cover off and start getting real.

What we just witnessed was a disgrace to the program. This game was simply not losable. NOT LOSABLE. Take a look at Stu's comments and get back to me. Forget the fact they were UP by *10* for goodness sake.

I have supported this staff, and even had some heated debate with others about their value, esp in recruiting. What we have seen, and what they have proven, is that they can recruit, and nothing else. That is not acceptable, and that is not worth $650k/year. You get paid, you damn sure better PRODUCE. They have failed. Stop pretending they haven't, stop sugar coating, and get your heads out of the sand.

What has to stop and be 'barred' around here is the BS excuses and the acceptance of complete mediocrity...or less. That's exactly what killed Lax. And some of you are still running around giddy with your blindfolds on all fired up because they just beat Monmouth. Holy goodness, can we get some standards around here??? Where the hell are all the WINNERS?? All I see is a bunch of excuse making, and sorry folks, that is for losers.

Some of you need to grow a pair of balls and start demanding some return on investment. It's 4 years - 4 YEARS. Not another minute or penny on this program until physical TANGIBLE changes are seen. The buck stops right here and right now.

Get the job done next season from DAY F'ING 1, or get someone who can. Period.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Joe thank you for bringing in quality student athletes who represent the university well. Thank you for being fortunate enough to bring Green and Tanksley with you from Niagara to help turn a program in shambles around quickly. But you still came up short. And now we know your limitations. We know you will never win anything in the CAA unless you do some serious soul searching. You need to change your philosophies. YOU HAVE TO PLAY DEFENSE. I think we beat a dead horse here and this should go without saying. But as someone who has watched this program as closely as anyone on this planet for the last 20 years, I can tell you that you need to change!!! I don't care what recruits you bring in. What good is it if you continue to give up 80 every game????? What good is it if you let every single opponent's best player that you play have career games??? Ryan Daly, ok lets have him score 27 tonight!!! I've seen this act before. I've seen this act 100 times before! Change something please! Make an adjustment!! Delaware had no business beating us tonight. We have more talent pure and simple. This all falls on you and the coaching staff.

How about player development Joe? Let's take a look at Gustys and Bernardi. These guys regressed as upperclassmen. That should never happen. I don't blame them, I blame you! If you can't get these guys to produce or play the way you want them, it again falls on you! Get a better staff. Get an X and O's guy. Bernardi could have been a lethal 3 point shooter Can you draw up and execute some plays for him? He couldn't create his own shot but that's what you had him doing. And also letting him drive to the basket, not his forte. But let's do that with the season on the line. Don't call timeout and draw up a play. That's unnecessary.

The CAA has good coaches everywhere. And we get out coached almost every game. You know what we do? Give the ball to JWF and get out of the way. That's some coaching job Joe! Brilliant!! Oh and don't worry about defense or rebounding. We'll just try to outscore everyone! Not going to work here! This isn't the MAAC.

OK I have vented. This is 16 years of frustration built up. Hofstra has so much potential. Those of us who suffer with this team year in and year out know it. We could be the next Gonzaga or Butler. I honestly believe that. I will never forget one of Jay Wright's quotes about Hofstra basketball when I was student there. He said Hofstra is a sleeping giant. I'm still waiting for this program to wake up! I'm waiting for this program to fulfill it's potential. I know in my heart they can be special. But I'm seriously having my doubts at this moment. I could see Rabinowitz pulling the program one day.

I am giving Joe 1 more year. And really it's because we have JWF and Eli on the team and I want them to stay. I seriously hope they don't transfer out because I think they are tandem that can accomplish special things here in the next 2 years. But something needs to change ASAP. We need a great spring signing period. But we need more than that. We need a change in coaching philosophy. Please bring in defensive players. Please make defense an emphasis next season. I don't want to see us giving up 90 to Sacred Heart next November!!!!!! Enough is enough!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Dooku25 wrote:Joe thank you for bringing in quality student athletes who represent the university well. Thank you for being fortunate enough to bring Green and Tanksley with you from Niagara to help turn a program in shambles around quickly. But you still came up short. And now we know your limitations. We know you will never win anything in the CAA unless you do some serious soul searching. You need to change your philosophies. YOU HAVE TO PLAY DEFENSE. I think we beat a dead horse here and this should go without saying. But as someone who has watched this program as closely as anyone on this planet for the last 20 years, I can tell you that you need to change!!! I don't care what recruits you bring in. What good is it if you continue to give up 80 every game????? What good is it if you let every single opponent's best player that you play have career games??? Ryan Daly, ok lets have him score 27 tonight!!! I've seen this act before. I've seen this act 100 times before! Change something please! Make an adjustment!! Delaware had no business beating us tonight. We have more talent pure and simple. This all falls on you and the coaching staff.

How about player development Joe? Let's take a look at Gustys and Bernardi. These guys regressed as upperclassmen. That should never happen. I don't blame them, I blame you! If you can't get these guys to produce or play the way you want them, it again falls on you! Get a better staff. Get an X and O's guy. Bernardi could have been a lethal 3 point shooter Can you draw up and execute some plays for him? He couldn't create his own shot but that's what you had him doing. And also letting him drive to the basket, not his forte. But let's do that with the season on the line. Don't call timeout and draw up a play. That's unnecessary.

The CAA has good coaches everywhere. And we get out coached almost every game. You know what we do? Give the ball to JWF and get out of the way. That's some coaching job Joe! Brilliant!! Oh and don't worry about defense or rebounding. We'll just try to outscore everyone! Not going to work here! This isn't the MAAC.

OK I have vented. This is 16 years of frustration built up. Hofstra has so much potential. Those of us who suffer with this team year in and year out know it. We could be the next Gonzaga or Butler. I honestly believe that. I will never forget one of Jay Wright's quotes about Hofstra basketball when I was student there. He said Hofstra is a sleeping giant. I'm still waiting for this program to wake up! I'm waiting for this program to fulfill it's potential. I know in my heart they can be special. But I'm seriously having my doubts at this moment. I could see Rabinowitz pulling the program one day.

I am giving Joe 1 more year. And really it's because we have JWF and Eli on the team and I want them to stay. I seriously hope they don't transfer out because I think they are tandem that can accomplish special things here in the next 2 years. But something needs to change ASAP. We need a great spring signing period. But we need more than that. We need a change in coaching philosophy. Please bring in defensive players. Please make defense an emphasis next season. I don't want to see us giving up 90 to Sacred Heart next November!!!!!! Enough is enough!
I agree with you 100%. In an earlier post of mine (diff thread), I had posted the same thing about Rok and BB. How did they regress so much? Rok went from 20/20 games to not even double digit anythings.

This is New York, and this is why we play in a half empty arena... What have you done for me lately? Juan'ya and Tank were great, I loved them as players, but we didnt dance, and we don't have em anymore.. Thanks, but lets keep it moving here.

JWF was phenomenal this year. I love his athleticism, and I think the future is bright for him. I worry that Eli will become complacent if not coached up this summer. He had a good year, flashes of a great year, I hope he is coached the right way and has a great sophomore season.

Defense is the key to this offseason though. This is a gut check period for us. We were horrific this season, and no game was ever over regardless of the lead we had.

No dinners with posters will bring people to the arena when we lose to Delaware on Play In Friday. Win and people show up, lose to Delaware and its not even worth advertising to come to a game, it won't happen.
Last edited by Hofstra on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Polito wrote:NO HUSID and dutchiedoright, there is absolutely ZERO excuse making for this embarrassment. With all due respect, because I have FULL respect for you both, but I think you guys need to wake up.

There is no 'bandwagon', I've been a diehard since '95. I WORKED for this program. And if there is a 'bandwagon' yours truly organized it this year. Out of pure love and desire for HU hoops mind you. I don't need any fan lessons.

I respect the fact that you guys have blind faith, that is your choice. And it is mine to pull the cover off and start getting real.

What we just witnessed was a disgrace to the program. This game was simply not losable. NOT LOSABLE. Take a look at Stu's comments and get back to me. Forget the fact they were UP by *10* for goodness sake.

I have supported this staff, and even had some heated debate with others about their value, esp in recruiting. What we have seen, and what they have proven, is that they can recruit, and nothing else. That is not acceptable, and that is not worth $650k/year. You get paid, you damn sure better PRODUCE. They have failed. Stop pretending they haven't, stop sugar coating, and get your heads out of the sand.

What has to stop and be 'barred' around here is the BS excuses and the acceptance of complete mediocrity...or less. That's exactly what killed Lax. And some of you are still running around giddy with your blindfolds on all fired up because they just beat Monmouth. Holy goodness, can we get some standards around here??? Where the hell are all the WINNERS?? All I see is a bunch of excuse making, and sorry folks, that is for losers.

Some of you need to grow a pair of balls and start demanding some return on investment. It's 4 years - 4 YEARS. Not another minute or penny on this program until physical TANGIBLE changes are seen. The buck stops right here and right now.

Get the job done next season from DAY F'ING 1, or get someone who can. Period.
I understand what you're saying, but we root for Hofstra, not UConn. UConn had a terrible year this year, but they will be back next year. We had a bad year and most likely will not be back next year. To say you're done with the team is not true. We all know that. Obviously your emotions are running a bit high after this pathetic loss tonight, but you're talking to people on a message board for Hofstra University. We are all passionate, die hard fans. There is no such thing as a bandwagon for Hofstra. We are at >50% at the arena every game, I wish there was a bandwagon, maybe in a few years, but we don't have one.

Tonight I watched the final ticks off the clock with a fellow poster on here, and like many years past, its the same thing. It's what keeps us coming back for more. I hated this years team, didnt like em 1 bit, but I will be back next year. You will be back next year. HUSID will be back next year, Flying Dutchmen, HofstraMathew, Jordan, Dooku, Cactus, we're all coming back.

Roll Pride. Always.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

It is disgusting that this is a thread.

Posters here make me sick.

Take down this thread!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

dutchiedoright wrote:It is disgusting that this is a thread.

Take down this thread!
It's not all rainbows and butterflies. People are allowed to be upset.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Have class and poise

Don't be what they have been
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Well said Hofstra. I'm there in perpetuity.

The one thing I just don't understand is why this game seems to have broke the camel's back for some people. Would it really have mattered if we won tonight, and dropped tomorrow's game to UNCW? Did people not watch the first two games against UD, every game the last four seasons? No doubt I was optimistic we would win, but it was clearly in the realm of possibility that we would lose tonight, we were the 8 seed for a reason after all.

This team was poorly conceived.

Our bigs are unskilled relative to the rest of the conference, and we only have two forwards who saw minutes this season. Rok did not play at a D-1 level this year, personally I think he was playing hurt so I'm not going to pile it on, but we would have been better off with Sabety playing the starting role the last 15 games of the year.

Overall we gave up too many points due to lack of size, and the fear of picking up the foul. Delaware shot 65% in the second half tonight, they only took two three point attempts, they know what the deal is, and so does the rest of the CAA.

My main gripe with the coaching staff is we have no bench, and I think it hurts our defensive intensity. I happen to think it's more of a personnel problem over the coaching, but it's obviously a bit of both. At the end of the day though, you cannot win when your bench plays less than 15% of the minutes during the last 30% of the season, you need to have some flexibility to match the opposition at times. We have not had that luxury in a long time.

Mihalich a bust? I don't see that to be honest. We were one jumper from going to the Dance last year, we were also one jumper from taking the NIT Champ to OT on their home court. Mo's tenure was a bust, Joe's performing slightly above Hofstra standards. I agree that this has not been a transformative era as we have all wished, and maybe some have believed.

The reality is some fundamental changes need to be made to get over the top on the CAA level, I see no reason why they cannot be done though. In Mihalich's time at Niagara, they only beat one power conference team, and that was a real bad St. John's squad. The Florida State victory last year was of epic proportion, because it showed two things, if we have the right personnel, we could compete with the top dogs, and that our offense can play at an elite level.

This off-season, we need to find a forward who can shoot the ball, hopefully it's Trueheart, but we need to bring someone else in as well. We desperately need more skill in the frontcourt, look at Elon's frontcourt for example. I love those forwards, they could do everything, and they're able to get the players when they play in semi-rural NC, in a high school gym. Who the hell wants to go to Elon, and they've out-recruited us in the frontcourt. I believe our staff can get it done.

Secondly, we need to find trust in a bench that can allow us to play more aggressively on defense. Collectively, I don't think it's a good defensive bunch, but we need a bench that could go out and play 80 minutes of a game, hit the wide open shot, and allow the game not to go to hell if the starters get in foul trouble.

Joe has to change some things. If he can trust the 8th, 9th, and 10th guys on the bench to play a few minutes, and bring in a few guys that are worthy of being the 9th and 10th guys on a roster, we can get over the top IMO. But Joe has to change those things, you can't expect to play an uptempo offense with four guards, no bench and play great defense, this isn't NBA Jam.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

dutchiedoright wrote:It is disgusting that this is a thread.

Take down this thread!
This thread makes you sick but the team's performance last night didn't? It's called raw emotion. I care about the team, want to see them do well. It's very disappointing when a team loses to a team you think they should beat. Granted, the games with Delaware this year were close and I think I was the first to admit on these boards that the season was over a month ago when we had no shot at the 6 seed. So the last thing I expected was 4 wins in 4 days. However, I still expected a win last night. And I expected to give UNCW all they could handle today. But if we should be happy with an 8th place finish and then not even making it to Saturday in the CAA tournament, if that is the new expectation for the Hofstra program, then I will gladly cancel my season tickets and wish them well. This is New York. There are plenty of other things I can dedicate my time and money to in sports and other areas of interest.
The bottom line is Hofstra needs about 5,000 more fans like the posters on this board. So I think you should be a little more disgusted with the team's failure of a season as opposed to what their fans who actually give a damn about the team have to say about it.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

No one is happy with what happened last night and this season...and trust me, I've been through many bad seasons and good ones in the 45 plus years I've been a Hofstra student, athletic department employee, alum and die hard supporter. The fact of the matter is that this team was picked to be sixth this year and we underperformed...slightly...the fact of the matter is we did not have the horses to win this League...our fours were a bust, we lost who should have been our starting point guard, our best big was hampered all year with (undisclosed) injuries) and we had no bench.

Look what we were putting out on the floor every game...the smallest team in the league....good shooters when they were on but boy when we were off we looked LOUSY.

So this has been a transition year...we are not a major power conference team that re-loads every year and competes at the highest level...look at every team in this League...they build to a championship, fall off and re-build...that is mid major college basketball.

And we will be back, next year...we have identified two stars of the future in JWF and Pemberton...and hopefully Buie comes back at full strength, yes we need some new pieces, at the four, another PG an another 6-7 type rebounder and defender; and believe me Joe and Co know this as well and I believe they will get the missing pieces.

I believe in this staff and what they have accomplished over the past four years...we built to have an NCAA team last year and fell, as someone else said one jump shot short, playing Joe's style...we will be back again, hopefully next year...but this PROGRAM is so much better off than it was before Joe came on board...better athletes, solid citizens, CLEAN...and a winner...
Cards

Post by Cards »

I am sorry to say that it should be very obvious to any one who has been watching, that JM is a below average coach compared to others in the CAA. His approach to running an offense of small players with little backup might have been fine at Niagra, but not here. Last year we had a bigger and better team and still did not win as we should have. And I don't want to hear about being close, or losing by a shot.......after all, how many games do we have to lose by a shot before the pattern is apparent?? How many times to we need to hear "they made the shots at the end and we didn't" or "you gotta give them credit, they are a tough team". Once in a while that's acceptable, but no longer.

Now, has JM helped the program get back on track with respectable young men on the team - absolutely. And I am glad about that. Problem is that I believe there are many upstanding coaches who could do the same for $200-300K per season. I expect much, much more from JM than simply putting a nice bunch of college players out on the court. To date, JM has been outcoached in the majority of games. And, his approach and theories about building a team to win this conference are not working - and that has been proven. He had talent to win last year and did not. He had talent to be in the upper half of the conference this year and did not.

How come most other CAA teams have completed most of their recruiting this year. How come we are not even close to being done? I like the idea of being picky with who we bring in, but we are behind where we should currently be. Would you be clamoring to come here after the type of season we just had? I'm worried that JM will get one or two more guys for next year and we will just have to hope that they pan out. I'm worried that Truehart will stay around 195-200 pounds and hot fulfill the 4 spot that we need. I'm worried there is no backup. I'm worried that the last 3-4 weeks we offer a bunch of scholarships to what appear to be mediocre players (maybe with potential) because none of the guys we have offered over the past 12 months are interested.

We need Speedy to keep working hard with the guards. We need an assistant to come in who is a defensive minded specialist. We need a coach who can help recruit AND DEVELOP power forwards and/or centers. And most importantly, because JM is not going anywhere, we need a head coach that can learn from others, learn from his mistakes, and stop the blame game - LOOK IN THE MIRROR.
Polito

Post by Polito »

SPOT ON Cards, and exactly what I came to post. JM has been outcoached in more games than we can count over his 4 years, and his teams seem to win purely on talent alone in SPITE of his 'coaching', not because of it. The debacle we witnessed last night was completely unacceptable.

Mr 'Skip Prosser' award winner just got outcoached (again) by a FRIGGIN ROOKIE with a junkyard team and 1 dude who can actually play CAA level ball. That is EMBARRASSING. THAT is what broke the straw for me.

All we hear is '3 days in march' 'and this is what we get? Not ok. You talk that big game you better produce, otherwise you deserve EVERY bit of fallout. This has NOTHING to do with winning the CAA this year. This has to do with producing to your level and earning your high pay.

Injuries are not their fault, but every team deals with them.

Lack of depth? No D? Force feeding Bernardi into 35 min/game? Allowing Jrs and Srs to REGRESS their game? Having your team chuck up 3's with no post help or when it's completely unnecessary? Turning Gustys into a crybaby because you are? Still figuring your team out heading into the CONF TOURNEY? Refusing to acknowledge that your strategy is broken?

That is ALL on Mihalich. EVERY bit of it.

And any of you who are not embarrassed by this BS should be ashamed of your lack of care and passion for this program. At your acceptance of failure. Man up and grow a pair. This coach makes *650k* a YEAR. Do you know what the guy who just sent him home makes? Do you know what Keatts, an NCAAT coach makes? HALF of what JM makes - H A L F !!!!!

Time for some accountability.

Make no mistake, I am grateful for the turnaround and stabilizing effort of JM and his staff. He righted the ship, and deserves full credit and respect for that.

I actually do NOT want HU to have to find a new coach. What I really want is for THIS one to OWN his crap and to CHANGE - to stop making loser excuses to justify his poor performance. To stop running around the court like a maniacal old man getting T'd up every other game embarrassing himself and this university. To actually LEARN from his mistakes and stop beating all our heads against the same damn wall.

Unwavering stubbornness is for immature children, not for well-paid D1 Head Coaches.

The truth hurts, but JM has shown to be a very poor coach thus far who does not seem capable of achieving the NCAAT in the CAA. His philosophy STINKS, and the HU community deserves better. R O I.

Next year is IT for JM to show his long term value. Win or go, and allow HU to bring in a top P5 assistant who would gladly take 500k a year. And trust me, there are PLENTY because mids just like HU do it every single year.
garyg

Post by garyg »

As I think Stu has noted a number of times on this board...it takes 4 years to evaluate a head coach...we will give JAM an extra year but he better come thru next season...I have my doubts that he will be able to bring in two impact players along with Ray but I hope I am wrong
garyg

Post by garyg »

Also I have stated on this board that it was a mistake to give JAM an extension before reaching the NCAA tournament...this one is on the AD
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Because the program was DOA

Because no recruit would ever sign with a lame duck coach

Because 70 wins in 3 years

Because he got us a home game with Kentucky

Because he got us a home game with Villanova

He's the Skip Prosser Award winner

Because, because, because....

You are wearing me out with this nonesense