CAA Play-in Game vs. Delaware 3/3/17

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: CAA Play-in Game vs. Delaware 3/3/17

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

cactus wrote:With the season on the line, Gustys plays phantom d and then Bernardi drives to the basket and forces a shot.
I'm going to frame that quote and put it on the wall, titled "2017 Hofstra Basketball."
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Polito wrote:I don't mind one bit HU paying solid coin for the HC, but I damn sure expect the man receiving it to EARN EVERY LAST DOLLAR of it.

JM has failed this program and needs to be held accountable.

Produce a team that can legitimately WIN this conference and play actual real D1 defense, or get out. I'm done with the BS and the excuses. Done with wasting every great player that rolls through this program. This takes way too much energy time and money to sit around watching these guys refuse to adapt, or correct their shortcomings, beat their heads against wall being too stubborn to change and elevate themselves.

ENOUGH - show RESULTS, or make a change.
100% agree. They blew it this year big time. This better get corrected ASAP. This isn't Year 1 or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Come on guys, we were just not good enough to compete for the league championship. Hope this is a wake up call for this program that we can't win consistently with four undersized guards and three pointers...when the shots don't fall we need to get stops and score in the paint. I believe this staff will adjust and come back strong next year as we do have two of the top players in the League coming back.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

HUSID80 wrote:Come on guys, we were just not good enough to compete for the league championship. Hope this is a wake up call for this program that we can't win consistently with four undersized guards and three pointers...when the shots don't fall we need to get stops and score in the paint. I believe this staff will adjust and come back strong next year as we do have two of the top players in the League coming back.
Agreed. I'm heartbroken to not be able to watch them compete again this year. Still can't get over the fact that it will be an 8 month period without Hofstra basketball. But I can agree that this wasn't as pathetic of a year as many have claimed it to be. I enjoyed it. Some entertaining and completive games. I have sincere hope in the coaching staff to bounce back. This team has real potential next for year.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Tonight was disgraceful. I'm really at a loss right now. Can't believe this season. We lost to a program who if you think back to last off season, was starting from scratch. That's pathetic. That's embarrassing. This is year 4 and you lost to this. Are you kidding me right now????? I'll save most of my thoughts for the Michalich thread, but what happened tonight was completely unacceptable. This is #9 Seed DELAWARE. In an EMPTY Charleston coliseum! Is this supposed to be tough task?????? This isn't ODU, VCU or George Mason 10 years ago in the RICHMOND COLISEUM. This league is easier than ever to win!!!! And we can't even finish in the top 6. And then we have to play in the play in game on Friday night and we can't even in advance!!!! This season was a complete joke!!! Nobody should be sugar coating this! A joke!!!!!!!!!!!
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Jordan wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:Come on guys, we were just not good enough to compete for the league championship. Hope this is a wake up call for this program that we can't win consistently with four undersized guards and three pointers...when the shots don't fall we need to get stops and score in the paint. I believe this staff will adjust and come back strong next year as we do have two of the top players in the League coming back.
Agreed. I'm heartbroken to not be able to watch them compete again this year. Still can't get over the fact that it will be an 8 month period without Hofstra basketball. But I can agree that this wasn't as pathetic of a year as many have claimed it to be. I enjoyed it. Some entertaining and completive games. I have sincere hope in the coaching staff to bounce back. This team has real potential next for year.
Jordan, unfortunately this game was the epitome of pathetic. We lost to Delaware. Delaware. Up 8 at the half, I was watching with another poster here, and we both agreed that the game was far from over, and we would have to fight late. This was at halftime up 8. This team was trash, which stinks, but this year was awful. We played some close games, and lost some, won some, but after tonight, those don't matter.

In regards to the game, WTF was Rok doing out there? He looked lost on defense, and on offense, he is a liability to even touch the ball. His main role was to just set screens up top and sink back down low. No plan to utilize him in the post, no plan to feed him the ball to kick back out for an open 3, just bad. Defensively speaking, well, there was no defense on his part, so can't speak about it. I understand that it's a college kid, he's a young guy, I don't want to pile on him, but he just sucked tonight. I don't expect much from him in the future. Always gassed, has regressed a ton. Freshman year he couldn't run up and down court, this year, his junior year, the same crap. Shooting FT's in the 20 percent range, how is that even possible? Lost so many possessions with him, not tonight, but in general.

Bernardi is another story, I am just glad his run at HU is over. 2 ply, soft af.

Tonight sucked. Did I expect to win the damn thing? Hell no, but I didnt expect to blow an 11 point lead to damn Delaware. Next year, the bar is low yet again, stinks.
Polito

Post by Polito »

AMEN Dooku - thank you - someone with some EXPECTATIONS of the highest paid coach in the league. Call me crazy, but it's time for ROI. :? This guy is constantly getting outdone when it matters most. Remind you of anyone?? *cough cough*... lax ...*cough cough*

They didn't underperform 'a bit', they put out a horrendous year of hoops. This wasn't about winning a league championship, which quite frankly, JM blew last year.

This is about producing a sh!tty 8th seed and getting knocked out by a ROOKIE (<---) coach who didn't even have a TEAM until the FALL for goodness sake!!!!!

Are you guys kidding?? I mean what the hell are we talking about here??? Win the damn game Mihalich. COACH your team!!!!

You don't have a wake up call in YEAR 4 - c'mon, I know you are trying to bring perspective but let's get real. Mihalich has had top conf players EVERY year and has done absolutely NOTHING with it except squander it. And I see nothing to indicate they have learned anything to prevent that from happening next year.

Right now this staff is no better than TP's or Mo friggin Cassera. Is that really the standard here?? REALLY?? That's ALL?? That is sad, and I don't know how you can see it any other way. Let's stop being weak and accepting BS.

This team has had potential EVERY year. That means NOTHING. This staff has not provided any ounce of confidence that they can get the job done in the CAA. None. They blew that with last years failure. And this year certainly didn't help. In fact they have instilled exactly the opposite --> an expectation of slipping up somewhere down the line.

Change it. FIX it. PRODUCE and earn the pay, or go. End of story.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

You're a fraud !!

On the other thread you are off base.

Apologize or you're exposed.

How dare you ?!?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Post-game press conference:

https://youtu.be/A7D4z2zRh9w
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Delaware's view of the game. Both coaches agree that UD's defense in the second half helped win the game:

https://youtu.be/Jd2N1UadcMs
garyg

Post by garyg »

All I can say is JAM better come up with at least two impact recruits in addition to Ray or this program will be a flop for years to come...no more Ty Greer's...time to put up or shut up...not sure what is left out there that is within Hofstra's reach but JAM & staff had better come thru...
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Jojogunne wrote:Delaware's view of the game. Both coaches agree that UD's defense in the second half helped win the game:

Quite a stark contrast in press conferences Jojo. On one side, you hear the same old thing, excuses.. guys were in foul trouble, we didn't guard them etc.. And on the winning side, you have a coach who actually coaches. He talked about his halftime adjustments. They made a concerted effort to guard the perimeter and 3 point line in the second half, and on offense they regained the tempo they wanted. They ran a more patient offense. The result was a 42-29 2nd half.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Dooku25 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Delaware's view of the game. Both coaches agree that UD's defense in the second half helped win the game:

Quite a stark contrast in press conferences Jojo. On one side, you hear the same old thing, excuses.. guys were in foul trouble, we didn't guard them etc.. And on the winning side, you have a coach who actually coaches. He talked about his halftime adjustments. They made a concerted effort to guard the perimeter and 3 point line in the second half, and on offense they regained the tempo they wanted. They ran a more patient offense. The result was a 42-29 2nd half.
Could not agree more Dooku
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, bunch of loser talk and excuse making.

You're right about one thing dutchiedoright, an apology is definitely in order:

From JM to the entire HU community for the lack of expected, paid for, results. Plus a VOW to correct it ASAP, and actual action proving such.

That would be the stand-up thing to do. Doubt we'll get it.

How dare I? No, how dare JM take more $ than ANY coach in this league and not earn it. How dare he not speak directly to the HU community and OWN his poor performance. How dare he not change and do whatever necessary to PRODUCE.

The difference between me and you is I am not afraid to call out someone when they deserve it. I am not afraid to get real. I am not afraid to demand ROI. I am not afraid to question when the truth is clear. And I'm ok with that, because I actually hold myself up to the same standard - I take action - I earn my fan card, and have done so since '95, from student, to employee, to fan, to support organizer.

You may be better served to follow CYO. This is big boy D1 athletics. The HC is PAID, well. Not to be a nice guy. Not to talk a big game. Not to put on a 'show'. Not to trot out 5 polite young men. TO WIN, within the rules, and within the moral compass of the HU community. That is what he is PAID over a half million dollars for. So either produce that, or buh bye.

I want answers, I want change, and I want results. And I'm not apologizing for it. My time energy effort and money go to support this program, just like everyone else here.

Take action and get this right, or this program will go the way of the Lax team. And you guys can knock yourselves out with that one.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Every time you post, he gets a raise....

44 games in 2 years. Runner-up COY.

Rough year, yes. But the reactionary posts are ridiculous.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

@dutchiedoright - are you the coaches wife or something?!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

No he's one of the only realists on this Board
garyg

Post by garyg »

The realism is that JAM's teams have underachieved in 3 of his 4 seasons based on the talent level...the first year I thought he did good job based on what he had to work with
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

garyg wrote:The realism is that JAM's teams have underachieved in 3 of his 4 seasons based on the talent level...the first year I thought he did good job based on what he had to work with
Are we now living in a world where CAA POY, CAA Regular Season Champions, Runner Up COY, NIT, and getting to the conference Championships in overtime, is underperforming? I mean...C'mon...Let's have SOME perspective.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Based on talent levels they should have done more