CAA Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

Re: CAA Tournament

Post by ProudofPride »

Attendance doesn't look that great on tv, lots of empty seats. I expected it to be a lot better with essentially having the host school and another school in the same region in the title game.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Wags wrote:
Hofstra wrote:Polito, we have to face facts. Do you expect "Jordan" to not pay attention because his team is no longer involved? Exposure to our conference is always great. Never know what might come from tonights game. I will be watching tonight, as I am sure many other of the 8 teams fan bases that didnt make it. Cant be jealous, its an ugly trait. We have to hope the team that makes the dance from the CAA represents us well.
I'm always a Hofstra fan first, but I'm also a CAA fan second. Just because I'd much rather be watching Hofstra playing in the title game right now doesn't mean I can't also enjoy the same game (in a different way) with UNCW against Charleston, or that I shouldn't root for tonight's winner to carry the CAA banner as far as it can in the NCAAT.

For me, it depends on how much you hate your rivals and who consider them to be. I always want the Mets or Giants to win. But when they haven't, I've rooted for the Mets'' NL East rivals like the Braves, Phillies and Marlins to beat the Yankees in the World Series, just because I don't like the Yankees. Conversely, I always root for whoever plays the Giants' NFC East rival, the Cowboys, just because I don't like them. I don't feel the same way about any of Hofstra's rivals. Other CAA schools feel like my college hoops brothers. I always want to beat them really badly every time I play them, but when they're simply better, and get to a point I'd like to see Hofstra attain instead, I still root for them to have success against others "outside the CAA family." The only way I can see the justification for rooting against that is that it hurts you because their success helps them recruit better against you. But I still say, when it's not you, root for the league and then just recruit, coach, play even better to match that same level.
Thank you everybody. Yes Polito, I am with them. I understand where you are coming from in terms of keeping the 'Pride' in 'Hofstra Pride.' But understand that my comment and the comments of several others is not 'rooting' for another team in the CAA. We are all VERY disappointed with the outcome of Hofstra Basketball this year. We all remember the sweet feeling of making our way to the finals, and will keep craving it each year. BUT, there is 300+ teams in Division 1 basketball. There is 10 teams in the CAA. If there is a nationally televised CAA Championship Game, of course I will watch it. They are nationally televised for a reason. Why should we NOT care who is representing OUR conference in the big dance? I sure as heck LOVED watching George Mason and VCU make their runs through the Final Fours. Additionally, I would've enjoyed watching Towson win and rep the North (OF course I would've much rather watched US rep the North, but that is out of my control) As many have stated, with a Northern dominated conference, it'd only make since to move the tourney up here. Ultimately, I'm just pushing for a CAA Tournament that every single person on the message board can come and passionately root for OUR home team (maybe even across the street at the Coliseum.)

THAT is why I made that comment. There was no underlying tone of 'giving up'. There was no 'rooting for other teams' implication. It was simply out of hope for an easier road trip. Because we are ALL disappointed that it is being held in Charleston. Just simply too far for many of us.

Thank you for your consideration of holding back on me, but this is an online message board. I hope we all don't need to reach a point of unleashing unreasonable fury on each other. We all want the same thing. To attend a Hofstra Basketball Championship win!

And, in terms of cheering on the CAA teams outside of our conference games...Why not? (Well maybe besides William and Mary...I'm finding it real hard to cheer on those Little Napoleons ;) ) It'll only make us look better. As my father always said "CAA BABY!"
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

UNCW wins it again
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Congrats to UNCW. Hopefully Keatts bolts to a power conference
Polito

Post by Polito »

"CAA Baby!" ???????

Goodness gracious, you are one seriously misguided young man :P :lol:

But a great young man, a great HU fan, and a great addition to these boards and DUTCH NATION, there's no doubt on that! 8-)

Ok, this will be fun. Please identify all of the REAL TANGIBLE QUANTIFIABLE benefits to HU specifically when another CAA hoops program succeeds at a high level.

If that is too general, then please do so in regards to either the GMU or VCU Final Four runs.

I'll help you start:
1) HU was able to play a nationally ranked program (GMU) on its home floor for the first time ever, producing a large rocking paid crowd, TV time, and the programs first ever win against a ranked team on it's home court.

I am sitting on pins and needles awaiting all the others you, or anyone else with this delusional mindset, have. And better make 'em good, because you know for a fact that numerous rock solid points of the opposite can be listed.

P.S. Let my example serve as your guide. Please do not waste time replying with any ambiguous completely unmeasurable, and likely inaccurate, opinions. I want REAL benefits to HU. Annnnnnnd.... GO!
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... caa-money/

Money's a real good reason. Especially when we're Hofstra.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I guess I probably should've clarified...Well, whenever my father would be watching CAA sports, my mother would come into the room and ask "What're you watching?" to which he would respond with "CAA BABY!" (Pronounced: CAA Bay-Bay, with an emphasis on the rhyme attempt) He'd evoke this response any chance he could get in similar scenarios to show is pride for not only being a Hofstra fanatic, but a fan of CAA sports as well.

And thank you Polito, I too enjoyed meeting you and love all that you have to say here. I can sense your passion and enthusiasm on the boards here and in your demeanor when we met. Your Hofstra PRIDE was glowing from head to toe! That being said, I do not find it necessary to write a novel as to my reasons behind why I can enjoy a game of CAA sports; that is utterly ridiculous. Although, I will hit a few min points.

A. My comment was no more than just hopes for a CAA tournament closer to home. Who wouldn't want that?

B. Our fellow conference mates represent us. Whether you want to admit it or not. The better the conference, the better we look (even if we don't look so hot) Why do you think Tom Pecora left us for Fordham? We were clearly better, but obviously he felt the name A10 held more status. Why do you think many of us would LOVE an invitation into the A10? Because the conference matters. So, until that spectacular day comes, it only makes sense to hope for our conference to progress and improve.

It was always nice to be able to tell people "The CAA? Oh we're in the conference with George Mason" to which they'd respond with "Oh didn't they just go to the Final Four?" Rather than Stony Brook, in which they can say "Oh yeah...We have University of Baltimore County and UMASS Lowell..." Not much to brag about, right? Not really knocking down the doors of the arena for that game, correct?

So is my logic really THAT delusional? Maybe it is and I'm just young and ignorant with much to learn...