CAA Tournament

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

CAA Tournament

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

How are people feeling about tomorrow's game?

Delaware gave us trouble in the first two games, the first game at UD was a slug-fest, we had a double digit lead late in the second half, but we really got dragged into their pace, and barely escaped with the 2 point W.

In Hempstead we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the first half, but we put together a very solid second half, grabbed a double digit lead after being 11 down at halftime, and solidly closed them out in the last five minutes to get the W. Big performance from Sabety with Rok sidelined with the groin injury in that one.

I think we get the season sweep against Delaware. JWF has really come on to become an elite CAA player, our starting five is really small, but has been solid offensively. I don't think UD is a good enough team offensively to hang with us anymore, I really like Daly though, the kid can play. Ingelsby has done a good job in year 1 as a late hire IMO.

Hopefully Rok is nearing 100% with the lower body injury, he's going to need to play lots of minutes at a high level this weekend if we expect to advance beyond Friday.

I have some hope we could get to the semifinals despite the UNCW draw on Saturday if we win tomorrow. I like the matchups for us. I think we can play man to man against both UD and UNCW, which is huge for us because we've been so bad in the zone this year. We legitimately need 30 from JWF every game in this tournament though to get over the top. The X-factor is Bernardi, he needs to be efficient for us, if he's draining the 3, the whole offense opens up and we will have an opportunity to knock off UNCW and hopefully W&M in the semis.
HUSID80

Re: CAA Tournament

Post by HUSID80 »

Ok it's time to ROAR FOR FOUR! That's what I came up with as a theme for us in the CAA Tournament! Let's get Delaware first and I agree, we have played UNCW real tough both games and now it's our turn to win...Don't forget the added motivation of knocking them out like they did to us in last year's final.

I believe we are the healthiest we have been all year and now we're rested...

ROAR FOR FOUR!!!!!!!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID80 wrote:ROAR FOR FOUR!!!!!!!
I like it. Lets get through DE first but I do agree with both of you in that we at least have a chance verse UNCW.
Polito

Post by Polito »

UD is scrappy and will provide a battle, but I agree, I think HU is playing well right now and finally starting to fire on all cylinders. Never easy to beat a team 3 times IMO, but I think HU can take this game.

Read a few places from coach that Rok is ready to ... well, rock! Back to top form - that could be a difference maker.

4 in 4 is just brutal, and HU has a rough track with UNCW looming. But I also agree, HU has played them tough - not out of the question for the good guys to steal one - and it just takes one.

If all goes well Friday, we should have a viewing party for the Sat game - haven't heard anything back yet from the school, so we may need to do this on our own, which is fine - a nice afternoon HU hoops battle at Savoy would be a lot of fun
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

ESPN Pick Center opens with us as 8 point favs. How about JWF? Will he be named to the CAA First Team? Pemberton to all freshman team? Rok defensive team?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Rok defensive team? I think a 7 ft Statue of Liberty would get more blocks than Rok
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Just win the game. No excuses.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Rok did not make the All Defensive team this year, nor do I think he deserved it. Hopefully next year, he has a much better year.

Eli on All Rookie Team
JWF on CAA Second team

Sabety and Rok on All Academic team
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

It'll be interesting to see what kind of crowd we get tomorrow, especially considering both teams are Northern. Last I heard, the school was not sending down any students or spirit support, so the team is going to be feeding off of whatever fans make the trek to Charleston. I'm unfortunately not able to make it due to work (if it was in Baltimore, I would've been able to drive down for at least Saturday), but I hope everyone who is able to go has a great time and is loud!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I think the crowd will be sparse...friends and family...saw the baseball team is playing Charleston over the weekend...would be cool if they came...did that a couple of years ago in Richmond and supported the hoopsters big time!
Cards

Post by Cards »

stuball888 wrote:Rok defensive team? I think a 7 ft Statue of Liberty would get more blocks than Rok
I know it can be frustrating watching Rok play defense while trying to stay out of foul trouble. That being said, I think the truth about his "D" is seen in how the other teams play against him. Every team we play against has the strategy of trying to get Rok into foul trouble. Every team we play against needs to put two guys on him to keep him off the boards. Its the best compliment you can give a guy regarding his defense. NOBODY wants to have to play against him and NO OPPONENT wants him on the court. NUFF SAID!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Just curious what is Hofstra's stats for points in the paint as opposed to it's CAA counterparts dollars to donuts we are out scored in the paint look at all the layups scored against us while Rok is a great rebounder I think we are even being outrebounded in CAA only stats
Cards

Post by Cards »

As far as the number go, I think you're probably right Stu. Problem is that with this teams make-up, whether its Rok or Hunter in the game, they are essentially the only guys that exhibit a presence in the paint. They basically are on their own with no support from a true 4. Think back to last year where we had Koons helping out down low and getting boards, or even Tanksley. After RG and HS, we are scrapping with undersized guys trying to get 3-4 boards a game. I know TG had a few good games, but they were few, and in general he has been of little help underneath.

Our bigs just have to try and stay on the court (without too many fouls) because we have no defensive support/backup in the 4 and 5 spots behind Rok and Hunter. Too bad AW and TG have not panned out. Really hoping either Truehart is a stud next year, we bring in another 6'7" - 6'8" guy next year for the 4, or both. We definitely need that transition guy between our guards and big men. Now, if only that talented 6'8" 4 would magically surface and commit to HU, we'd be all set :lol: :lol:
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

stuball888 wrote:Rok defensive team? I think a 7 ft Statue of Liberty would get more blocks than Rok
LOL!

Rok regressed this year, but I think he was playing hurt all season. He definitely had a hand issue that was hurting him early on that may still be bothering him, and the groin issue sapped his athleticism. Gotta get that FT% up though, he has to be worst in D-1 among players that qualify. We should start a GoFundMe for Rok so he could see a sports psychologist about that.

Bummer the school isn't sending anybody down, but I get it, this trip requires a flight, and a massive coordination effort. Twice as tough considering we're in the Friday game. If we end up being a top seed one season, Charleston is worth it IMO. Times like this I just wish we played in the MAAC, we could make that drive to Albany in our sleep.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like I was wrong, there's a small contingent of cheerleaders heading down, and possibly some dance team members, and at least Willie will be there. That's what I can tell from social media.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I have seen coach JM quoted recently saying he things Rok is one of the best defensive bigs in the league...

Um, what?!? Yeah, no. Can't believe anyone would think he should be on the all-d team - goodness no.

I'm all for supporting our guys, and I am a huge Rok fan, but IMO he is a very poor defensive player, as is most of this team.

I know they are related, but rebounding and playing D are different skill sets. Rok is truly one of the best rebounders HU and the CAA have ever seen - he has tremendous presence, understanding of positioning, strong hands, etc. This is unquestionable.

However he is a turnstile on D routinely getting owned in the paint whether being fooled on backdoor cuts, blown past by more athletic players, dunked on when caught way out of position, or backed up and scored on by a big with good footwork. I have expected MUCH more from him, and any guy that is constantly billed as 'the strongest man alive' by his HC and stands at 6'9 240 with the ability to move. He should be a much better defensive player.

And being able to play effective D involves understanding how to play it and not foul out. That is not an excuse to play soft, and that is what we've seen from him every year. Rok has a LOT of work to do to become a strong defensive presence.

Eh, who knows, maybe I'm asking for a lot :D . But I hope it changes starting this weekend!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: The X-factor is Bernardi, he needs to be efficient for us, if he's draining the 3, the whole offense opens up and we will have an opportunity to knock off UNCW and hopefully W&M in the semis.
Here's hoping BB really shows up this weekend. He and Powers know this is it for them, so hopefully they play their best basketball of the season starting tonight.

Also, was looking through the CAA stats and although Powers got off to a rocky start in the assists category, he ended up finishing 3rd in the conference (and 4th is assist/TO ration). Was surprised to see that.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: I think we are even being outrebounded in CAA only stats
Our rebounding differential per game in CAA games is -3.3. Delaware is the only team who is worse.
Wags

Post by Wags »

No tourney score predictions contest this year, Evan?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Video not working