https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/high-scho ... ight-title

hc57
ProudofPride

Re: Men's Lax 2017

Post by ProudofPride »

HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I hope "multi-year" means "until your kid graduates".
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I think people are way to hard on ST. Yes he should have more than one CAA title, but the landscape of Division I college men's lacrosse has changed drastically in last decade with much more parity and virtually no margin for error. Last year we were 11-3 and beat defending national champions, but were't close to an at-large bid that 10 years earlier would have been sure thing. He has more importantly kept program in strong standing off the field.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Problem is not just Seth but the administration in general. The handwriting was on the wall but Hofstra did not adjust to the changing landscape. They still are reactive instead of proactive. They will continue to play catchup until they take the bulls by the horns. One lax title on what ten years is unacceptable
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HofstraHockey wrote:I hope "multi-year" means "until your kid graduates".
His daughter Erin is committed to play for the women's team. If she's even half as good as her brother, we'll have to keep him around until she graduates in 2022.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Josh Byrne just broke the Major League Lacrosse record for goals by a rookie in one season. Previous record was Kieran McArdle's 34 throughout 12 games. Byrne has 3 goals so far in this game, giving him 35 in the season, and he'll end the season playing only 9 games.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Holy friggin moly... someone PLEASE get me meds before I blow a gasket

:shock: :o :? :roll: :( :cry: :x

HP1, sheez my friend, appreciate you, but you better check back in ASAP and preface that post with "Before I say this, I want it to be known I am ST's wife, brother, uncle, nephew, long lost son, daughter, or ANY relative that will excuse what I am about to say"

Otherwise, you should have your posting rights revoked for 2190 hours (just a tad over 3 months). FUN FACT: This is the number of days ST has gone without producing the NCAA's in a sport HU should be a dominate force sitting in THE hotbed of talent with very adequate resources. Also known as 6 years. Also known as underperforming. Also known as allowing a program to get left in the dust. Also known as choking on a yearly basis. Also known as sinking one of the most proud programs and traditions of success in HU athletics history.

JK, we need all the HU fans we can get. But seriously, the excuses need to stop, and the accountability needs to start. C'mon.

I do agree with you fully that he has kept the program and it's student athletes in good standing. Not undercutting him there, truly agree he deserves full credit for that, and that is not a small thing.

It just doesn't exonerate him from actually WINNING THE DAMN CONFERENCE.

When RT graduates, this program needs change, to move on and UP. A leader MUST be brought in here who is going to do whatever it takes legally to produce conference titles and NCAA appearances. And then be held to that standard, with a set time frame to accomplish it.

The 'whenever' attitude gotstago - burying this program. I am baffled...frustrated...and would think every true blue feels the same.

Absolutely no success metrics or parameters to uphold with this program. Absolutely no accountability to win. Absolutely no pressure for this staff to do anything other than what they've been doing. Where are the expectations to PRODUCE, to achieve the NCAAT? To elevate this program??

If this program is really valued, an expiration date for the dance should be set. Get it done, or thanks for your service. I really don't want to hate on this guy, don't know him personally, and I'm sure he's a quality dude. I just can't stand for mediocrity and below, and I can't stand acceptance of it or excuse-making for it. And damn sure won't stand for REWARDING it. That's an insult to the program, the players, the tradition, and the fans.

Sigh... So much for holding the gasket. Why do I even care... pretty clear no one else gives a rats a$$. :evil:
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Just heard interview with Tierney on WRHU's the Locker Room as part of their state of the program series. On good news front he mentioned that they are opening next season at Ohio State and will be hosting UNC so that is two solid chances at signature wins. Unfortunately he also said that UNC informed him that next year will be last time they play us so that is a blow for future non-conference schedules. He also mentioned additional depth arriving on faceoffs with arrival of Colgate transfer Brendon Luu, who played at Chaminade so that should make for some practice battles with Kyle Gallagher, who would have faced Luu during some Chaminade-St. Anthony's games. He also mentioned how program has had a 100% graduation rate since he arrived, which is to say the least very impressive.
Last edited by HofstraPride1 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Great job losing UNC off the schedule. Don't give me some lame excuse as to why- if Hofstra was a top level program like it SHOULD be, they would be dropping them.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:Great job losing UNC off the schedule. Don't give me some lame excuse as to why- if Hofstra was a top level program like it SHOULD be, they would be dropping them.
That's nonsense! This is all UNC and probably due to them losing to us and no having much to gain. Probably same reasons Hopkins also dropped us after getting clobbered in 2010. Teams used to want to play at Hofstra to recruit on Long Island, but today unfortunately don't have same incentive. Not sure if Hofstra's earlier decision to not play non-conference games in NC due to their ludicrous bathroom law played a role or not, but I hope not.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
HofstraHockey wrote:Great job losing UNC off the schedule. Don't give me some lame excuse as to why- if Hofstra was a top level program like it SHOULD be, they would be dropping them.
That's nonsense! This is all UNC and probably due to them losing to us and no having much to gain. Probably same reasons Hopkins also dropped us after getting clobbered in 2010. Teams used to want to play at Hofstra to recruit on Long Island, but today unfortunately don't have same incentive. Not sure if Hofstra's earlier decision to not play non-conference games in NC due to their ludicrous bathroom law played a role or not, but I hope not.
Let's also wait and see what the schedule looks like for 2019. If they are able to replace the UNC game with another top opponent then it is all good.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Believe it or not, I actually won't and don't put this on ST - at least not entirely... but there IS something to this that needs hammering.

This happened because:

A) UNC is being a punk - which I am not surprised - not a fan in the least - hoping they get the hammer from the NCAA on their fake class scandal
B) They have absolutely nothing to gain - you nailed it HP1, zero incentive. And can we all finally admit why? It is because HU has allowed their program to get buried in the landscape.

HU has made ZERO adjustments to adapt to the changing game. And now they are starting to pay the price. I think this will only get worse, unless something is done to stop the bleeding. Hope this is a wake up call for them, AND some of you... It def ain't all ST, but he is a part of the problem.

This once proud program that every top lax program in the nation wanted a piece of, now can't even sell itself as a worthy opponent to teams that matter. And no one is doing a damn thing about it. Disgusting.

If any of you continue to support this, you have only yourselves to blame. This program is beyond the need for change - it MUST change to survive, period.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
Yeah, they have nothing to gain because the team sucks. If the team made the tournament every year, they WOULD have something to gain. But they went from #2 in the country for a hot minute to missing the tournament completely- really hard to blame UNC for that one.
Polito

Post by Polito »

HH, my man, did we just become best friends?!?!? :lol:

I would only correct that to state that it's not the 'team' per say, but the PROGRAM that has declined

As I understand it HU has some rather talented hard-working players every year... they just have poor leadership IMO, and therefore have become a program that chokes and can't finish or win when it counts. The result is they haven't won the conference or been to the NCAA in years, and worse, it's been accepted :x . It should be a privilege for top teams to play HU in LI - a want, a desire, a must. And it WAS when HU Lax was legit, treated seriously and as a priority, winning, regularly top 15ish, conference champs, and producing NCAAT appearances.

But this program has floundered and been allowed to deep-6 itself - and ST is at the helm. Yet folks just want to keep excusing the sinking ship - blaming the environment instead of demanding adaption to it.

This is like making a blind exaggerated absolute statement like 'there are no jobs'. No, there are jobs, you just need to adapt yourself to an ever-changing economy, rather than standing by hoping things will turn out ok, or trying to force things to be the way you want or the way they used to be. It's baffling HU does not seem to have people who can figure this out, or who have the boldness, courage, and/or CARE to do something about it.

But trust me, I do know exactly what you are saying, and the overall premise of your post is right on the money - I read it and said, "Bingo, HH 'gets it'!!" Free round on me at the next hoops game. And for anyone else who doesn't have their head in the sand.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Looks like we are opening the 2018 season @Ohio State and hosting UNC, but not for much longer (that's what back-to-back wins over the Tar Heels will do to your schedule):

"I’ve also heard about the Hofstra Pride opening next season against the Ohio State Buckeyes on the road, and the Pride will also host UNC, according to WRHU’s interview with head coach Seth Tierney on The Locker Room. Tierney added that North Carolina informed the program it would be the last time the two schools face off for some time. The teams played each other in Chapel Hill for the past two years, with the Pride taking both meetings."

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2017/8/9/ ... s-schedule

Did anyone catch the interview with Coach Tierney on WRHU? Any other news?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Jojogunne wrote:Looks like we are opening the 2018 season @Ohio State and hosting UNC, but not for much longer (that's what back-to-back wins over the Tar Heels will do to your schedule):

"I’ve also heard about the Hofstra Pride opening next season against the Ohio State Buckeyes on the road, and the Pride will also host UNC, according to WRHU’s interview with head coach Seth Tierney on The Locker Room. Tierney added that North Carolina informed the program it would be the last time the two schools face off for some time. The teams played each other in Chapel Hill for the past two years, with the Pride taking both meetings."

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2017/8/9/ ... s-schedule

Did anyone catch the interview with Coach Tierney on WRHU? Any other news?
I listened and only other thing of note was a new faceoff guy transfering in from Colgate, Brendan Luu, a Chaminade product.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Thanks, HP1. Luu is a nice addition. He'll give us depth at face-off, our Achilles' heel last season.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/high-scho ... 1.10456974

According to this article from Newsday, Luu was named MVP of the 2015 CHSAA championship after winning 21 of 26 faceoffs and helping Chaminade defeat St. Anthony, 15-7.

Here are some highlights. Luu is #15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxacRQGkR2I