Game 29: UNC Wilmington on February 18, 2017 at 4:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Game 29: UNC Wilmington on February 18, 2017 at 4:00 P.M.

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=148206 has statistics. Hofstra is starting Powers, Wright-Foreman, Pemberton, Gustys, and Bernardi. The game is on American Sports Network in many cities and on SNY here.
EvanJ

Re: Game 29: UNC Wilmington on February 18, 2017 at 4:00 P.M

Post by EvanJ »

UNC Wilmington is starting Ambrose Mosley (guard), Chris Flemmings (guard), Denzel Ingram (guard), C.J. Bryce (guard), and Devontae Cacok (forward).

http://static.caasports.com/custompages ... m#team.ind has UNC Wilmington's statistics.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2017 ... -uncw.html is Jerry Beach's preview.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Sabety has a season-high 2 assists. He had 3 this season before today.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Defense is apparently optional today for both teams. UNCW currently shooting 51%, while we're shooting 60%
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

UNCW scoring easy jump shots in the middle of the poor Zone.
jaspegs

Post by jaspegs »

Took 19 minutes for Joe to try man to man. Maybe, just maybe try something else?
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

JM can frustrate me to no end with some of his decisions.
jaspegs wrote:Took 19 minutes for Joe to try man to man. Maybe, just maybe try something else?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

UNC Wilmington has their largest lead of the game at 46-38 at halftime. UNC Wilmington has 13 assists and Hofstra has 13 made field goals. I wonder if Hofstra has ever played a half in which every player who has attempted a field goal made at least half while the opponent had at least as many assists as Hofstra had field goals made. Wright-Foreman has 11 points, Pemberton has 9, Gustys has 8, Powers has 7, Bernardi has 3, Robinson and Sabety have not attempted a field goal, and Greer hasn't played. Chris Flemmings has scored 18. UNC Wilmington does not have a turnover. They made their only free throw in the last minute of the half. I wonder when the last time a team played over 19 minutes with no free throws made and no turnovers.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Offense has now fallen apart.We got within 1 at 52-51, but now we haven't scored in over 3 minutes and UNCW is on an 8-0 run.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Same ole Same Outcome, almost predictable.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Did you watch the same game as me ????

Are you serious ??

That was a great game, a great effort, and great job.

Rokas had one foul at half. Why is that ?

If you don't recognize what is going on try to just assume some people know more than you.

Took the #1 team in the league to the last possession jump shot.

Stop !!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Very good exciting college basketball game. Our guys played hard and basically took the best team in the league down to the wire. Best fan participation all year - game was pretty intense for the last 10 minutes.

Good effort by Rok (looks healthy again), JWF, EP and DP. Nothing from the SF spot. BB was off tonight (used up his streaky shooting on Thursday and made nothing tonight).

All is not perfect in HU MBB land, but the last two games we stuck with the 2 best teams in the league till the very end. Given the team make-up and talent level we currently have, I'd have to say I'm OK with the losses of the last two games.

JM gotta get a true PG and someone who can step in and contribute at the 4 spot. Unless ST is burning it up at practices, we should bring someone in for additional/immediate help for next year at the 4.

Thursday night at pregame chalk talk, asst coach said that is exactly the two holes they are trying to fill --- that was very encouraging to hear!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wright-Foreman shot free throws 15 out of 15, making him the seventh player in CAA history to make at least 15 free throws without a miss. Of the previus six CAA players to do that, two came while Hofstra was in the CAA. Delaware's Kory Holden made 15 out of 15 on January 30, 2016 and Drexel's Frantz Massenat made 15 out of 15 on February 4, 2012. The last CAA player to make at least 16 free throws without a miss was William & Mary's Mit Winter on January 24, 2001. Winter made 17 that day, which is the only time a CAA player made at least 17 free throws without a miss. Hofstra says their player records are 20 free throws made and 24 free throws attempted, but they don't say what the most free throws without a miss is. Before today, no Hofstra player had made at least 13 free throws without a miss in the CAA. I wonder if a player has ever made at least 15 free throws without a miss the game after his team made 2 or fewer throws. Hofstra made 2 out of 5 free throws on Thursday. Wright-Foreman raised his free throw percentage from .703 to .741.

Hofstra's bench did not attempt a field goal. I wonder when the last time that happened was. Hofstra's positive contributions from their bench were 1 point, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 blocked shot. All of that came from Sabety in 8 minutes. Robinson didn't make a positive contribution in 10 minutes.

Greer played for 3 seconds. I wonder if that will be the shortest amount of time played (other than not playing) by anybody on any team this season.

Hofstra made only 2 three-pointers in the last 34:29.

This game had enough rare events that if you could have bet $10 before the game that all of them would happen, I would guess you could have become a millionaire!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I agree - was at the game and they looked good to me. Great intensity and effort. Just fell a little short. The final score is not indicative of how close the game was. This team can hang, and I think beat, any team in this league. They have come up short too many times, but if things break right they could surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Why even put him in.
EvanJ wrote:Greer played for 3 seconds.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Horseshoes and hand grenades, close but no cigars, moral victory.

Maybe if the coaches adjusted D and played more "Man"

Too many easy baskets in the middle of the "Soft" Zone.
Pride97 wrote:I agree - was at the game and they looked good to me. Great intensity and effort. Just fell a little short. The final score is not indicative of how close the game was. This team can hang, and I think beat, any team in this league. They have come up short too many times, but if things break right they could surprise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The attendance was 2,611. That raises our average from 1,796 to finish at 1,854. That's higher than in each of the last four seasons. Hofstra averaged 1,685 last season.
Cards

Post by Cards »

DCDUTCH wrote:Horseshoes and hand grenades, close but no cigars, moral victory.Maybe if the coaches adjusted D and played more "Man"Too many easy baskets in the middle of the "Soft" Zone.
Agree about the "soft" zone. Its swiss cheese anywhere near or just inside the foul line. Buts that the problem when we have to go soooo small. When UNCW sends a 6'-6" guy cutting to the foul line, Rok can't leave his man, and nobody else steps up (or isn't big enough) to help out. Hence one of the results of not having a decent sized 4. Last year, we had Koons at 6'8" to help out underneath if Rok stepped up, or could get into the paint and help defend if Rok stayed with his man. We simply don't have that option to go to this year.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

And the staff is recruiting another under sized forward in 6'4 Jahlil Tripp. SMH.

Cards wrote:
DCDUTCH wrote:Horseshoes and hand grenades, close but no cigars, moral victory.Maybe if the coaches adjusted D and played more "Man"Too many easy baskets in the middle of the "Soft" Zone.
Agree about the "soft" zone. Its swiss cheese anywhere near or just inside the foul line. Buts that the problem when we have to go soooo small. When UNCW sends a 6'-6" guy cutting to the foul line, Rok can't leave his man, and nobody else steps up (or isn't big enough) to help out. Hence one of the results of not having a decent sized 4. Last year, we had Koons at 6'8" to help out underneath if Rok stepped up, or could get into the paint and help defend if Rok stayed with his man. We simply don't have that option to go to this year.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I think Jahlil Tripp is supposed to be more of a tall guard - more like a 3. Not really a 4 (although there is reference to him out there that has him listed as a SF who gets lots of boards). At least that is what I'm hearing - if anyone has any other info????