Softball 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Softball 2017

Post by stuball888 »

Actually I have seenit but I this tourney it didn't happen. Have to look at the NCAA rulecbook
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Yes John we won
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Nice who do we play next?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Placing a player on 2nd to start the inning is known as the international tiebreaker rule. I thought that's only used in college starting the 10th inning, but it wasn't used today, maybe because it's a tournament.
Btw, speaking of rulebook, the CAA softball rulebook states that teams are allowed up top 20 players in uniform for the tournament. It'll be interesting to see if the conference actually makes JMU adhere to that, considering they have way more players than that on their roster. Larissa Anderson should be all over that if not
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I'm sure Mickey Dean is well aware of the rule. I believe the international takes place in the NCAA tourney but is optional in conference tournaments
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

1-1 game in the middle of the 5th inning. We took a 1-0 lead in the first, JM-Who then scored 1 in the 3rd. Great defense for HU has kept it a tie game.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Falling apart in the bottom of the 5th now, pitchers have nothing. Down 5-1, bases still loaded with only 1 out, and a run was just walked in. 4 runs on 4 hits, a walk, hit by pitch, and an error so far.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Just gave up a grand slam, and run rule is in effect. Game over. Bad pitching loses us yet another game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We play UNCW at 6 tonite. Winner advances to play JMU tomorrow. The winner tonite must beat JMU twice tomorrow to advance to the NCAAs
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Back to the championship, where we belong! Quite the turnaround for the team after not even making the tournament last season. The best part is how young this team is.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We are very inconsistant. Pitching is scary. Irons again struggled with control; 5 walks in 3 innings.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Nice to see us in the title games although JMU is a clear favorite. Is there any possibility of an at large?
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

For Hofstra? No way. Barely over .500 with JMU a few months ago as the only real quality win on the schedule, with a LOT of bad losses.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Nope, the RPI heading into the tournament is 69, so no chance of an at large in a 64 team field. That's a decent RPI considering almost ⅓ of the team are freshman (5 of 17), and almost half of the players were new to the team this year (8 of 17). When the chemistry is even better next year, and everyone improves there may be a chance.

Game underway we just left the bases loaded in the first inning, Hallam was called out on a controversial play at the plate. An error and a botched tag already allowed a run to JMU in the first inning, defense has to tighten up this game.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Only the third inning, and in danger of getting run-ruled as we're down 7-0 with no end the JMU scoring in sight since our pitchers literally can't find an out anywhere. 5 walks so far. Both teams have 4 hits, difference is we've left 5 on base, and we're not getting free bases like we're giving to them.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I know Cornell and Irons are freshmen but if you cant throw strikes at the D-1 level you will not survive. Next year they better improve or it will be another long season. its embarrassing as JMU is toying with us.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:I know Cornell and Irons are freshmen but if you cant throw strikes at the D-1 level you will not survive. Next year they better improve or it will be another long season. its embarrassing as JMU is toying with us.
What's frustrating is that when we had pitchers like Lotti and Galati, Anderson was considered one of the best pitching coaches in the country. Obviously Bill Edwards had a lot to do with that, but at this point in the season, I would still expect a lot more out of the pitchers.

On the offensive side, we just left the bases loaded... again. That's 8 left on base now, through only 4 innings. Is that statistic tracked anywhere? I wouldn't be surprised if we lead the conference in players LOB.

Anyone know what we have coming in next year? We're in desperate need of pitchers and stud hitters.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I haven't watched enough softball this year to give a valid opinion, but just from reading the boards, it seems like the freshmen on the basketball team are treated much differently than that of the softball. Is there a reason for that? The basketball freshmen are given much more of a break than the softball. They just made it to the championship game and placed second in the league. It took a group of well developed seniors to do that in basketball. Again, I'm coming in pretty ignorant not knowing much about softball or watching much either.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jordan wrote:I haven't watched enough softball this year to give a valid opinion, but just from reading the boards, it seems like the freshmen on the basketball team are treated much differently than that of the softball. Is there a reason for that? The basketball freshmen are given much more of a break than the softball. They just made it to the championship game and placed second in the league. It took a group of well developed seniors to do that in basketball. Again, I'm coming in pretty ignorant not knowing much about softball or watching much either.
Maybe I just have unrealistic expectations for the team. I hold all of our teams to high standards, and expect them all to be able to compete and win, because quite frankly, there's no reason they shouldn't. Softball especially, with it being such a storied program. I thoroughly expect the freshmen to be inconsistent, but it's just disappointing that today wasn't one of the better performances when they really needed to come up big for the team. Can't put all the blame on the freshmen though, the pitchers would've been a lot more comfortable if they had a solid defense and some offense behind them. Plus, Hofstra is the reason that Megan Good has 1 blemish on the season. They beat JMU once, they should've at least made it a little competitive. But you do make a solid point about them making it to the championship and finishing second, even more of an achievement considering the team didn't even make the tournament last year.

Another reason it's disappointing is that no Hofstra teams have gone to the NCAA tournament this season, and that's the first time that's happened since I've been following Hofstra sports. Technically baseball still has a chance to, but softball had a much better chance.