Softball 2017

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Softball 2017

Post by EvanJ »

ProudofPride wrote:
stuball888 wrote: I know Cornell and Irons are freshmen but if you cant throw strikes at the D-1 level you will not survive. Next year they better improve or it will be another long season. its embarrassing as JMU is toying with us.
What's frustrating is that when we had pitchers like Lotti and Galati, Anderson was considered one of the best pitching coaches in the country. Obviously Bill Edwards had a lot to do with that, but at this point in the season, I would still expect a lot more out of the pitchers.

On the offensive side, we just left the bases loaded... again. That's 8 left on base now, through only 4 innings. Is that statistic tracked anywhere? I wouldn't be surprised if we lead the conference in players LOB.

Anyone know what we have coming in next year? We're in desperate need of pitchers and stud hitters.
I'm disappointed that left on base is not kept track of.

The NCAA says Hofstra has the 53rd best opponents' winning percentage out of 295 teams. That's higher than 3 out of 7 Big 12 teams.

American Sports Network is replaying today's game four times. I wonder what Hofstra game in any sport has been replayed the most times.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I think the most disappointing part with the pitchers is that neither one established herself as the #1. We had great 1-2 punches a decade ago, but had those 8 years of Kayleigh and Olivia that made it easy on the coaching staff. Both of these girls show promise, but are much less polished than the other two were when they came to Hofstra.

The defense, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired. But to be fair, the decision making in the field and plays on the ball looked bad for all four teams I saw, not just Hofstra.

While my expectations are always high for this program, being able to get to where they are from where they were last year is a big step. Just need to go up from there.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Looks like there's now an "NIT" for softball. Any chance we get into that? Would be a great experience for this young team. http://www.womensnisc.com
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

This is from the tournament's website:

Selections for the 48-team NISC are based on:

32 automatic qualifiers – the highest seeded team from each conference’s own regular season standings after the NCAA’s selections.
The next 12 teams based on May 14’s final RPI rankings.
The next four at-large teams as determined from the season’s body of work.

Depending on the AQs, Hofstra might fall into that next 12 in RPI. UNCW I believe is a higher seed than Hofstra, based on RPI and record.

I'm sure this is pay to play, and according to Stu, Rabinowitz refuses to let them get a bus anywhere, so who knows.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Going into the tournament, our RPI was 69 and UNCW's was 95. The Seahawks had a good record against very week opponents. Not that our schedule was all that difficult, but it's certainly not a fluke that we beat them 4 times this season.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If it's pay to play don't expect Rabinowitztoloosen the purse strings
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The site says UNCW qualified already.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HofstraHockey wrote:The site says UNCW qualified already.
And UNCW's site says they already accepted an at-large bid. Could mean we get the auto bid. http://uncwsports.com/news/2017/5/12/so ... h=softball
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraHockey wrote: 32 automatic qualifiers – the highest seeded team from each conference’s own regular season standings after the NCAA’s selections.
Wouldn't that be us? Hofstra was the top team in the CAA standings who didn't win the CAA Tournament.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

here is a thought. I am just throwing this out there. Since we cancelled our trip to Lehigh this year maybe rabinowitz oks the trip to the end of year tournament.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This tournament starts today so I guess we are not in it.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:This tournament starts today so I guess we are not in it.
It starts Tuesday. The field is announced tonight, after the NCAA selection show.
It's not a good look for the program if we get in and turn it down, while UNCW accepted.
To me, it would show that the university isn't willing to support the team they same way they did just a few years ago.

Graduation is next weekend, so the school wouldn't have to pay for additional housing and meals, at least initially. It would only be travel and/or hosting expenses. The only hard part would be that this is finals week, but I'm sure the school has some sort of procedure for rescheduling exams for athletes, it must happen with softball every time they're in the NCAA tournament, same reason why that always had a separate graduation ceremony.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

UNCW was the 4th seeded team in the CAA. College of Charleston was the 3 seed. Possible that we turn down the tourney and CofC goes as the AQ.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The final season thing may play a part. There are procedures for postseason tournaments, including the NCAAs (they sent a proctor to Alabama for ME to take a final), but it does make it difficult- not a lot of time to study, prepare, and you're taking it at a desk in a hotel room, which can be unsettling. If that was the reason why they didn't do this (and let's be honest, this would be nice to do, but doesn't mean much) I'd be 100% behind it. But if this thing starts on Tuesday, that means they're on the road tomorrow. We shall see in a few hours, I suppose.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

EvanJ wrote:
HofstraHockey wrote: 32 automatic qualifiers – the highest seeded team from each conference’s own regular season standings after the NCAA’s selections.
Wouldn't that be us? Hofstra was the top team in the CAA standings who didn't win the CAA Tournament.
It's different than the NIT- it's the next best overall record, not the next best conference record. That actually puts Hofstra fifth in the CAA. UNCW, Elon, and CofC are ahead of Hofstra, and explains why UNCW is the auto qualifier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HofstraHockey wrote:
It's different than the NIT- it's the next best overall record, not the next best conference record. That actually puts Hofstra fifth in the CAA. UNCW, Elon, and CofC are ahead of Hofstra, and explains why UNCW is the auto qualifier.
But according to UNCW's release, they accepted an at-large bid, not an auto bid.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Brackets announced, we're not in it. And it looks like there aren't 32 auto bids, like the tournament site originally stated. UNCW got in based off of RPI, yet our RPI is nearly 30 spots better than theirs. Nothing against UNCW at all, but I guess I just don't understand how it clearly says they were chosen due to rpi, and we don't get in. There were only 15 auto bids, the CAA did not get one, which very well could mean we declined.

http://www.womensnisc.com/news/official ... t-brackets
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Just like I said it's a pay to play tournament and Rabinowitz did not want to pay for it. There is no other logical explanTion
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

stuball888 wrote:Just like I said it's a pay to play tournament and Rabinowitz did not want to pay for it. There is no other logical explanTion
Unless there's some sort of facts to back that up, that's a ridiculous though. Rabinowitz loves the softball team, or at least he did a few years ago when Bill Edwards was still the coach. Finals is a very valid explanation for not participating.
And we we did elect to play, we would've been one of the best teams there, so I'd assume we'd have a chance to host, which wouldn't have been practical with the school expecting 13,000 for the lax quartfinals and several thousand for graduation this weekend.
Btw, Charleston's RPI was 79 heading into the caa tournament, have to assume they declined as well.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Trust me Rabinowitz will not pay for any future tournaments the NCAA is one thing but these meaningless tournaments will not be attended inthe future