Game 27 @Northeastern

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jordan

Re: Game 27 @Northeastern

Post by Jordan »

Another bs technical. Again I've seen and heard A LOT for JAM. Yet again he questions a travel call and gets a technical? Hmmmm...
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

JM is absolutely ridiculous. Screams at the players the entire game and always ends up being found guilty getting a technical himself. ha ha ha
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

This year's team is really frustrating to watch.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

ROK has been missing simple layups all season.
jaspegs

Post by jaspegs »

JWF! Gustys with some big minutes down the stretch. NEED to close this out.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

JWF back to it!
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Only consistent Player.
Mike34 wrote:JWF back to it!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Games at Matthews Arena are always crazy, and we're lucky when we can come out of there with a win. Last year's 3 OT game comets mind, that was one of the most insane games I've ever watched. Important win for the guys today, very glad to see them get it done, especially with all the obstacles in the way.
Btw, here's JWF's dunk, could be Sports Center worthy. https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 2088775680
garyg

Post by garyg »

Having that extra player [Rok] in the rotation makes a big difference even though he did not score much tonite
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Surprised we won.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Mike34 wrote:JM is absolutely ridiculous. Screams at the players the entire game and always ends up being found guilty getting a technical himself. ha ha ha
Yes and the two techs we get turn into WINS!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:Having that extra player [Rok] in the rotation makes a big difference even though he did not score much tonite
Twelve rebounds is HUGE
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra shot three-pointers 10-19 (.526). That was Hofstra's best three-point field goal percentage since a loss to Sacred Heart in the second game of the season. It was Hofstra's best three-point field percentage in a win since a win over Norfolk State on December 2, 2014. Northeastern shot three-pointers 6-27 (.222), which is their third worst of the season. Northeastern has shot three-pointers .229 in their last three home games and .441 in their last three away games. Northeastern made under 25 percent of their three-pointers and under 60 percent of their free throws for the first time since they lost hosting Michigan State on December 19, 2015. It was the first time Northeastern did that against a CAA opponent since a CAA Tournament loss to James Madison on March 11, 2013. Northeastern also did that in a CAA Tournament loss to Towson on March 7, 2009. It was the first time Northeastern made under 25 percent of their three-pointers and under 60 percent of their free throws in a CAA regular season game, and it was their 210th CAA regular season game.
Cards

Post by Cards »

So the team we need to catch for the 6th spot is Northeastern. We have some tough games coming up, but NU has it even tougher. NU plays UNCW twice, CoC, and Elon. That's at least a couple of losses and possibly an 0-4 finish!

And I assume if we tie, we get the nod because we beat them twice this year.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Nice win. This team will live and die with the trey. between Rok and Hunter we got enough out of the center position. JWF is playing incredible. Bernardi had a solid game. While his shooting pct could be better he was hot from the 3 tonite. pemberton very efficent on offense. he should be getting more looks. Ty greer just looks lost and Robinson at best had little production in 23 minutes.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: And I assume if we tie, we get the nod because we beat them twice this year.
The only thing that could stop that is a tie with more than two teams, but if Hofstra ties with Northeastern and at least one team currently above Northeastern, Hofstra would get a bye even if they weren't the top team in the tiebreaker.

Neither team led by more than 6 until there was 1:06 left. Hofstra outscored Northeastern 18-6 in the last 6 minutes. Hofstra improved to 196th in the RPI and got their first win at a team in the top two-thirds of the RPI.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400919640 is the Associated Presr recap titled "Wright-Foreman scores 20-plus in 7th straight, Hofstra wins."

http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=7589 is the box score.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2017/2/11/men ... ath=mbball is Hofstra's recap titled "MBB: Late Hofstra Run Gives Pride Season Sweep Of Northeastern."

http://gonu.com/news/2017/2/11/mens-bas ... 74-64.aspx is Northeastern's recap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8dVDg05VNM is highlights from Northeastern.
garyg

Post by garyg »

JWF just continues to get better and better...confidence growing by the minute....dunks are now coming in gametime situations....shooting over 50% from field with more assists then turnovers....how much better can he get ??
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

garyg wrote:JWF just continues to get better and better...confidence growing by the minute....dunks are now coming in gametime situations....shooting over 50% from field with more assists then turnovers....how much better can he get ??
And only a Soph.. It's comforting to know we have JWF and EP leading us for the next 2-3 years. And at least for next year, we have the 5 spot locked up with Gustys/Sabety. As previous posts have already mentioned,I agree that bringing in a productive 4 for next year would be just what the doctor ordered. Not sure what we will get from Buie next year, so adding another PG is also a must. It's a big if, but if we can land a 1 and 4 who can contribute immediately next year, we should be able to be contenders on paper. UNCW, WM, NE all are losing their top players. Charleston and Elon will be strong again next year returning almost everyone.

As for this year, I appreciate the optimism of most, but even after beating NE last night, we would need them to lose all of their remaining 4 games and we would have to split our 4, none of which will be easy. If we would have beaten Towson, I think we would still be alive for the 6 seed. If Rok was able to play last night and grab 12 rebounds, why couldn't he have given us 10-15 minutes on Thursday? We needed a rebounder desperately against Towson. I guess they were thinking no recovery time with the quick Thursday to Saturday turnaround.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

When I saw NE earlier in the year thought they were going to be a team to reckoned with - so this was a nice road W.
JFW is the most, 1 year, improved player I have seen in my days as HU fan. Although I think he could added to last years team if given the minutes. He is also and under rated passer and rebounder.
I love the upside of EP, and look forward to a nice 1-2 punch with EP and JFW the next two years. They are something you can, and should build around.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I agree with you daHU.. I really do think we can build around JWF and Pemb.. Have to recruit big man depth soon though.