Game 27 @Northeastern

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
daHUPride

Re: Game 27 @Northeastern

Post by daHUPride »

Hofstra wrote:I agree with you daHU.. I really do think we can build around JWF and Pemb.. Have to recruit big man depth soon though.
I would like to get a "big guy" but would really love to get a few of those 6'7" athletic type guys that can stretch the floor on O and rebound on D (sort of like Tanksley but even more like Koon). Those type of players can make a team more versatile and tough to match up against.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

We "all" can want and wish, but landing theses types of players won't be easy.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Whenever I hear Koon, I automatically think to his complete meltdowns in the CAA's last year.. uchhh..
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Hofstra wrote:Whenever I hear Koon, I automatically think to his complete meltdowns in the CAA's last year.. uchhh..
But it was Green who had the worst game of his career that killed us...I will take another Koon or Green any day of the year for that matter.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:
Hofstra wrote:Whenever I hear Koon, I automatically think to his complete meltdowns in the CAA's last year.. uchhh..
But it was Green who had the worst game of his career that killed us...I will take another Koon or Green any day of the year for that matter.
I bet Gustys would agree that he misses Green, obviously, and Koon the most. Koon helped HU inside and out - could hit the three; finish around the basket and get his share of boards. Koon didn't blow the doors off it every night - but Koon was one of THOSE guys that did a little bit of everything and did everything well and nothing great. I too, would take Koon (or Green) any day of the year.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Koon was the glue guy
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Or Kenny Adeleke type PF.
Polito

Post by Polito »

NU isn't great this year, but they have some talent and are well coached, so this was really a strong road W.

Kudos to this team and staff, they are playing hard and not falling into the trap of being in the cellar and packing it in.

It's a long shot to get out of Friday, but it isn't impossible. There have been some CRAZY things happening in the CAA as we come to the final games, even to the top teams. This conf is once again relatively open for a hot team to do some damage.

Still, a 4 day tourney typically weeds out the one that is consistently the best. I expect nothing in the CAAT, just hopeful to start play on Sat and win 1. Steal 2 and I'm thrilled.

As for players, if you've been around awhile you will know and likely agree with my stance that wings (3/4 in the 6'5-6'8 range) are THE most important piece to a winning as a mid major.

The PG spot is truly vital for HU's particular offense, but generally speaking the 6'6-6'7 wing 3 or stretch 4 guy is THE role that's going to elevate a mid major team to champion status.

And HU needs one BADLY. Greer unfortunately has proven to be 100% overmatched at the D1 level. He got exactly what he should going forward, about 5-10 min/game. I am PRAYING Trueheart is ready to step into the role and be the stud that's needed. But HU absolutely should land an impact play-maker 4 in this class in addition to a game changing point.

Of course it isn't easy lol - that's recruiting in D1 :lol: . That's what I often find myself trying to explain to many on this board. HU is recruiting hard and landing real talent, esp considering their level and recent lack of real meaningful results (NCAAT or post-season WINS)

The biggest knock, which I agree completely with, is that they need to land and play a FULL roster.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito your last sentence speaks volumes I know some on this board think you don't need a full roster because you only play about 8 players. However injuries occur every year to various degrees. Have ten on the roster and get two injuries and you are in deep doo doo. This especially true if it is two starters or two who play the same position. Not everyone on a 13 man roster is a starter or deserve 20 plus minutes. They are div 1 players who should be able to step in and give st least 5 to 10 minutes a game.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

I took the RPI #1, 2, 3, 174,175, 176, 349, 350, 351 ranked teams and very quickly reviewed their minutes per player.

For a standard, even with the DB injury, we had 9 players with what I would say are "significant" minutes. Using that same criteria, this is what I found:
Nova - had 7 players with significant minutes
Baylor - 8 to 9
Kansas - 8
UAB - 9
Rice - 9
Loyola Marymount - 9
Bethune Cookman - 9
NC A&T - 9
Alabama A&M - 12

I would maintain that, overwhelmingly, teams use 7-9 players, and those last three are getting limited minutes, at best. If you get to where you need your 9, 10, 11 man to "step-up", you're already in trouble. That is why I don't think a "full bench" is a pressing priority.

That is not to say that 7,8,9 need to be better. But that is/was not the discussion. Sure, it would be great to have 7,8,9 be starter level, but that is not what folks have been saying. They have criticized a "short bench". I maintain that that is not a valid criticism.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dutchie do any of those teams have 11 or less scholarship players on their roster ? If they all carry a full compliment of 13 players maybe that is the norm
Cards

Post by Cards »

lets remember that even if a team is not "fully funded" (meaning they can carry and pay for 13 full rides), most schools can actually get by with less than 13 full rides. That is because scholarships can be split or portioned out. Meaning, if a kid on the team is a very good student, he might be on a half academic scholarship and for him to get a full ride, the basketball program may only need to offer him a half scholarship. As long as the kid keeps his grades up, he will in a sense still be on a full ride.

As far as HU is concerned, whether they are fully funded, or only have 9, 10, or 11 full rides, every guy on the team is likely paying nothing to go to school. I'm sure there are at least some guys on the team who are not on full athletic scholarships but still pay nothing for the education.

My point is that scholarships and/or $$ likely have nothing to do with HU recruiting success and/or having a full bench.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

A) I don't have any way of looking in to the "scholarship-ness" of the teams, but would assume they value the scholarship the same way we do.

B) I am of the understanding that Division One basketball scholarships are indivisible.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JWF named CAA POW again!