Offensive Efficiency

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Offensive Efficiency

Post by stuball888 »

We all have heard this term before. points per possession ,assist to turnover ratio, offensive rebounds etc. I looked at another stat which is pct of assists per basket. I think our mens team is about 40% same with the women. I then looked at UConn womens team last game against Tulsa. They had 39 field goals on 32 assists. That is a sick percentage. I wonder what is a teams winning percentage when they have a better assist to field goal percentage. means that the ball is moving as opposed to one on one.
Wags

Re: Offensive Efficiency

Post by Wags »

This team still lives and dies by the 3 way too much rather than looking to get the most efficient, high percentage shots available. Sometimes the 3 IS the most efficient, but this team thinks it can shoot the 3 better than it actually does.

They rank 3rd in the CAA, but 36.4% is okay, nothing incredible to warrant the high volume of 3s they normally take (especially when you have some post size with Rok and Sabety, and guards who are capable of penetrating).

They pulled off the miracle on Saturday in large part because they made three late 3s, but making 3 in the last minute was an aberration.

They should have lost that game, down 10, with under a minute left. And had one or two of the 3s they made in the final minute not dropped, they probably WOULD have lost... and then they would have looked at the box score to see they took a ridiculous 61.7% of their shots (37 of 60 FGA) from behind the arc in that game, in what should have been a loss. Great win, thanks to a miracle, and that was in part to the 3, but they should never be at a ratio like that. They think they're the Warriors from 3. Start with that, and not relying on that SO much if they want to improve their overall offensive efficiency.
Polito

Post by Polito »

EXACTLY what I've been saying. They, either the players staff or BOTH, keep playing like they are some lights-out shooting team, and that is simply not their makeup this year.

They can def shoot the 3, and they can def score, and they can do both in flurries - but it takes a lot of shots to do so, the efficiency doesn't always match the seemingly all 3 game-plan.

I will say though against Drexel they were massively outsized, and attacked the lane as they could - the 3 was going to be key regardless, and boy did they make some BIG ones when they needed to.

Great to have guys with the confidence and the desire to man up when needed.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: I wonder what is a teams winning percentage when they have a better assist to field goal percentage. means that the ball is moving as opposed to one on one.
Here is each team's assists/field goals made:

William & Mary: 404/663 = .609
Northeastern: 335/599 = .559
Elon: 374/671 = .557
Drexel: 370/693 = .534
UNC Wilmington: 412/784 = .526
James Madison: 288/571 = .504
Delaware: 284/569 = .499
Hofstra: 332/674 = .493
College of Charleston: 250/542 = .461
Towson: 271/642 = .422
Total: 3,320/6,408 = .518

It could be interesting to look at box scores to see what percent of the time the winning team had a higher assists/field goals made, but I'm not going to spend time doing that.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

In their first quadruple overtime game ever, South Carolina lost 90-86 hosting Alabama. South Carolina had 7 assists, which was 8.1 percent of their amount of points. I wonder when the last time a team had that low a value of assists/points. Sindarius Thornwell made 25 out of 33 free throws, coming close to the NCAA record of 36 attempts.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Our offensive efficiency is nearly identical to last season according to Pomeroy, and I tend to agree with that, I don't think it's some statistical smokescreen.

It looks different because the offense is now being run through the shooting guards, and not having Koon and Tank do work down low has really taken the pick and roll away. Opposing defenses have done a great job taking Rok out of the action, his groin injury clearly has hurt him as well. We've made good adjustments offensively though, Pemba and JWF have been efficient scorers.

I wish we would have had the opportunity to see Buie run the offense here in February. When Buie went down with the knee injury, the offense needed Powers scoring ability to get us over the top, but with how JWF has emerged, I'm curious to see how Buie would have run the offense, I was impressed with his court vision last year.