Ideas Thread

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Jordan

Ideas Thread

Post by Jordan »

Thought this thread can be a useful tool for all fans to voice any sort of opinions/ideas, and we can all bounce it off of each other. Primarily ideas relating to actions WE can do as a fan group to help out our fellow university. Preferably, it would be nice to veer away from complaining about what the university staff can do, and come up with ideas that we can do to better our own fan group with possible pitch ideas to the university.

If this type of thread already exists, PLEASE direct me to it and this one is welcomed to be taken down.

To kick things off, I'll throw out my first suggestion:

Are there any away game viewing parties? I LOVE hearing that there has been a couple of gathering already for pregame/meetings with the university staff, but what about during away games? I thought it'd be a fun idea to host away games, hookup a speedy laptop a large TV at a local grill, and collectively root on the team! I'm sure a couple of pics on twitter/social media will also pump up the team knowing that they are being cheered on during away games. This team seems to really work well off of fan support.

Any other ideas to help improve the fan experience, please comment below! I know we all would love to hear!
stuball888

Re: Ideas Thread

Post by stuball888 »

The Savoy will give us that any time we want. Would love for the school to get on board and endorse this idea.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

stuball888 wrote:The Savoy will give us that any time we want. Would love for the school to get on board and endorse this idea.
Maybe this can be tested out during the tournament? I know the school has been trying to plug the CAA Tourney but unfortunately MANY can not go due to it being in Charleston. Maybe we can try to organize viewing parties for the tournament, and have an exciting atmosphere back here on Long Island?
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Get all Sports Teams to attend each other's games (if there aren't any conflicts).
Give incentives to Frats and Sororities to attend.
Speak with Student Organizations to get involved.
Hire an outside Marketing Firm that specializes in sporting events.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Great idea! I think you could set this up on campus or at the Savoy. All you really need is some idea of how many fans and friends would attend.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Savoy would be a great spot for this. Last season, a few of us watched the win over Florida St there and it was great experience. Just imagine how much greater the atmosphere would have been for that game if we had all or most of the people who post on this board in attendance.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The CAA Tournament's First Round is only on CAA.TV, and there's no guarantee that Hofstra will play a CAA Tournament game on TV.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Appreciate the thread Jordan

Just as an FYI, this has already come up at some of our Dutch Nation events. Sure would be nice to have attendance from you folks who keep throwing out ideas like this... this is exactly why we started the group!

The challenge has been the complete lack of TV games - so the idea of watching the CAAT is potentially good, even though the TV deal for that stinks too. But definitely worth checking out - as Stu mentioned, The Savoy Tavern is perfect for this and a pro-Hofstra spot.

P.S. Side note, apparently the Burgerfi across from campus has closed :? sheez, was a great spot with food and beer! That location must be cursed.

Also, this needs to be said:

I see a lot of people have all kinds of great ideas... but seems like they always just say things for OTHERS to do. But see, we don't need that, we need everyone to help and to be a part of it. We don't need talk. We need action and support.

We have some great stuff on the horizon, FULL support of the admin, engagement from nearly ALL the coaches, and it's just the beginning. Time for all you folks who are iffy to get off the bench and into the game!!!

ROLLPRIDE
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Next Year I will make the trip up from DC and attend some games.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Polito wrote: Just as an FYI, this has already come up at some of our Dutch Nation events. Sure would be nice to have attendance from you folks who keep throwing out ideas like this... this is exactly why we started the group!

The challenge has been the complete lack of TV games - so the idea of watching the CAAT is potentially good, even though the TV deal for that stinks too. But definitely worth checking out - as Stu mentioned, The Savoy Tavern is perfect for this and a pro-Hofstra spot.
I figured it had already come up, and was quite confused why I had not seen it mentioned. Don't worry, I plan to attend the next meeting!

Also, I don't see the TV deal as a huge problem. When I watch the games at my house, there's one simple wire that I use to connect my laptop to the HDMI in the tv, and watch all Hofstra games on my large flat screen in the living room. Now, of course Savoy might not appreciate too much of us coming in and playing with their tv's, but I can only assume they have some sort of easy access to the HDMI port in the back and changing the input. It'd just take a slotted time prior, to come up with an easy and efficient way of hooking it all up at the Grille and working with them to make this a reality!

To shorten it: It's one wire from laptop to tv and any game can easily be played on the TV.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Jordan, you coming through tomorrow night for the events?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

My sisters boyfriend is an IT guy. If there is video feed anywhere he can connect it to any TV.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

stuball888 wrote:My sisters boyfriend is an IT guy. If there is video feed anywhere he can connect it to any TV.
Awesome Stu! Maybe you can get in touch with him? Nonetheless, I think this can be an idea that can certainly be implemented this year during the tourney as a test run, for a possible away game tradition next year! (Maybe not EVERY away game, but at least the big ones!)

Wags shared this similar idea in the thread about the tour/open house. I do think that the Pride Club Lounge could certainly be a spot to hold it if we the University would like to jup on board this idea, or I know we have some pull with the Savoy Grille.

Would anybody maybe like to start getting in touch with either place and begin pitching the idea?
Polito

Post by Polito »

The idea of away game or CAAT viewing parties is awesome and has been brought up by several of you folks (thanks for the input!)

Stu can easily set up something at the Tavern, and I have pinged the school with the idea to see what kind of interest or feasibility they have to hold something 'official' on campus.

Will keep everyone posted -
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Polito wrote:The idea of away game or CAAT viewing parties is awesome and has been brought up by several of you folks (thanks for the input!)

Stu can easily set up something at the Tavern, and I have pinged the school with the idea to see what kind of interest or feasibility they have to hold something 'official' on campus.

Will keep everyone posted -
Awesome! Thank you so much Polito!