Game 25 vs. Drexel on February 4, 2017 at 7:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: Game 25 vs. Drexel on February 4, 2017 at 7:00 P.M.

Post by garyg »

Any updates as to when Rok may return?
Cards

Post by Cards »

Awesome final minute. Forget about the rest of the game, the ending was a blast. So great to have a great student section. I know there were student recognition things going on, and that helped to pad the crowd, but most of the students stayed to the end. And they were nicely rewarded with a great finish! It was lots and lots of fun.

Game was really a tale of two strategies. Drexel played multiple bigs all game, and we were super small (even when HS was in, we were tiny by comparison). Neither coach changed their approach (although I guess JM has no choice with the thin bench). Unless we pull in a nice 4 spot player before next season (which I doubt will happen), I really hope ST can give us some quality minutes. It would be nice to have a second guy on the court in the 6-7 to 6-8 range. And, I know we've beat this issue to death, but I would still love to see RG and HS on the court together for a few minutes each game. Maybe its only for 1 or 2 trips up and down, but something that shows a different look, then go back smaller before the other team can really adjust. Do that a few times for 2 minutes each. I know that in pregame talks the coaches have said we cant play defense with these two together. Well, for a minimal amount of minutes, why not focus on the problems the other team might have playing defense or trying to go inside. With HS's emergence as a positive force on the court, we cant have RG and HS splitting 40 minutes. Coach has to find a way to get tem a few (not a lot), but at least a few minutes more. BTW - We got killed inside and on the boards last night!

Is there any type of CAA agreement that limits the amount of 7 pm Saturday games we play. Seems to me like its a better draw to play at 7 rather than 4. Maybe HU should play half the Saturday games at 7 and half at 4.

Evan - Do you have any stats at all on this issue??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Did this. Spectacular comeback get any national coverage like ESPN's top ten? Not too many comebacks that....wonder where it ranks all time at Hofstra? Evan?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: Is there any type of CAA agreement that limits the amount of 7 pm Saturday games we play. Seems to me like its a better draw to play at 7 rather than 4. Maybe HU should play half the Saturday games at 7 and half at 4.

Evan - Do you have any stats at all on this issue??
I would guess that team's control their home start times when the game isn't on TV. If you want you can ask Rob Washburn at rwashburn caasports.com (replace the space with @). I didn't type his e-mail address so a computer bot couldn't find it. A Saturday night game provides plenty of rest before the Thursday five days later. You gave me an idea. I should add day game or night game to my attendance linear regression model. Hofstra's schedule pages for previous seasons include the start times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EerOvAaw0DA is titled "#CAAHoops On Campus: Hofstra University Men's Basketball vs. Drexel."
HUSID80 wrote: Did this. Spectacular comeback get any national coverage like ESPN's top ten? Not too many comebacks that....wonder where it ranks all time at Hofstra? Evan?
I don't have a way at finding comebacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36N9mXbGSTM has video of Wright-Foreman's shot from the front row or scorers' table. It didn't make ESPN's Top 10.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Incredible
IMG_4783.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Just phenomenal! NE's comeback was almost as amazing... :lol:

Kudos to the fellas - this was without a doubt, the best game the regular season thus far, and one of the greatest finishes in recent memory.

It was Drexel, so I remain tempered in my excitement at the win itself, but it was an absolutely thrilling victory and one of the must-wins in order for HU to get out of the bottom 4 hole. This IS the kind of W that can be a turning point of an entire season if HU maximizes it in that way.

Hunter was tremendous again, and the final foul call was HORRIFIC. There was 1 particular ref that absolutely had it out for HU. The Tech on JM was also complete and utter BS. Trust me, he has deserved them before, this was just blatant bias against HU.

To their credit they didn't let it knock them out. If anything, it FUELED them more.

Had a chance to meet and speak with JWF's mom after - great lady, she called the play and knew he'd sink the shot :D guess she's seen him play before LOL. And she believes the technical fired them up and was worth it. Mentioned that JM is out there 100% supportive of his team and has their back each and every game. Said HU gets picked on often by officials this year, and that they love that JM fights them tooth and nail because someone has to. Was good to get that take from the mom of a superstar player that some of you think will be frustrated and go.

He ain't going anywhere. Bank that. This program is going to be BUILT around him for the next couple of years.

Awesome to see Pemba out there playing really well - still needs to find that consistent 3 stroke he has, but he was strong to the hoop, played tough on D in a major size mismatch, and sank some key shots.

Greer, Robinson, and BB... mama mia. I know each had a key shot, but my goodness, there are a thousand players that can make one 3 per game. the production from those 3 is just BRUTAL this year. BB I've spoken about ad nauseam, so I'll leave it for now - it's obvious to EVERYONE at this point. That leads me to Powers.

He had a tremendous game. And now I understand why he HAS to score so much. If HU had ANY amount of tangible production from their 4 spot, he could probably focus on dishing more. But when Greer and Robinson COMBINE for 4pts and 5rbs (?!?), well, points gotta be made up somewhere. And Powers did well. JM did praise their D, but I must've been blinking during those times in the game. They are complete non-factors, and it's hurt this season more than I think any of us even realize.

For Drexel, I think they actually match up with HU well, so the rebounding not a suprise, and the it makes the win that much sweeter - great size, and that Lee PG kid was flat out tremendous. As good a game as Powers had, that freshman was running him silly. Bright future for him.

Great crowd, GREAT student section that actually 75% stayed to the end, and it was HUUUUUGE for HU to finally win win like that with a great home crowd, instead of being the one leaving in heartbreak.

On to a couple of season turning tough road games - ROLLPRIDE baby, ROLLPRIDE
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Here's a link to the video of the last minute of the game, which takes 12 minutes to play:

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/8 ... 9232977922
Wags

Post by Wags »

Great comeback, one for the ages, but let's be honest... Drexel aided it by self destructing. In the final minute, the Dragons went 0-for-3 at the line, then up two, they're called for a foul while trying to inbound under their own basket, giving the ball back to Hofstra for the go-ahead 3.

Like the Pats' comeback on Sunday, the Falcons had to contribute with some poor decision-making and lack of execution on some basic things they should've been able to do, to make the comeback possible. No different with Drexel and Hofstra.

Enjoy the comeback, it'll be talked about years from now, and it should be. But in the larger picture of where THIS season is headed right now, it shouldn't overshadow the fact that they got outplayed by 10 points, for 39 minutes, by a last-place team on their home floor. That part still doesn't tell me that this team is ready to avoid playing the extra day in Charleston and to make any type of run down there. We'll find out a lot more on that on this two-game swing to Towson and Boston on Thu & Sat.