Game 25 vs. Drexel on February 4, 2017 at 7:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Game 25 vs. Drexel on February 4, 2017 at 7:00 P.M.

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2017 ... rexel.html is by Jerry Beach and is titled "I’ll Be Quirky: Drexel."

http://gohofstra.com/news/2017/2/3/mens ... ath=mbball is Hofstra's preview titled "MBB: Drexel Visits Hempstead To Complete Season Series With Hofstra."

http://gohofstra.com/documents/2017/2/3 ... game25.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

http://drexeldragons.com/news/2017/2/3/ ... urday.aspx is Drexel's preview titled "Dragons Look to Return to Winning Ways at Hofstra on Saturday." The graphic at the top mistakenly says the game is in "West Hempstead."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/drexeldragons. ... _notes.pdf is Drexel's Game Notes.

http://static.caasports.com/custompages ... m#team.ind has Drexel's statistics.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=148116 will have statistics.
EvanJ

Re: Game 25 vs. Drexel on February 4, 2017 at 7:00 P.M.

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra is starting Powers, Wright-Foreman, Pemberton, Bernardi, and Sabety. They are averaging 16.2 rebounds per game combined. That's fewer than the 16.9 rebounds by Gustys and Greer who aren't starting.

Drexel is starting Kurk Lee (guard), Austin Williams (forward), Kari Jonsson (guard), Sammy Mojica (guard), and Rodney Williams (forward).

Edit: Hofstra went down 3, up 8, down 1, and now leads 29-24 with 6:01 left in the first half. Hofstra has made 5 out of 13 three-pointers. Hofstra made 3 out of 25 three-pointers at Drexel last week.

Edit: It's 29-29 with 3:47 left in the first half. Kurk Lee (17 points), Austin Williams (10 points), and Rodney Williams (2 points) are the only Drexel players who have scored. Powers has made 3 three-pointers and leads Hofstra with 11 points. Wright-Foreman has scored 7. Hofstra doesn't have anybody with more than 2 rebounds. Hofstra now leads 31-29 after Powers made free throws to get up to 13 points.

Edit: Drexel leads 37-34 at halftime. Drexel's field goal percentage is .552. Kurk Lee led all players with 17 points. He has 4 rebounds, which more than his average of 3.6. The good news is that with 3.7 seconds left he committed an offensive foul which was his third. Drexel had 5 more fouls and 2 more turnovers, which is good, but Drexel had 7 more rebounds. If you do rebounds + assists + steals + blocked shots - turnovers - fouls, Drexel had more, 19 to 18. The teams attempted about the same amount of shots. Drexel attempted 1 more field goal and Hofstra attempted 2 more free throws. All 6 free throw attempts were made. Rodney Williams is up to 8 points. It must be rare for a team to have nobody with 1 to 7 points at halftime. Hofstra has made 6 three-pointers. 17 out of their 28 field goal attempts were three-pointers.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Good Technical Coach.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

12-0 run in the last minute to steal this game. Of course I go to virtually every game and miss the game of the year tonight lol. Nice to see the team never quit and also it looked like an energetic crowd with a pretty good student section. Although you can't say the atmosphere helped the team in the first 59 minutes of the game.

Looking at the standings, we are 2 games behind the 6 seed Northeastern with 6 games to play. We play at Northeastern next week which is a MUST WIN. Their remaining schedule might be even more difficult than ours. They still have to play both Charleston and Wilmington twice each. There is a glimmer of hope we might be able to still swing the 6 seed. But we need that game in Boston!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote:12-0 run in the last minute to steal this game. Of course I go to virtually every game and miss the game of the year tonight lol.
Incredible comeback! Same with me. There almost every game, tonight I'm at MSG watching the Cavs blow the Knicks out again. Figures. So sorry I missed the end of this one. Must have been incredibly exciting. Wonder where it ranks in terms of Hofstra comebacks all-time.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

And ironically this was the one game I actually was at this year. And now I'm not at all regretting my decision.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:And ironically this was the one game I actually was at this year. And now I'm not at all regretting my decision.
That actually makes me feel a little better. Good to have balance.

At least I got to see Living Colour perform "Cult Up Personality" and LeBron become the youngest to reach 28,000 points. But would have preferred seeing the amazing comeback.
Last edited by Wags on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaspegs

Post by jaspegs »

What a comeback. No clue why Joe still won't use Andre Walker but it's a lost cause at this point.Saw Ameen Tanksley wondering the same thing on Twitter and Andre Walker just posted a picture on Instagram captioned "Mood" with a picture of the joker locked behind bars.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

DCDUTCH wrote:Good Technical Coach.
I'll be forthright and admit my enjoyment at yelling at the refs from "time to time", although usually understand that they're usually doing their job as best as possible, and trying to be as even on both sides as possible. (Admittedly, my anger is probably more toward the poor defense and missed layups rather than the officiating.) That being said, I believe that tonight's officiating crew was seemingly a tad bit biased.

The fourth foul was frustrating on Hunter Safety, but an acceptable call. But the fifth, what seemed like only a minute later during a clear block that sat him for the rest of the game, seems quite preposterous. I have never seen an officiating crew sit a player that quickly. I know they shouldn't pose bias to a player with 3/4 fouls, but to sit him 30 seconds later on a clear block with (7 minutes??) left? That's just ridiculous.

Second, I will preface with: I know that Mihalich's yelling at the refs is quite controversially debated on here, with several mixed opinions. But, sitting front row, in which I can hear almost every word Mihalich says all game, the technical was just BS. All I heard (correct me if I'm wrong) was Mihalich say "Over the back?!?! Over the back?!?" I have heard Mihalcih curse at the refs, use their first names quite often, sarcastically sweet talk them, and everything in between and never receive a technical. This time, he simply question the no call and received a technical? On top of that the ref aggressively whistled him to just sit down minutes later? That seems a little ridiculous right?

But, maybe it's just my own bias from a passionate fan. Nonetheless, exciting win, with a VERY loud and active crowd! :)
Last edited by Jordan on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

jaspegs wrote:What a comeback. No clue why Joe still won't use Andre Walker but it's a lost cause at this point.Saw Ameen Tanksley wondering the same thing on Twitter and Andre Walker just posted a picture on Instagram captioned "Mood" with a picture of the joker locked behind bars.
Wouldn't doubt a transfer after this year. Has to be frustrating for him.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

I don't blame him if he does transfer.
Jordan wrote:
jaspegs wrote:What a comeback. No clue why Joe still won't use Andre Walker but it's a lost cause at this point.Saw Ameen Tanksley wondering the same thing on Twitter and Andre Walker just posted a picture on Instagram captioned "Mood" with a picture of the joker locked behind bars.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

I can't believe what I just saw! I know this had been a very frustrating season, but a win like this sure makes you feel good ... even for a day.

Great crowd tonight. Sure a lot if it had to do with the giveaway and the event of the night, but it was great to see a lot of people at the game and see them into it. I sit in the front row too and sort of lost it down the stretch, but it was great to look behind me for once and see others standing and applauding too. It was as exciting a finish you will see so, who knows, maybe some will come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Awesome picture of the student section when the final buzzer rang, courtesy of the CAA twitter account

https://mobile.twitter.com/CAABasketbal ... 6220962816
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Dooku25 wrote: Although you can't say the atmosphere helped the team in the first 59 minutes of the game.
You mean the last 39 minutes.

Hofstra made 7 out of their first 25 three-pointers and then 7 of their last 12 to finish 14-for-37 (.378), which raises our season average from .363 to .364. It was Hofstra's most three-pointers attempted since they 38 on February 7, 2016 at James Madison and Hofstra's most three-pointers made since they made 15 hosting William & Mary on January 24, 2016.

Wright-Foreman and Powers tied for Hofstra's lead with 20 points. Wright-Foreman tied his career-high with 4 assists. Powers led all players with 6 assists and was tied with Kurk Lee for the most steals with 3. Hofstra had only 4 steals.

Last season 34.051 percent of our opponents' field goal attempts were three-pointers. This season 34.051 percent of our opponents' field goal attempts were three-pointers. This season's value is a tiny bit lower but is the same as last season's value when rounded to the decimal places I gave.

Hofstra had 26 rebounds, which is their fewest rebounds in a win since they had 19 rebounds in a 66-65 win hosting Stony Brook on November 21, 2014. I got home in time to see Hofstra's winning shot.

Hofstra had 14 fouls and 9 turnovers tonight. They had 11 fouls and 8 turnovers against Delaware two days ago. In the 29 games before two days ago, they didn't have any games with 14 or fewer fouls and 9 or fewer turnovers.

Brian Dawkins, who scored half of Elon's 58 points, and Rodney Williams, who led all scorers in Hofstra's game with 26 points, were the two highest scorers in the CAA today, but both of their teams lost.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://gohofstra.com/news/2017/2/4/mens ... inute.aspx is Hofstra's recap titled "MBB: Comeback Kids! Hofstra Rallies Past Drexel In Final Minute."

http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=7587 is the box score. The attendance was a season-high 2,819.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400919611 is the Associated Press recap titled "Hofstra goes on 12-0 run in final minute to get past Drexel."

http://drexeldragons.com/news/2017/2/4/ ... 79-77.aspx is Drexel's recap titled "DRAGONS DROP HEARTBREAKER AT HOFSTRA, 79-77."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OpMVosiFfg is highlights made by Hofstra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csoE9gsXTqY is highlights made by the CAA.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

The team did hussle this game so I appreciate the win. Sabety worked extremely hard the entire game and played awesome defense so that last BS foul which was clearly a block was pretty painful. I too feel bad for Andre. Not sure what the deal is with that but what the coach is doing isn't right.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

100% agree.
Mike34 wrote:. Not sure what the deal is with that but what the coach is doing isn't right.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I guess it was...and if you were there you would have known that it was a totally BS call
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jordan wrote:
He's not going anywhere...if he wanted to play he would have left two years ago...and then again, based on what he has demonstrated on the court no one would take him
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID80 wrote:
I guess it was...and if you were there you would have known that it was a totally BS call
Terrible string of three calls in a row.