Hofstra and the CAA

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Hofstra and the CAA

Post by stuball888 »

Hofstra has put out a statement reguarding the CAA and North Carolina State law HB2. While Hofstra has voted against playing in North carolina except for CAA championships and conference games. They will not schedule any OOC activities in that State. NY State I believe is forbidding State schools to play in North carolina. problem here is most of the CAA schools dont have a problem with HB2. Do any of you see this as a problem down the road.
Polito

Re: Hofstra and the CAA

Post by Polito »

I think this whole thing is ridiculous and blown way out of proportion.

As if HU scheduling needed any other challenges to overcome... :roll: :roll: :roll:
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We'll just need to put Kentucky back on the schedule!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I applaud Hofstra for taking a stance, albeit somewhat half-hearted.

Interestingly, read this:
http://www.elonnewsnetwork.com/article/ ... y-new-york

Separately, Virginia proposed similar legislation, but it was killed in committee. This would have put even more pressure on Hofstra, were it to ever pass. I could see this being the impetus leading to Hofstra's exit from the CAA. However, I get the feeling that many of our fellow CAA institutions share Hofstra's public sentiments, even if they are in the minority in their home state.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The majority of CAA schools voted in favor of HB2. I wonder what the vote count was. Does anyone have info on what the vote tally was and which schools voted for or against HB2.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

That's a little misleading- the CAA (but not Hofstra) voted to keep two championships located in the state of NC. i wouldn't call that a vote in favor of HB2, although implicitly it sure seems that way. I have a feeling this doesn't end here.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I have mixed feelings since on one hand glad to see Hofstra make a statement against a ridiculous law but on other hand hate idea of our student-athletes not getting a chance to play certain big games in NC such as men's lacrosse with UNC or men's basketball a few years ago when they got to play at NC State. The tone of statement certainly suggests some animosity with CAA, but with no other good options out there I don't see us leaving anytime soon.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

In the article it said the conference voted to keep the tournaments in North Carolina. Hofstra voted against it. It past to keep the tournaments in NC so either a majority or as much as 70 percent so my question is who voted for what if Hofstra was the only one or maybe one of three schools to vote no. This could be trouble for us in thefuture
Wags

Post by Wags »

If even the NBA can take a stance on this by pulling its All-Star game from Charlotte and moving it to New Orleans this year, I don't see any problem with Hofstra doing the same, and I applaud the school for being socially aware enough to do its part. This is something that goes beyond college athletics, and I'm proud of my school for joining the NBA on this.

And while I'm proud of Hofstra, I'm disappointed in the other CAA schools for not making the statement made by Hofstra and the ACC (which is obviously a much higher profile conference with some legendary programs in the heart of North Carolina, yet pulled its tourneys out of NC).

The NBA and ACC, with their far greater statuses and histories can make this statement, but the CAA can't? Sorry, but that's just ridiculous.

I guess even 1 1/2 centuries after the Civil War, the South STILL hasn't quite caught up to the North yet in terms of progress. Sad.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Cmon guys, this is a sports board. Lets post the political stuff somewhere else.
Polito

Post by Polito »

sorry folks but this whole thing is ridiculous - not a fan of sports mixing themselves in with politics, although I certainly appreciate the issue and the sensitivities around it.

But c'mon guys, the conference has teams IN North Carolina!!! LOL I mean what the hell are we talking about here, games MUST be played there - the schools aren't moving to another state :? :roll: :lol:

So now HU won't play any games or against teams from NC? Oh, but there's of course an exception for conf members - then it ISNT a stand!! This is so silly. Play the games for goodness sake.

The ACC was ridiculous to move the football champ game for this nonsense too. And it was the FANS who lost out, most of whom had no clue what the hell this ridiculous thing was all about - so VT and Clemson played in front of a half full stadium and burned all their local fans who would've SOLD OUT in Charlotte.

So now what, what about all the student-athletes FROM NC, in several sports that HU recruits. Should HU not take athletes or students from there? Should those athletes not attend because now they know they'll never get to play any home state teams where their friends and fam can come support, so HU loses out on potential recruits?? Because that is exactly what could happen to HU for blackballing an entire STATE. A STATE!! That is ASININE to me. It's not like everyone in NC agrees with it, it's a POLITICAL agenda, and those always stink to high heaven. This whole thing is nuts IMO.

Sorry, I don't agree at all. I don't agree with the law either, but sports should have nothing to do with it. Let these bozo politicians figure it out, and let's keep our sports the way they should be.

Because this is just half assed. Force every university out of NC if you want to make a statement. Ridiculous right? Exactly.

NOW:

The ONLY benefit I could see from all this is this turns out to be exactly what is needed to finally either break up the CAA for good, or to help HU get the hell out.

A whole nother list of challenges with that, but at least that would be a potential benefit. 8-)
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It's impossible to punish the North Carolina legislature without punishing people in the state who support transgender rights. Imagine if you're a transgender person who owns a hotel in North Carolina. You get your rights restricted by your state's law and your tourism hurt by other people's problem with your state's law when you agree with those other people. Religion is very important to some people. There are people who believe being gay is a sin, and no boycott or court decision in favor of gay rights will convince those people that being gay isn't a sin.

My favorite college football team, Florida State, is in the ACC, but I think the ACC makes plenty of TV money even if the conference championship game is at a half full stadium.

Even if Hofstra disagrees with other CAA teams politically, I don't think there's a good other conference to go to. The only option without being geographically out of place like New Jersey Institute of Technology in the Atlantic Sun or moving to a much worse conference is the Metro Atlantic Athletic (MAAC), and since most of those schools are Christian I think those schools are more likely to be anti-transgender and support the North Carolina law.

I understand your point about Hofstra boycotting out of conference games in North Carolina hurting recruiting there, but how much recruiting does Hofstra do in North Carolina? Can you name an athlete from North Carolina in any sport season in the last ten years who was among the top five players on Hofstra that season?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

EvanJ wrote:Can you name an athlete from North Carolina in any sport season in the last ten years who was among the top five players on Hofstra that season?
Morgan Lashley, softball alum who graduated in 2015. Granted, she only played her junior and senior years at Hofstra, so she wasn't recruited to Hofstra out of high school.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Cards wrote:Cmon guys, this is a sports board. Lets post the political stuff somewhere else.
This is a sports topic because of Hofstra's athletics' role in it.
As to Polito's point about this leading to a CAA exit, I don't see it only because there are no good options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Senior ssm Tom Voelkel, one of the 2017 Men's Lacrosse captains, went to high school in Chapel Hill NC.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Couple of follow up notes here, and then I'm done as I don't want this to get to politically or religiously charged:

- As someone who works hard at this, the truth of faith is that we are called to love and serve ALL, regardless of whether we personally believe in someones lifestyle choice. We can disagree with someones actions, behaviors, or decisions, and still show love care and respect for them as fellow brothers and sisters. That is not religion...that is FAITH. And there is a BIG difference ($ vs principle).

So let's be careful not to lump a particular faith into a category that says they are all are anti-so and so. We know that is typically not the case.

- Regarding the ACC football champ, as I said, this hurts the FANS the most. I know the ACC still made money on the game, it isn't about that. This was a horrible LAST MINUTE move for the FANS. And it screwed many.

It isnt just about NC recruits - it's about players and teams from there, and students from there. So HU is never going to play against any of the sports teams in the entire state? Because of a political state law that has very little to do with them?

Again, who exactly does that punish? Does anyone really think that punishes the STATE?? It hurts the people, the schools, the communities, the players, the fans.

- To confirm, I am NOT for that law. But I am also not for overreacting to try and prove some self-righteous point. HU made their bed by being in the CAA, a southern based conf who has teams IN NC. I think there are probably other ways to show your stance.

Reverse the scenario and tell me how ridiculous it would be to hear of our OWN conf members banning NY because of a state law HU had nothing to do with. Just silly. And HU would suffer for it.

- Agree 100% there isn't anywhere amazing for HU to go, was just saying it could be a nice exit strategy for HU should they happen to find said right fit! 8-)

ROLLPRIDE
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... s-lgbt-law says California and Kansas ended talks to play each other in Men's Basketball because California law prohibits state schools from playing at states that discriminate against LGBT people. State schools in California also cannot play in North Carolina, Mississippi, or Tennessee.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

As I understand the ruling, HU will not be scheduling any future games in the State of North Carolina. HU can still play North Carolina public or private colleges in Hempstead, or at a neutral non North Carolina location. Any contracts agreed to before the ruling will be honored, such as the HU men's lacrosse game at UNC on March 11th. The CAA conference games versus Elon and UNCW will also have to be honored. I am not sure what the HU decision would be if there were post season NCAA or NIT type games in the various sports. Remember, this was a ruling for NY State public colleges and would effect Binghamton, Buffalo, Stony Brook, and Albany. HU went along with this decision.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wow, this is unfortunate, really a shame. I was not aware of either guys, thanks.

This is really dividing the nation in this particular arena, so I will continue to pray for peace, understanding, and better decisions from all involved. The ones who hurt the most are the players and fans.

Looks like this is growing in impact, and that means it will start to dig into $ on a scale that can't be ignored soon. Right now this is sadly just the individual institutions being affected, but if the NCAA itself starts losing big money I can see some changes being made.

Politics... the epitome of can't live with it, can't live without it :roll: