its official

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Flying Dutchmen

Re: its official

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

HUSID80 wrote:Polito we did not win the CAA last year because we finally ran out of gas against UNCW in the finals because we had a depleted roster...three reserves if I remember correctly...
We never have a bench. Joe never utilizes a bench anyway, look at his history in Niagara. It makes no sense considering our offense thrives in an uptempo game that is predicated on taking the open shot as soon as you get it.

Why the hell can't this staff recruit to the full scholarship allotment? It's been four fucking years already. With the weak talent that makes up the bottom of our roster, I don't buy the idea anymore that our coaching staff has been particularly selective, it's a load of BS that we were stupid enough to believe. We just lose recruiting battle after recruiting battle, mostly to peer institutions, not upper-level A-10 schools like it is popularly portrayed on the boards.

We don't play defense, 326th defensive efficiency in D-1 coming into today. It's been the same story for four years with Joe at the helm. We had a decent defensive stretch in conference play last year, but we were average at best, our offensive efficiency carried us to the title game. We emphasize staying out of foul trouble over getting in a defenders face, it doesn't work.

Listen, I like the coaching staff, we were very lucky to get Joe after the Mo debacle, but the bottom line is the program could not build up any momentum after last years run, which was really one of the best in school history if we're going to be honest. All the warts are showing this season, we have no size, or depth, and we can't play defense. We're getting embarrassed in CAA play. Next year doesn't look too much brighter right now, we don't have a big infusion of talent coming in.

You just can't win the CAA with our current model. Some part of the program's philosophy has to be altered for us to get to the next level.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:Polito we did not win the CAA last year because we finally ran out of gas against UNCW in the finals because we had a depleted roster...three reserves if I remember correctly...
We never have a bench. Joe never utilizes a bench anyway, look at his history in Niagara. It makes no sense considering our offense thrives in an uptempo game that is predicated on taking the open shot as soon as you get it.

Why the hell can't this staff recruit to the full scholarship allotment? It's been four fucking years already. With the weak talent that makes up the bottom of our roster, I don't buy the idea anymore that our coaching staff has been particularly selective, it's a load of BS that we were stupid enough to believe. We just lose recruiting battle after recruiting battle, mostly to peer institutions, not upper-level A-10 schools like it is popularly portrayed on the boards.

We don't play defense, 326th defensive efficiency in D-1 coming into today. It's been the same story for four years with Joe at the helm. We had a decent defensive stretch in conference play last year, but we were average at best, our offensive efficiency carried us to the title game. We emphasize staying out of foul trouble over getting in a defenders face, it doesn't work.

Listen, I like the coaching staff, we were very lucky to get Joe after the Mo debacle, but the bottom line is the program could not build up any momentum after last years run, which was really one of the best in school history if we're going to be honest. All the warts are showing this season, we have no size, or depth, and we can't play defense. We're getting embarrassed in CAA play. Next year doesn't look too much brighter right now, we don't have a big infusion of talent coming in.

You just can't win the CAA with our current model. Some part of the program's philosophy has to be altered for us to get to the next level.
Wow! This is what you say when you LIKE Someone?
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Why do you care about scholarships for practice players ???? Give that bench stuff a rest already.

Look at winning programs and the minutes of the top 7 guys. They often account for over 95% of the minutes available. Sp, just stop that stuff about a "full" bench. It means nothing.

Also, it is unfair to dismiss that we DID HAVE the two JG years. 44 wins in 2 years !!!! 2 postseason tournaments !!!!!!

We are poised for great things.......maybe not this year......BUT MAYBE SO........a couple of things have not gone our way, but that is not to say they won't.

3.75 years and almost 70 wins..........STOP with the bashing......(and the language as well !!!!! Show some class).
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

dutchiedoright wrote:Why do you care about scholarships for practice players ???? Give that bench stuff a rest already.

Look at winning programs and the minutes of the top 7 guys. They often account for over 95% of the minutes available. Sp, just stop that stuff about a "full" bench. It means nothing.

Also, it is unfair to dismiss that we DID HAVE the two JG years. 44 wins in 2 years !!!! 2 postseason tournaments !!!!!!

We are poised for great things.......maybe not this year......BUT MAYBE SO........a couple of things have not gone our way, but that is not to say they won't.

3.75 years and almost 70 wins..........STOP with the bashing......(and the language as well !!!!! Show some class).
AMEN BROTHER!
Polito

Post by Polito »

FD, you are def coming in hot here - although your post is very rough around the edges, I think you make a lot of fair points.

No secret I am a fan of this staff, BUT I am also not blind in that regard. My patience is running short on JM's ability to lead this program to the NCAAT. If he can't get the job done next year with an upper classmen lead team with REAL talent, then he should feel major heat and hear LOUD chatter.

I don't care what anyone wants to blame it on, but there was NO excuse whatsover for HU not to dance in Green's Sr yr. IMO it was unacceptable and inexcusable. It was a failure, end of story. And I think the staff understands and agrees.

I feel similarly about next year. Not sure they are a clear leader per say, but they absolutely should be top third on paper with what they have/return/gain and other top teams lose. NIT or NCAAT is a very fair expectation.

HU cannot continue to squander top POY/All-Conf type talent without getting to the NCAAT without being seriously questioned. Next year is year 5, and JM is on the clock IMO. He loves to build up his guys, which I get and agree with, but that means you best do something with them. Otherwise you just look silly - what will he accomplish with his 'strongest man alive'?? Next year is it for one of the best rebounders in the nation and in HU history. If you have strong talent, but still can't get the job done, well... we can all finish the rest.

That said, because you came so strong in your comments, I have no choice but to smack you right back down to earth on this comment:
"...I don't buy the idea anymore that our coaching staff has been particularly selective, it's a load of BS that we were stupid enough to believe. We just lose recruiting battle after recruiting battle, mostly to peer institutions, not upper-level A-10 schools like it is popularly portrayed on the boards."
For all your solid points you lost it right there my friend, completely. That is one of the most ridiculous and inaccurate comments on this board all season. You clearly:

1) Don't know jack squat about recruiting.
2) Don't know jack squat about talent evaluation.
3) Have not seriously followed HU, the CAA, or the collegiate game for any real perspective-building length of time. Or you simply paid little to no real attention.

Throw haymakers at the lack of D over the last 4 years all you like - I'm with it. But the above is just straight bone-headed.
Cards

Post by Cards »

It's official - JWF named CAA player of the week for the second time this year. Congratulations Justin! :D :D

I am so looking forward to watching JWF for the next few years. Very optimistic about this young man.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Congratulations to Justin! He is rapidly becoming a STAR in this LEAGUE as a SOPHOMORE! Speaks to the talent this coaching staff is recruiting...We just need MORE of them!
Flying Dutchmen

dutchiedoright wrote:Why do you care about scholarships for practice players ???? Give that bench stuff a rest already.

First off, I did not dismiss our last two seasons with Green, I said we did not build any momentum off of those seasons from a program standpoint, do you really want to debate that after this season? I really like Jalen Ray coming in next year, but we're going to need a few more guys to get out of the Friday game in the CAAT.

I care about reaching the full allotment of scholarships because, while I completely agree with you that the top 7 players on a roster take up the majority of the playing time, we only had 6 guys in the rotation by the CAA Championship last season! Every year we have no bench due to either guys not reaching expectations, or injuries, usually a combination of both. This has gone on for 15 seasons! Two more scholarships just means you have two more cards to play, take some risks on dark horse players, maybe we could get some better role players out of it, maybe find a legit CAA-level starter.

Why shoot ourselves in the foot even worse by not having the full allotment of scholarships. The talent at the bottom of our roster stinks! I know that clearly offends some people here, but come on, playing Bernardi, Greer, and Robinson the minutes we have, killed us this year if we're being honest.

Sorry for the frustration, but nothing ever changes, the program has the same issues in 2017 that it had in 2003. JWF is destined to be just like Apodaca, Stokes, Jenkins, and Green, we should get close, but I don't know if we're going to get enough talent around him to push us over the top.
Flying Dutchmen

Polito wrote:For all your solid points you lost it right there my friend, completely. That is one of the most ridiculous and inaccurate comments on this board all season. You clearly:

1) Don't know jack squat about recruiting.
2) Don't know jack squat about talent evaluation.
3) Have not seriously followed HU, the CAA, or the collegiate game for any real perspective-building length of time. Or you simply paid little to no real attention.

Throw haymakers at the lack of D over the last 4 years all you like - I'm with it. But the above is just straight bone-headed.
Brother. :roll: Do you honestly believe you're the recruiting czar? C'mon man. According to your "talent evaluation" acumen, half our team would be going to the NBA right now. You actually said you thought Bernardi had a shot to make the NBA last season, look it up. The comment was so stupid it was burned in my mind. I'll leave it at that.

We all drink the kool-aid on these recruits, because we want to, it's fun to believe that the next Speedy or Jenkins is coming into the program. The problem is we are always short on guys, for every JWF or Jenkins, we get a Tony Dennison and Walker. If we're going to be honest, this staff recruits about at the same level as Pecora. Can't forget that Pecora was able to out recruit DePaul for Kenny Adeleke, St. John's for Jenkins.

We lose lots of recruiting battles to Iona and Manhattan, we lose more recruits to the MAAC than the A-10. Hofstra always offers to high-major players early in the recruiting cycle, but obviously that doesn't mean we were ever in the running for those players.

Right now we have four solid players on this team, JWF, Pemba, Powers, and Rok when healthy. Even Rok is very limited offensively. I love Sabety's energy, but hes very limited offensively as well. Hopefully Buie gets back healthy, and Trueheart can play, but we still need two or three guys in this recruiting cycle to get us over the top, Can't we develop one guy like Seibring or Dawkins at Elon?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Let's pause:

FD, are you coming through to the events tomorrow?
Polito

Post by Polito »

FD, where are ya, are you coming through for tonight's special events and game??

(I don't know where you're located)
Flying Dutchmen

I can't make it to tonight or Saturday's games, I'm leaving town shortly for a wedding, good luck with the event today!!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Good luck. Just be there for the 28th
Polito

Post by Polito »

FD:

I have agreed with 75% of your points. Take a pause and you'll see that.

Never said BB would make the NBA. Said IF he kept shooting lights out and added the ability to create his own shot, he would have a shot at camps. And IF he had done that, he would have. He has not, so he will not. He will however, still have a shot in Euro.

I have been as hard on BB and developing a deeper skill set as anyone on this board. You can look that up.

Have ALWAYS said Pecora and his staff could recruit (you can look that up too). They could, especially guards. And I distinctly remember defending them in that regard for years as well. They did land Jenkins over Norm Roberts and St Johns, but let's not be deceived (you're big on that right?): SJU wanted him to prep first, with no guarantee they'd still be interested. The facts are that outside of that low-medium SJU interest, Jenkins was a lightly recruited 2 star guy from a non-power program. More kudos to TP for that eval.

But every staff has weaknesses, just as this one does with depth. TP's rosters were constantly short quality bigs. Constantly. You can name 1 or 2 studs in a decade. This staff recruited 2 3 stars in the same class. That has to be respected. Walker has not panned out, but that's how it goes. So then they went and snagged a guy from D3 who many questioned could transition to D1, and has literally been a near Rok clone. That has to be respected.

This current staff has also gone out and landed guys that previous staff failed to get: BB and Nichols for example. That has to be respected.

I have never claimed to be a guru. Just a recruitnik, among other experience and connections :D . And I have developed some insight that quite frankly has shown to be more right than wrong. Just to help you understand why that comment was so off base, here's a brief look:

- Buie chose HU directly over Manhattan, with offers from Seton Hall, URI, Iona, and others.
- Pemba chose HU directly over St Bon and Northeastern, AFTER de-committing from W&M.
- Gustys chose HU directly over UAB, URI, Tulane, and others.
- Koon was contacted by Stanford, URI, and others before choosing HU for his final yr after Princeton.
- Nichols RE-SELECTED HU from Juco over Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Fordham and TCU.
- JWF chose HU over Manhattan, Iona, Kent State, and others.
- BB as we know came to HU after SMU, who he originally chose over the good guys who were finalists the first time

I could go on, even with guys like Walker who didn't really pan out, but I think you get the drift here. Just those examples alone show solid locals, CAA opponents, strong mids, and decent bigs that this staff has overcome for talent. This staff has yet to sign a single player who has not been rated a 3 star by at least one reputable service. Not one. Again, that has to be respected.

I think we are on the same general page on most items - we disagree on this staffs ability to recruit and evaluate talent. In my estimation of the difference between the two of us, with all due respect, I am quite good with that.

Hope we get to meet and banter in person one day FD - interacting with fellow true blue fans is one of the things I enjoy the most, and has been a great part about our group. Take part next time you can. In the meantime, certainly don't let me get in your way my friend, do carry on!
Flying Dutchmen

First off I was at the first two Dutch Nation meetings, so we've spoken multiple times.

Yes, we won some recruiting battles, but our success has been totally backed by Grad Transfers and Niagara, now that they're gone, we're 5-11 and coach only trusts 6 guys on the roster. Isn't it obvious Robinson, Greer, and Bernardi are huge liabilities, and Rok and Sabety are extremely limited offensively? Powers only had one year of impact for us. Obviously the whole team is a defensive liability as well. The Buie injury hurt us, but we weren't exactly tearing it up with him and Powers splitting time, would his presence have altered our record more than one or two games this year? If you think not, then we never had the talent on the roster to finish top-6 this year. We don't have enough players.

Who honestly cares how many stars a recruit has, due to social media there is so much more exposure for recruits now than 10 years ago. Databases of players, and the offers they receive are so much larger. We're recruiting the same talent level now as we did under Pecora. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as I think TP did a good job, but it's pretty obvious Mihalich hasn't brought a new level of player to Hofstra. I don't think I'm saying anything crazy, it's very apparent on the court.

No doubt I'm coming off as a hater, but I absolutely love the program and will support it to the bitter end. I'm just trying to give an honest assessment of the program year 4 into the Mihalich era. I'm usually positive about the state of the program, but this season has been a complete bummer! It's not all roses, we're stuck in neutral as a program.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

In regards to recruits, I tend to agree with FD here. We can talk about recruiting everyone we want, but the people that actually sign on the dotted line have been extremely consistent throughout the years. We've had way to many Dennison, Vines, Imes, Robinsons, Washingtons, Payen, Nwaokoni, Allen. The Tanks/Green/Jenkins/Stokes/Rivera/Jenkins are way to far in between.

Joe needs to recruit the talent like he once did at Niagara. We bring in the same players time after time. Our MO never changes as a team. We lack the clutch gene. All it takes is 1 recruit to be honest, but the diehards on the boards have been waiting for that 1 for a LONGGGG time now. We've all had our favorite teams from the years, but we lack success. Joe needs to recruit better players, flat out. I think JWF has a lot of potential, but he can't do it himself, and it shows. Rok has regressed mightily this year, and that comes with the lack of talent around him I would assume, but wow.

Did I like Pecora? Not really to be honest, but looking back, I respect the talent pool he brought in. We have not had the players he had since he left.

I have hope for JWF, and Eli, but they need help. We can't put 6-7 people on the court and expect to win, it just doesn't happen. We need depth. We are a game tape nightmare for teams when they see Rok and Hunter can't stay on the floor.

I hope we get these players ASAP. This season flat out SUCKS
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

Eli hasn't shown his true Athleticism yet.

Just look at some of his HS Videos.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:First off I was at the first two Dutch Nation meetings, so we've spoken multiple times.

Yes, we won some recruiting battles, but our success has been totally backed by Grad Transfers and Niagara, now that they're gone, we're 5-11 and coach only trusts 6 guys on the roster. Isn't it obvious Robinson, Greer, and Bernardi are huge liabilities, and Rok and Sabety are extremely limited offensively? Powers only had one year of impact for us. Obviously the whole team is a defensive liability as well. The Buie injury hurt us, but we weren't exactly tearing it up with him and Powers splitting time, would his presence have altered our record more than one or two games this year? If you think not, then we never had the talent on the roster to finish top-6 this year. We don't have enough players.

Who honestly cares how many stars a recruit has, due to social media there is so much more exposure for recruits now than 10 years ago. Databases of players, and the offers they receive are so much larger. We're recruiting the same talent level now as we did under Pecora. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as I think TP did a good job, but it's pretty obvious Mihalich hasn't brought a new level of player to Hofstra. I don't think I'm saying anything crazy, it's very apparent on the court.

No doubt I'm coming off as a hater, but I absolutely love the program and will support it to the bitter end. I'm just trying to give an honest assessment of the program year 4 into the Mihalich era. I'm usually positive about the state of the program, but this season has been a complete bummer! It's not all roses,

fully agree

we're stuck in neutral as a program.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Shocker :P :lol:

Ah, my apologies FD, have met a number of people of the last few months and it's difficult to recall and match all the names (real and forum) and the faces. I'm sure I would recognize you if I saw you though.

Glad to hear you were at the first 2; although those were last year - have you been around since? Will you be attending the one on Tuesday the 28th?

I'm not interested in dragging this thread out as you clearly have a bone to pick with me because I disagreed with you. Remember, same side FD! I still disagree with your previous statement, but we all want the same things.

Maybe one day I'll learn that your opinion is the one true honest one :lol: Don't make me ask, "you mad, bro??" :P :P

Seriously though, do come on down again to the next event and we can banter and solve all of HU's hoops problems in person. 8-)

Look, I agree 100% the recruiting can and should still improve. You guys are misunderstanding (another shocker). I think TP was a great recruiter as well, and defended him in that regard many years around here. I'm not sure which staff is better yet, can't compare 10 years to 4. But I do think JM and Co. are doing extremely well in their recruiting and talent evaluation - they just need to do MORE. If you want to be HONEST then you probably need to be honest about what talent level is realistic here until this program can make national noise and attract those next level guys. That is much easier said and demanded than done when this program is in a 15 yr NCAAT dry spell.

So far I see 2 staffs who have made the NIT, and only 1 who actually won the CAA regular season. That doesn't make JM and his crew great by any stretch - I have maintained a vocal adament stance that last year was still a failure because the dance was not achieved.

This staff hasn't gotten the job done either, and there is no question that recruiting will play a HUGE factor in that. And therefore, it needs to continue to get even better.

No recruiting rankings don't tell the whole story. But they are one measurement. They do mean something. You cannot discount that completely. I am more inclined to pay attention to the other offers and who else is really going after the player - THAT means a LOT. And as I've pointed out, you are incorrect, this HU staff has in fact beat out many quality programs for players.

Do they need more?? HELL YES. Do they need to fill out a quality roster?? HELL YES. Do they need better talent at the bottom?? HELL YES. Do they need players who can actually defend and hit FT's?? HELL YES.

This team is a true creative point and stud stretch 4 away from winning a lot of games.

See, I told ya, we ARE on the same page! :D

ROLLPRIDE
Flying Dutchmen

So cringeworthy. Jesus. What is wrong with you?

You're the one who started the personal attacks for no reason. I don't know why you took my initial statements personally, that's your problem. I simply stated we (the board, myself included) drink the kool-aid on recruiting. The fact you had some strangely guilty conscience and decided to insult my intelligence for no reason after that, was a pathetic act. I decided to defend myself and my statement. What's your bone to pick with me? That I called you out for your BS comment?

I'm not misunderstanding shit, I get your point, and disagree with it. I've been following the program for nearly 20 years, the recruiting simply has not improved since 2001. Remarkably, the level of recruit has been about the same, whether we're beating La. Tech or St Francis for players.

You seem to consider that a win because of the length of the NCAA drought, and perhaps some internal restrictions we have on recruits to reach a minimum academic level. While I understand the limitations, and respect the academic demands of our program, I cannot accept that, because the implication, while intended or not, is that we will never be good enough to get over the hump and back into the Dance. My no means am I saying Joe is an inept recruiter, I just don't think there is anything transformative going on. Hopefully, this is the year that changes my belief.

I respect the optimism, which I normally share, but I think there are some fundamental problems with the roster that need to be addressed to get us over the top in the CAA, even with the emergence of JWF, and Pemba looking as good as advertised.