its official

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

its official

Post by stuball888 »

Hofstras mens and womens teams are now in last place in the CAA. How did this happen?
DCDUTCH

Re: its official

Post by DCDUTCH »

It all starts from the top.

Sad day...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

And ends when you have seven scholarship players available and one can't play a lick. Stop with the coaches already...
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

The coaches recruit the players.
garyg

Post by garyg »

The coaches not only recruit players but they run the entire show...accountability goes with title of coach
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I'm heading out to Hofstra now hopefully some coaches are at the women's game. Just looked up the score. We trail Elon 29-11 at the half. We are shooting 3-30 from the field. 10 % from the field. We were actually 1-26 at one point. Ouch!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yup all of the sudden Krista, Joe and their staffs are lousy coaches. I prefer to look at their overall bodies of work, which are pretty damned impressive.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Looking at the overall performance is a must, and the only right fair way to assess. This season is a disaster, no question. It happens. That doesn't mean either have forgotten how to coach.

BUT what it does show is the same glaring weaknesses are still as big as ever, and the fact there has been no improvement is a fair concern.

HUSID, the men's staff has not proven they can win in the CAA without a pro-level PG. Last season was NCAAT or bust. They did not succeed. And that was HU's best shot at the dance in 15 YEARS. And there was no VCU, ODU, and MASON to worry about. It was close, we know, but close doesn't count. There is NO excuse for not dancing last season. The goal was not met, period.

NIT is certainly a good positive step, but I wouldn't call that 'damn impressive'. If they couldn't get a Green led team to at least the NIT they should've been fired.

Doesn't mean life is over or the world is ending, but this is D1 and a paid staff, so let's not sugarcoat.

They have done a horrific job with this roster and game planning this season. There is no excuse for what we are seeing - they are unprepared for the season, not a team, and do not have any answers as to how to best use what they have. And this team HAS talent.

I would bet good $ if you give Keatts this team he finishes top half of the conf and battles for a 2 seed at a minimum. Same for Cohen. What is HU's staffs excuse?

The games are close. The talent is there. The wins are not. Replacing points was the biggest concern (talent related)... they've done that, it's not the problem, because the talent is there. So that means it's at some point the coaching has to come into question.

And we are seeing baffling coaching decisions...or lack thereof (zone vs man, putting BB above the program, etc.). And they have developed a reputation among other conference members as being a poorly coached team. This cannot be ignored or brushed under the carpet. It is not ok. This staff deserves every bit of questioning they are receiving.
garyg

Post by garyg »

AMEN...during Green's two seasons the program definitely under achieved from an overall perspective...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

This is not bashing anyone so please don't take it the wrong way. VCU had CAA player of the year in EricMaynor and won the CAA. Delaware had player of the year in Sadler and won the CAA. We had CAA players of the year in Jenkins and Green and did not win. Evan you are the master statistician can you go back to 2005 and list the POY and his team and the winner of the CAA each year till present
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Looking at the overall performance is a must, and the only right fair way to assess. This season is a disaster, no question. It happens. That doesn't mean either have forgotten how to coach.

BUT what it does show is the same glaring weaknesses are still as big as ever, and the fact there has been no improvement is a fair concern.

HUSID, the men's staff has not proven they can win in the CAA without a pro-level PG. Last season was NCAAT or bust. They did not succeed. And that was HU's best shot at the dance in 15 YEARS. And there was no VCU, ODU, and MASON to worry about. It was close, we know, but close doesn't count. There is NO excuse for not dancing last season. The goal was not met, period.

NIT is certainly a good positive step, but I wouldn't call that 'damn impressive'. If they couldn't get a Green led team to at least the NIT they should've been fired.

Doesn't mean life is over or the world is ending, but this is D1 and a paid staff, so let's not sugarcoat.

They have done a horrific job with this roster and game planning this season. There is no excuse for what we are seeing - they are unprepared for the season, not a team, and do not have any answers as to how to best use what they have. And this team HAS talent.

I would bet good $ if you give Keatts this team he finishes top half of the conf and battles for a 2 seed at a minimum. Same for Cohen. What is HU's staffs excuse?

The games are close. The talent is there. The wins are not. Replacing points was the biggest concern (talent related)... they've done that, it's not the problem, because the talent is there. So that means it's at some point the coaching has to come into question.

And we are seeing baffling coaching decisions...or lack thereof (zone vs man, putting BB above the program, etc.). And they have developed a reputation among other conference members as being a poorly coached team. This cannot be ignored or brushed under the carpet. It is not ok. This staff deserves every bit of questioning they are receiving.

Polito we did not win the CAA last year because we finally ran out of gas against UNCW in the finals because we had a depleted roster...three reserves if I remember correctly and Green picked the most important game of his life to play a clunker...and still we had the ball with a chance to win on the last possession.

This year we were picked sixth in the league, I think WE over rated our talent and what the team would be like without Green, Tanksley, and Koon, three great a VERY mature leaders as well as players. We all knew the PG spot would be a key and the we lost Buie...a critical loss in my opinion...limiting us in many ways...and yet we still beat Coen, who we all acknowledge is one of the best coaches in the CAA.

Now we are down arguably three of five projected starters, no coach, not even Jay Wright himself could sustain those losses and win.

Serious reality check needed here!
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

stuball888 wrote:Hofstras mens and womens teams are now in last place in the CAA. How did this happen?
Agree with Polito totally. The coaches recruit the players then it is up to the staff to nurture the players. Is it all the players' fault? No. It is all the coaches' fault? No. It is a combination.

2001 was the last time Hofstra went to the NCAA. 2006 was the best year since then. Unfortunately, Hofstra does not belong in the CAA anymore. Hofstra in the CAA made sense with football.
I am not going to get into a football post. Hofstra was always a football school whether in Division 1AA, II or III. Basketball was always second. That is the truth if you look at Hofstra's history.
President Shuart positioned Hofstra in 2001 for the CAA with football as the anchor. Football got Hofstra into the CAA not basketball remember that. Hofstra was succeeding in basketball yes in the America East but it was Hofstra's strength in football Division III and Division 1AA that made Hofstra very attractive to the CAA.

President Rabinowitz does not value athletics at all. The administration would rather hit up donors for $10m to pay for the application fees for the presidential debates. I am not criticizing that at all. But does anyone think Hofstra will get a debate in 2020. No. Possibly in 2024 perhaps. It is nice but the debates come and go and are great but the investment in student athletes over the long haul by supporting athletic programs and adding new sports is better for the University.

The coaches and the players are doing their best within the confines of what they are given.
Hofstra has an endowment of almost $500M but relies heavily on tuition to meet its operating expenses.

I am not going to say throwing more money will solve the problem. It will not. I support the team and the coaches but Hofstra basketball needs help. No other conference wants us at the moment. Why would any conference want us - we cannot win in the CAA.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

John with all due respect I too looked at Hofstra thru rose colored glasses a while back. Now I am a bit more realistic. The NCAA allopws 13 schlorship players. This year we had 11 with one being redshirted. Every year we seem to play with a short bench. Coachees have to prepare for this. We got caught shorthanded last year and again this year. Why? this year we graduate 2 players and have only one verbal. Its the year after that scares the bejesus out of me. We graduate 5 players in 2018.That would leave us as of right now with only 5 schlorship players.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Even the one verbal we received Stu is questionable Stu...Ray gave verbal way before early signing period but we never got his signature on the dotted line?? He may be headed to prep school or perhaps he has desire to play at higher level
Polito

Post by Polito »

great point Stu on the POY, and a sad one - HU has failed every one of them. Sorry, but we are not here to sugar coat - will say this until blue in the face, this is D1 and the staff is paid. This program gets fantastic talent for it's level and recent performance. The expectation is simple: Get the job done, and stop making excuses.

The '17 class is very important, although I would say '18 is VITAL to the actual sustainability of this program. They could certainly lighten the pressure by filling some needs in this one.

Time is running short... they need to get on the ball and start landing talent. This season is over in terms of anything meaningful, so it's ALL about the future

(yep, I know it sucks to admit, but let's face it, team is going nowhere this year - we all know the deal with Friday teams in the CAAT - years like this unfortunately happen - you can tell even JM is seeing the reality that year 4 has been a failure, and it hurts bad right after failing to reach the dance in what even he knows was his best shot in who knows how long).

The ONLY priority right now is recruiting. RECRUITING RECRUITING RECRUITING.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Ok so we're out of the cellar...at least the men...onward and upward
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Need to be 8-10 or 9-9 for the number 6 spot
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Realistically it's not going to matter - they will win one game at most in tourney - they just aren't good enough or deep enough - just not enough "answers"
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agree, for this year just finish 6 or higher and stay out of the Friday game - win 1 in the CAAT and that would be a nice turnaround and building block next year.

Things seem to be shaping up at the top as I thought they might, UNCW and CofC. Those are the top 2 teams, and the best odds to win it all. Expected, so no biggie.

JM and Co. need to get themselves and this team figured out, because the pressure is on next year - already blew it with Green, you cannot waste Rokus Gustys too in a program like this and not be questioned on your ability to get the job done, and next season is it.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Wouldn't want to waste Sabety either but we all saw that happen since he wasn't really played until Rok physically couldn't play anymore. Wonder how coach will utilize the two once Rok is back in action.