joeg1

Re: Mens Hoops Coaching Staff - Let's Discuss

Post by joeg1 »

can't wait to see how he spins this stinker in the post game

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Cards

Post by Cards »

Good thing we beat Delaware (by 2 pts at home) otherwise we would be the worst team in the CAA :lol: :lol:
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

At the presser JM looked like someone kicked his dog...no players by his side for this one- he faced the music alone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Time to see if this team has any fight in it or it sinks into the abyss...hopefully we see some big time changes from Joe and crew- no sacred cows here.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Unfortunately I agree 100% with what Joe stated prior to these road games: this was going to show what kind of team this is, and I think we've seen it.

Presser was poor as expected after this debacle. It ain't just toughness Joe, and you know that. It's much worse, and it's coming from BOTH your players and this staff.

Looking at the schedule, and folks, I'm hard pressed to find where the wins are going to come from. UNCW, NE, W&M, JMU, CoC, and now Elon for God's sake are all better teams and better coached this season.

They beat UD by the skin of their teeth, could easily be an L next time. Maybe Drexel?? Towson??

HU is just SO easy to beat right now - it takes almost no game planning - just get the bigs in fouls trouble, and pass the ball until the zone opens a great look. It's so obvious and predictable it's scary.

Seriously, where are the wins?? At this point with their play, I see maybe a handful out of the remaining 13 games, and that's generous.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Polito, what happened to the caching staff you loved? Now that we are losing their flaws are showing. If this keeps up JAM will really be on the hot seat.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This coaching staff has completely turned this program around...they are here to stay as long as they want...Easy to forget the several years preceding JAM's arrival...THE PROGRAM WAS IN SHAMBLES! I guess you forgot that we won more than 20 games the past two years and everyone on this Board was predicting a top four finish this year....everyone except the EXPERTS that is....they said we'd finish sixth, remember???? This is a transition year and even with FOUR losses in a row we ae still at .500...We would have DIED for .500 in the CASSARA years!
So stop all the whining and root for this team to get better as they surely will...and hopefully we can be a factor in the CAA down the road.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID80 wrote:This coaching staff has completely turned this program around...they are here to stay as long as they want...Easy to forget the several years preceding JAM's arrival...THE PROGRAM WAS IN SHAMBLES! I guess you forgot that we won more than 20 games the past two years and everyone on this Board was predicting a top four finish this year....everyone except the EXPERTS that is....they said we'd finish sixth, remember???? This is a transition year and even with FOUR losses in a row we ae still at .500...We would have DIED for .500 in the CASSARA years!
So stop all the whining and root for this team to get better as they surely will...and hopefully we can be a factor in the CAA down the road.

Yeah, except you ignore the fact that JM has done a lousy job in-game coaching....which he conveniently pushes off onto the players as "lack of toughness". It takes more than talent to win, and I believe we have talent. It takes strategy, execution, adjustments, which you can partially blame on players, but I pin most of it on the staff. This team should be producing more.

I guess you have a ceiling on your expectations. Not sucking is good enough? This team should have gone to the NCAAs last year, and should be doing much better this year. This isn't some rec league.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Not what I said....I do expect seasons like last year but it's unrealistic to expect that kind of performance every year. And frankly, who are you to judge in game coaching performance?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

HUSID80 wrote:Not what I said....I do expect seasons like last year but it's unrealistic to expect that kind of performance every year. And frankly, who are you to judge in game coaching performance?
Anyone watching the game can judge in-game coaching. In any sport.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I think our problem is recruiting. We do not have enough quality players. Since JAM arrived, we've had two Niagara transfers, a Niagara recruit, a couple of other other transfers, and several one-and-done players. That's not how you build a program.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I guess Gustys, Foreman, Pemberton, Buie et al don't count. Take a look at Verbal Commits, we have close to the highest if not the highest ranked talent in the League
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID80 wrote:Not what I said....I do expect seasons like last year but it's unrealistic to expect that kind of performance every year. And frankly, who are you to judge in game coaching performance?
I like JM and the direction he's taking us, but he's not John Wooden, and he's not above being questioned. If he can publicly criticize the team's toughness and the lack of home court atmosphere, his moves are subject to criticism as well. I'm an alum and a season ticket holder of over 15 yrs. I go to all the home games and many road games. I am disappointed the results have not been there this season. I don't think his game management has been stellar this season. Let's see if he can Wright the ship
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Jojogunne wrote:I think our problem is recruiting. We do not have enough quality players. Since JAM arrived, we've had two Niagara transfers, a Niagara recruit, a couple of other other transfers, and several one-and-done players. That's not how you build a program.
Agree JOJO
Polito

Post by Polito »

I agree 100% that a paid staff is never above critique and accountability. They are paid to PRODUCE. And I question some of their in-game coaching decisions, their rotation choices, JM's ref tirades, their use of certain players for the minutes they receive etc. All fair IMO.

I 100% completely disagree about the recruiting. Jojo, I respect your thoughts and opinions, but this one I have to take issue with - this is absolutely incorrect and solidly off-base. HU recruits at a lower A-10 level,

#1) This staff has yet to sign a recruit that is not rated 3 stars by at least 1 reputable source. Name another to do so... I'll wait. Guys like Rok, Pemba, Buie, etc. could've easily gone elsewhere. Pemba was close to going to W&M and Northeastern, and then all of you would've been complaining about why they get guys like that and not HU.
#2) This staff immediately addressed a decade + long issue of no quality bigs to compliment the guards. And did so with one from OAK HILL. Name another time this program has had 3 guys 6'9 and above who can play D1 in the CAA... I'll wait.
#3) This staff signed guys that the others couldn't, immediately, like BB and Malik Nichols. And they routinely beat out other solid programs to get the guys they do (Gustys, Pemba, etc.)
#4) Not building a winning program with some transfers is a complete myth and an utter lie. Iona says hi. La Salle says hi. UNCW says hi. Nearly every mid major that WINS does this, and they all collectively say hello.
#5) And this staff is not building a program with only transfers, they are using them to compliment the program and the recruiting classes. That is exactly what they SHOULD be doing. And quite frankly, they've hit gold more than coal thus far - you had an issue with Upshaw, Nesmith, Koon, Tanksley, Green???? Hell, Powers is not the right PG for this system but there's no question this kid can play quality D1 ball. Even UNCW's announcers were praising him all game long.

So as an example because Greer hasn't panned out yet they should stop bringing in high quality transfers?? That's crazy talk. I, and EVERY program in need, would take Carter in a NY MINUTE. Imagine where this program would be without the above names. Think about that for a minute.

Recruiting is NOT the problem here, and dems are just da facts. HU recruits at a lower A10 level, and honestly, not sure what else can be expected from a program that has not been to the dance in 16 YEARS, and has won just *1* conf title in that timeframe... let's be real here.

Some of you need a serious reality check in the world of recruiting. I'm nutty with it I admit lol, but if you ever decide to take some time to learn about this aspect of college sports at the D1 level, it will blow your mind. This is practically a bloodsport! And beating off other programs that have a HELLUVA lot more to sell is a 365 day job. i don't have any sympathy for them, they are paid to do this, but folks need to be clear on what is involved with this.

***Now, what you CAN question is whether all of their recruits have panned out as hoped. That you can always ask,100%. And I think it will often times be up for debate.

Powers is a perfect example. I think this kid can really ball. But I just don't think he's turned out to be the best PG for this team/system... yet. He might at the end, but he's certainly running out of time.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Let's see how many all-CAA players we have at the end of the year. If recruiting is not the problem, then player development -- and, by extension, coaching -- is.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Jojogunne wrote:Let's see how many all-CAA players we have at the end of the year. If recruiting is not the problem, then player development -- and, by extension, coaching -- is.
Jojo-- normally love your takes, and respect that this one is coming from a place of thought, but I also can't disagree more. We have a first or second teamer in Rokas and the current leader for ROY in Pemba, who we directly out-recruited rival W&M for. JWF looks to be a future stud too...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote:
Anyone watching the game can judge in-game coaching. In any sport.
Correct, anyone can make judgements but are they credible opinions?
Cards

Post by Cards »

I think all of us live on the edge of our seats regarding recruiting. Part of the reason for that is because it always seems like JM cannot fill the available slots during the regular fall signing period. Every year, we seem to be holding our breath late into the spring, hoping to land some one who is still available. Its certainly nerve racking! I think that generally speaking, this is the lot we will have to deal with until the program can consistently with championships, and routinely get to the NCAA or at least NIT tourneys. It would be extremely rare for 4 star or even many 3 stars to commit early to a team without a great track record over that past 10 yrs.

Now, to say the JM has not done a good job recruiting is simply not correct. Remember what he has to work with -- the history of not making it to the bigger end of the season tourneys and the perception (right or wrong) about HU and mid major MBB. Getting signings like RG, EP, JWF, DB, is realistically about the best we can expect right now (and I will say that JWF is woefully underrated as a 2 star). Getting better or at least higher rated recruits is kind of like the chicken and the egg routine. We need to play better to get the better recruits, but how do you play better without the top talent? This is what JM has to figure out. In my opinion (setting aside our current slide), I think JM and the staff are riding right on the edge of that conundrum. We are getting looks from and consideration from top talent, but we cant get over the hump. I think that once we do, then the other 3.5 stars and 4 stars take notice, and a typical 3-star becomes the typical signee for HU rather than a stretch recruit.

Finally, this is all why this poor play this season is so frustrating. Building the program takes time, and since JM has arrived, the trend has been very good. But this season is setting us back. Hopefully our play will pick up, otherwise we will lose 2-3 years worth of good recruiting work in 1 season. Remember, its the perception of HU and being a mid, that matters, not the reality.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Recruiting has been an issue this year to an extent. I'm not sure how anybody can say it has not been.

The threshold for our program is the NCAA Tournament. We had a six-man rotation for the majority of the CAA run last year. Our defense has been bad every season of the Mihalich tenure, we're ranked 321st in the NCAA this year in defensive efficiency. We don't have a roster that can run a man to man defense, because we only have one forward on the court at all times. How much clearer can the Elon game make that point, and the conference knows and exploits that against us. I've liked the guys Joe has brought in, I think they're overall a good group of players, but we routinely do not have enough guys to make it work, and get over the top.

Hofstra should always be "In Guards We Trust," but the lack of quality forwards on the roster is killing us this year. Also, besides for Powers, we don't have a guy who looks comfortable handling the ball. I think Pemba and JWF are getting there, but we have a bunch of guys who look tentative with the ball in their hands, which I think has made us struggle creating our own shots, and move the ball properly in zone defenses. Our offensive struggles are relatively insignificant, and completely magnified by our atrocious defensive effort to date. This is an obvious transition year, so I can't get too worked up about our lack of success, but we have a short bench and a lack of size, through the whole Mihalich tenure, you can't win the CAA like that. That's a recruiting problem.