Mens Hoops Coaching Staff - Let's Discuss

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Mens Hoops Coaching Staff - Let's Discuss

Post by Polito »

First, this is not a bash thread, so please do not treat it as such. Let's be respectful and remember we are ALL in this together and have the SAME desire to WIN.

Let me first say I am thankful we have a staff that does things the right way. This program is clean, and produces quality young MEN, not just hoops players. It graduates them, prepares them, and has completely turned around a fledgling losing program in hot water with a terrible outside perception.

We are now at the point where we will be disappointed by not winning 20 games. Super talented and athletic players are basically expected thanks to their quality recruiting. Where we once just wanted to see a team that could compete and be composed of decent human beings, we now expect to see high level ball, a lot of wins, and young men that are models for their school, family, friends, and fans.

That said, there are obviously some areas that need desperate attention. Clearly the staff knows how to win, this is not their first rodeo, and they have proven this at HU. But there are some real concerns with how things are shaping up that need to be addressed.

Team Defense
Player Use/Rotation
Offensive Play Sets
TEAMWORK

And I'm sure there are others. I know this is all a hot topic, so let's consolidate - let's hear your thoughts on what you feel this staff needs to change, explain, be on the hook for, etc. Annnnnnd...GO!
stuball888

Re: Mens Hoops Coaching Staff - Let's Discuss

Post by stuball888 »

does this coaching staff use a hand held chalk board to draw up plays. need a good Xs and Os guy. Too many open threes for opponents and guards are getting into the paint too often Weakside help not there.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I agree with that need Stu, the need for improved in-game coaching and play-calling is very apparent. Ball distribution should be a requirement in EVERY half court set until this team makes it a habit. Only fast-breaks or 3 on 2 type situations should be the exception. Heck I wouldn't mind having a requirement that the ball MUST touch the post on EVERY O possession as well until they get it.

Having a PG who understands how to run plays, dish the ball properly, create situations effectively, and lead the team, rather than trying to be a solo hero every time down the court is also a necessity for this. For the future that's predominantly a recruiting item, but for this season, it's a matter of the staff getting DP on the right track and same page with the team.

Should also point out the very obvious need to adjust BB's usage. IMO this has become so obvious to anyone who is watching this team play that it simply cannot be ignored anymore if this team wants to win. This needs to change, asap.

What else folks? This can be a really good discussion, there is a LOT to talk about! :)
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:I agree with that need Stu, the need for improved in-game coaching and play-calling is very apparent. Ball distribution should be a requirement in EVERY half court set until this team makes it a habit. Only fast-breaks or 3 on 2 type situations should be the exception. Heck I wouldn't mind having a requirement that the ball MUST touch the post on EVERY O possession as well until they get it.
You don't want to limit players' creativity or make them think too much without reading and reacting and playing freely, offensively, when they should. But there's a balance. Moving the ball to pass up good shots for great shots, and to get the ball in the hands of your best shooters is always the best way to play offensively. And with this team, since the biggest issue is on defense, moving the ball offensively and making your opponent work harder defensively only helps your own defense, because the harder your opponent works on D, the more tired they'll be on offense, and the easier it'll be for you to defend them.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I watched the Villanova game last night -a perfect example on how BB should be played-team and ball movement, tight defense, aggressive rebounding and lights out shooting. Only Jay communicates with the team during time outs and during play, rest of coaching staff sits quietly.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Polito wrote:Having a PG who understands how to run plays, dish the ball properly, create situations effectively, and lead the team, rather than trying to be a solo hero every time down the court is also a necessity for this. For the future that's predominantly a recruiting item, but for this season, it's a matter of the staff getting DP on the right track and same page with the team.
All the talk about getting TC is fun and exciting (and I hope we get him), but THIS season is the current issue. As Polito says, for this season, the most impactful factor is getting DP back on track. He started the season poorly, then got on track passing and dishing (the true PG role), but has more recently fallen back. And of course its not coincidence that the overall team play has been on the same track. In the CAA, PG is the key, there is no way around it. If the coaches can't get DP back on track or DP for whatever reason won't get on track, it will be a long season.

I would like to see more ball movement and a few more plays be called. Too much playground ball right now. We do have some real weapons on this squad. We should have options for each one in every game and then find out which ones are working best against that particular opponent on that given day. Then keep going to the well until they take it away from you.

Finally, this suggestion is just an experiment. Against a bigger team like CoC, try Sebatey in the 4 spot for a few possessions. For a guy his size, he moves pretty well. The goal of the test is not to boost the offense, rather, its strictly a defensive test. Heck maybe we even get a few offensive mismatches we could exploit! I cant see how throwing the opponent a curve like this (for 3 minutes) would hurt us terribly. We always seem to be worrying about our own defense (and with good reason :)), but what about the other teams, they have to adjust also. I certainly think JM putting in 2 bigs would have the other coaches scratching the heads wondering how do they now drive, defend, and setup. By the time they figure it out, we go back to one big. Heck, let them make the adjustment.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

DP has been sick for about a week...that could be impacting his play as well....and guys I am not worried about our offense at all... this team has several offensive sets that are run all the time...and our points come off of that offense...we do NOT run specific plays for individuals within the context of that offense...what are we averaging? More than 75 PPG? it's not our offense that is the issue...except for the JMU game and that was primarily due to poor shooting...And speaking of shooting, our free throw shooting is becoming a problem...we lost the WM and game due to poor shooting from the line and we were 9-17 against Charleston. That adds up to losses in CAA play...and this is something that SHOULD be FIXABLE.

We addressed the use of Sabbety and Rok together with Coach Farrelly at a recent Pride Club chalk talk...he said neither of them can defend on the wing so it has been tabled for now...It would also limit us offensively according to him...Who would you sit? Frankly I would like to see us use more Walker...he was a disruptor in the Charleston game for his brief appearance...word is he is playing MUCH better in practice and he may see some more time.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

JAM spoke pretty highly of Walker in the post game presser after the Charleston game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

About time they catch up to what the rest of us have been saying :lol:

I spoke with staff after game 1 and was told the same about Rok and Sabety on the floor together, and I get it - either will get torched by most 4's in the CAA that its not worth the small positive.

However, where it does make sense is against a team like JMU or CofC who often trot out 2 bigs at the same time of a similar mold to HU's. This is where in-game adjustment must be incorporated. 2 bigs = 2 bigs. Not rocket science.

But I actually don't think it should be Rok and Sabety, I think it should be Rok/Sabety and Walker. Rok, for some very frustrating reason, is still not ready to play a full game (hint hint staff/Rok at a more intensified offseason training regimen), so having Sabety as a near-clone to sub is a MUST this season. Enter Walker, who can run the floor and alter shots. That HAS to be worth it for a few min a game in those particular 2 big situations.

Broken Record Time:

This team and system is 100% dependent upon the play of Powers. It will go as far or as little as he takes them, period. It is absolutely VITAL that he plays the position to create and dish first, and score second or third. Not optional. VITAL. When he does it, the offense is dangerous all game long and the team wins more often than not. When he doesn't we see the last 5 min of W&M regulation and JMU.

HUSID, I agree with you in part that the O is not the issue...BUT ONLY when the scoring opportunities are properly created and the ball is distributed. Without proper PG play, this O presses, rushes, and goes into a funk (ie 70pts). When DP is on his proper game, this O hums and 90pts is almost a given.

And with the continued emergence of guys like JWF and Pemba, holy cow, the potential is through the roof. But they need a floor general.

Like I said when Buie got hurt, I reeeeeeeaallllyyy hope Powers is up to the task. The entire season depends on it.

Oh, and this is fantastic viewing for anyone who would like to see just how important this is to a team like HU, and just how much of it Green did - this video is incredible and worth every fans time to take in - not sure who did it, but damn, major KUDOS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfd2RybsHIg

Absolutely near-perfect PG. Not my favorite 'leader' per say as he was missing some character traits on that front, but boy that young man could play this game and his position with the absolute best of them.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Our main problem is we're a horrible defensive team. We're not good anywhere defensively. We do not pressure at all and patient teams know if they move the ball enough, they will find the shot they're looking for. We were able to tighten up the defense enough last season to make a run, but I'm not sure where we will see that happen with this personnel, nobody has shown anything.

Offensively, we've struggled against zone defenses. JMU especially brought that to light. They were considerably longer than us, and we settled for lots of bad shots that ultimately got us run out of our own building. We've also struggled with game pace, we have fallen into the other team's pace in all of the CAA games so far. We're definitely better in an uptempo game, but CofC, UD and JMU have made us play to their pace, and we've struggled significantly. I thought we became aware of that late in the JMU game, but the shots just weren't falling.

Powers has been pretty damn good, but he's not Juan'ya, and maybe it takes Juan'ya Green to make Rokas a decent offensive player. Rok has been so lost this year, his footwork has been terrible. Truthfully, Rok's struggles wouldn't be a major problem if we played any defense at all, but there is significant pressure on the team to outscore everybody. We've done a poor job holding onto leads in the last five minutes of the Mihalich tenure, because our offense values taking open shots when they're available. At the end of these games, we start losing our legs (I think illness played a factor in the losses to W&M and JMU), but more importantly, we can't find good shots late in the shot clock, and our defense can't put teams away.

To bring it back to the coaching, I can't say I have major gripes, I think we're as well coached as we have been since Jay Wright. I think Mihalich does get too emotional during the games, for example, he was really lacing into Ty Greer during the JMU game, screaming "you're not tough enough!" I don't really care how he coaches up the guys to be honest, but I just think he gets lost in coaching up the guys, or yelling at the refs, and we lose some in-game management. Clearly, there is some trade-off defensively for playing in an uptempo system, but we're really pathetic this year, I honestly don't know if that is a product of the coaching, or just the type of player we recruit.
Polito

Post by Polito »

FD, this right here is a super post. Right on the money my friend.

Especially agree with the team feeling tremendous pressure to outscore everyone. That is 100% true, and you can actually feel the tension in games. This is leading to what I've been mentioning around rushing, pressing, and forcing. All of which will not win games.

Although HU clearly has firepower and can score 80+ on a relatively consistent basis with PROPER PG play, they still must find answers on D. These young men are talented and working hard, but unless you trot out a 5* starting rotation with 5* backups like Kentucky, you've got to be smart and adjust to the fact that you are simply not going to hit shots like that every game... there MUST be another strategy to win games besides scoring 95 points.

That is an unrealistic, unfair, and ill prepared expectation when your best players are a Sophomore and true Freshman.

And that is on the staff to accomplish.

Now the FT's is just a horrendous beast for this staff to address. They can't take the shots for them. This is on the PLAYERS to improve. Yes, the staff can do their part on the recruiting trail, but the reality of today's game with youth is they simply do not value FT's like previous generations. It's a different game. Heck look at the pros they are idolizing...when Shaq can go out there and brick 'em left and right, laugh about it, and still be in the NBA making millions winning titles, it certainly doesn't send a message that FT's are a necessary skill. One example I know, but it's all over.

You guys know I am a recruitnik (not a brag for sure lol), and let me tell you, I am hardpressed to find scorers/shooters that hit 80%+ of their FT's - best I see on a regular basis is 70-75%... and I don't consider that great. But it is what it is. A guy that can shoot lights out game in and out, hit FT's automatic, play solid D, is athletic, heady, etc etc etc is what you call a 5* Kentucky signee.

So I'm not sure what the answer is, but IMO this is not really on the staff. They practice them all the time - this is an individual player responsibility to address.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote: Clearly, there is some trade-off defensively for playing in an uptempo system, but we're really pathetic this year, I honestly don't know if that is a product of the coaching, or just the type of player we recruit.
That's usually the case, but JAM has also said himself, "You can be good at both, offense and defense." So if we're to take him at his word, then they need to start playing that way.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote:Rok, for some very frustrating reason, is still not ready to play a full game.
With all due respect, this is a weak cop out that I refuse to buy (see Rok's 18 pts on 9/11 fg and 23 rebounds in 44 minutes, playing on a third consecutive day in Baltimore last March, under the weight of having to produce during his first college title game).

What he needs is for the guards to get him involved, to be as aggressive as he was before, to keep improving defensively and most of all, to stay out of foul trouble. Conditioning isn't and should not be a question. He showed that LAST year.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I agree Wags. He needs to be involved - and its not just PnRs. When Rok is down low with his back to the basket, he can create his own shot and score with pretty high efficiency. Right now , however, he posts up but never gets the ball. I don't know if its the coaches making the decision, the guards making the decision on their own, or both, but we are not using one of the offensive weapons we have.

Of course the huge elephant in the room is the defense (or lack thereof), as other have already said. That has to improve.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:I agree Wags. He needs to be involved - and its not just PnRs. When Rok is down low with his back to the basket, he can create his own shot and score with pretty high efficiency. Right now , however, he posts up but never gets the ball. I don't know if its the coaches making the decision, the guards making the decision on their own, or both, but we are not using one of the offensive weapons we have.
Fully agree, and I think it's mainly the guards doing that on their own, mainly because the coaches are giving them too much freedom to make those decisions on their own, rather than running some plays for Rok or at least making it more of a point of emphasis to use him as the same type of weapon he became last year. The FG percentages are there the past two years, especially last year. He can be a highly efficient additional scorer when given the chances to do that. It's frustrating to see them waste that, especially because of the positive trickle-down effect in can have. If Rok's more involved offensively in the post, it opens up the perimeter and driving game for the guards. And if they're scoring more easily because of Rok, they can ALL set up better defensively after made shots instead of misses, and have more energy to play better defense because they didn't work as hard to score at the other end of the floor.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I guess this fits in this topic....

JM complained twice (JMU post game presser and Weekly Report) about the lousy atmosphere at the Mack during the JMU game.

By my estimation, he has done little to remedy the situation- certainly no Jay Wright or even Mo Cassara when it comes to helping in this regard.
DCDUTCH

Post by DCDUTCH »

We may lose recruits because the serious lack of fan support.

I Blame the "commuter school" mentality to an extent.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

It was still a commuter school a few years back when we were averaging over 3,000 a game with teams that were not as fun to watch and less talented.
How do we explain that...and it's not about Joe running over to the student center to hand out a few t-shirts.
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:I guess this fits in this topic....

JM complained twice (JMU post game presser and Weekly Report) about the lousy atmosphere at the Mack during the JMU game.

By my estimation, he has done little to remedy the situation- certainly no Jay Wright or even Mo Cassara when it comes to helping in this regard.
I'm not sure what Wright (other than win) or Cassara did to help the home court atmosphere either, and certainly not more than HU's current coach. Mihalich sent out that good letter to season ticket holders this year, participated in that video before the Stony Brook game this year, cleaned up a program that was in shambles after the six players arrests, and has kept it clean, with players graduating, ever since.

So it's not like he hasn't done his part. But that's also not his job. His job in getting fans to show up, is simply to win and to run a clean program. In that regard, he took a 7-win team, and in two years, turned it into a 20-win team, and a year later, into a 24-win team which to date, is the only one to win a men's CAA basketball title (regular season) of any kind, in the decade and a half the school has played in the conference. In that regard, he's already done his job so far to help boost attendance. It's up to the marketing department or anyone else involved to capitalize on that more effectively. Easier said than done. They have a tough job with the many factors that go into suppressing attendance for Hofstra Basketball in a tough market in which to draw, but it's up to them to find a way to do that, rather than being on the head coach, especially when the head coach has a program showing progress year to year (this current transition year notwithstanding, so far, and we'll see how that still shakes out).
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID80 wrote:It was still a commuter school a few years back when we were averaging over 3,000 a game with teams that were not as fun to watch and less talented.
How do we explain that...and it's not about Joe running over to the student center to hand out a few t-shirts.
I don't buy that excuse at all when more than half the undergrad population is from out of state now. If anything that hurts attendance more in January, although there are still plenty of Long Island students nearby who could be attending.