Game 12 - SUNY SB game

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Game 12 - SUNY SB game

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: They love to shoot the 3 -- 43.4% of their FGA are from 3 (they take about 26 and make 8 per game).
http://www.americaeast.com/fls/14000/me ... m#team.ind has their statistics. They have more field goal attempts than their opponents, but shoot field goals .106 worse than their opponents and three-pointers .098 worse than their opponents. Out of their 9 players with the most field goal attempts, 7 of them have a field goal percentage under .400. Attempting a lot of threes probably lowers a team's field goal percentage, but their two-point field goal percentage is .417, so they're bad at shooting two-pointers and three-pointers. To put that into perspective, CAA teams have a .502 two-point field goal percentage.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=148188 has statistics. Stony Brook is starting UC Iroegbu (guard), Tyrell Sturdivant (forward), Akwasi Yeboah (guard), Roland Nyama (forward), and Lucas Woodhouse (guard). Stony Brook's top four scorers range for 10.6 points per game to 12.2 points per game. Those four players are their starters other than Iroegbu, who averages 5.4 points per game. Hofstra is starting Greer, Powers, Pemberton, Gustys, and Bernardi.

Edit: Hofstra is 186th in the RPI and Stony Brook is 247th.

Edit: Hofstra leads 12-4 with 15:10 left in the first half. Gustys has 4 points and Hofstra's other scorers have 2 each. Nobody on either team has made a three-pointer, and Hofstra has only attempted 1. Stony Brook just committed the first foul for either team, so nobody has attempted a free throw. Hofstra has more rebounds, 9 to 2, with 5 of them for Gustys.

Edit: Hofstra's largest lead so far was 17-4, and Hofstra leads 18-6 with 11:55 left in the first half. Gustys and Pemberton are tied for the most points with 5. Gustys has 6 rebounds and just had the first blocked shot for either team. Point guard Powers doesn't have an assist yet.

Edit: Hofstra's largest lead so far was 23-8, and Hofstra leads 23-10 with 7:36 left in the first half. Hofstra hasn't scored in the last 2:26, but Stony Brook has only gained 2 points during that time. Gustys and Greer have 7 rebounds each.

Edit: It took Hofstra 6:34 to make their first three-pointer, but with 2:06 left in the first half, Hofstra has made 5 out of 10 three-pointers. Hofstra's largest lead so far was 39-18 and it's now 39-20.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Holy cow what a first half! We lead 44-24, and we're out-rebounding them 31-17. Fantastic defense for the most part (Did I really just say that?!) This team is definitely on a mission tonight. How about Gustys with 13 first half rebounds.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra's largest lead of the first half was 42-20, and Hofstra leads 44-24 at halftime. Stony Brook has made 2 out of 13 three-pointers and missed both of their free throws. Akwasi Yeboah has shot field goals 1-for-9. Pemberton leads all scorers with 10, followed by Powers and Michael Almonacy with 9 points each. Almonacy is a freshman averaging 2.1 points per game with a career-high of 5 points before today.

Edit: Bernardi has 8 points, Gustys has 7, and Wright-Foreman has 6. Hofstra players can have a countdown of how many points they have from 10 to 6. Greer has 4 points and Robinson and Sabety haven't scored. Sabety missed his only field goal and Robinson hasn't attempted a shot. Hofstra has a great assist-to-turnovers ratio of 8/3. Hofstra has 13 second chance points, and Stony Brook has only 2 points from their 5 offensive rebounds. The teams have 6 fouls each.

Edit: Hofstra has attempted 4 free throws, putting them on pace for 8. The last time Hofstra attempted 8 or fewer free throws was when they attempted 8 against Drexel 60 games ago. Hofstra has attempted at least 20 free throws in every game this season. Last season Hofstra's fewest free throws attempted was 12. Hofstra had 31 rebounds at halftime, putting them on pace for 62. Since 2005-2006 the most rebounds Hofstra has had is 61 in a loss at Massachusetts on December 20, 2008. Hofstra's team record for rebounds is 67.

Edit: Tyrell Sturdivant averages 6.8 rebounds and has 1 so far. Lucas Woodhouse averages 5.2 assists and has 1 so far. Hofstra leads 53-31 with 15:59 left.

Edit: Hofstra leads 65-38 with 11:13 left. Pemberton leads all scorers with 14. Gustys has 16 rebounds.

Edit: With 10:58 left, Hofstra has five players in double-digits and Gustys has 9 points.
Last edited by EvanJ on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Agreed, very important game for us on several fronts; bragging and recruiting on LI, bounce back from Sunday, getting close to conference play...need to get a better read on what this team will really be like
Also, next game in 9 days and only 2 games over the next 18 days, so you definitely don't want to go into that stretch with a loss.

A blowout win on the other hand, IS what you want with that coming up. And at 65-38 with 11:13 left, this is looking like their most complete game of the season, at each end, so far.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

How did this Stony Brook team beat Northeastern?
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:How did this Stony Brook team beat Northeastern?
Home court for one, and Northeastern is often very inconsistent.

But maybe Hofstra is more on the level of a top CAA team than a middle of the pack or lower-end CAA team like Northeastern might be. Hard to say though off of just this game and SBU vs NU.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This game may just be the thing to get students to come back for more games... they're now having fun with a "We want Connor" chant.

Student turnout via Hofstra Tickets: https://twitter.com/HofstraTickets/stat ... 0891910148

Update: The students got their wish. Both walk-ons are in with less than 3 minutes to go.
Last edited by ProudofPride on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Stony Brook fans are calling us Duke :lol: :P
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

SBU quit 10 minutes into the game. Played very soft

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

What a beatdown.

What would a Kentucky-Stony Brook game look like!?!?

I wish I could have gone, but work obligations forced me to watch the stream. Crowd didn't look that great, but I guess it's still a work in progress.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraHockey wrote:What a beatdown.

What would a Kentucky-Stony Brook game look like!?!?
LOL!! Really!
HofstraHockey wrote: I wish I could have gone, but work obligations forced me to watch the stream. Crowd didn't look that great, but I guess it's still a work in progress.
Only 2,352 and the Lion's Den, although pretty well packed, not as loud as I've heard it many times before. But it WAS out of hand early and just got worse, so shouldn't read too much into that. At least they showed up in that section.

It's a start. There were was some decent spirit, and a nice "Have no fear, Pemba is Here!" sign. Winning 96-58 over Long Island rival will only keep them coming back, not send them away. So it was a good night. But now no games for another 9 days and only one home game left in the calendar year, so hopefully they will remember tonight, show up for Siena, come back, and get more to show up with them.
Wags

Post by Wags »

A Top 25 team (No. 25 Cincinnati) beat Texas Southern (which won at James Madison, 67-56, this season) at home by the same score tonight, 96-58.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We are the Kentucky of Long Island! We scored the same # of points against SBU as Kentucky scored against us!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra won 96-58. For the second time in nine games, Wright-Foreman, Bernardi, Powers, Greer, Gustys, and Pemberton gave Hofstra six double-digit scorers. I also wonder who the last player to lead Hofstra in points and field goals attempted off the bench was before Wright-Foreman tonight. He led all scorers with 22. Hofstra has a very low standard deviation of points from their leading scorer in each game. In all 12 games, Hofstra's leading scorer had somewhere from 17 to 23 points. Hofstra had more rebounds, 59 to 30.

It was the first time Hofstra played consecutive games with a win and a loss in either order and the winning team scoring at least 96 points in each game since the first two games of 2010-2011, against non-Division I Farmingdale State and North Carolina. The previous time Hofstra did that against two Division I teams was in the 20th and 21st games of 1977-1978 at Holy Cross and hosting Wagner.

http://gohofstra.com/news/2016/12/13/me ... brook.aspx is titled "MBB: Six Score In Double-Figures As Hofstra Routs Stony Brook, 96-58."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... =400918739 is the Associated Press article titled "Hofstra defeats Stony Brook 96-58, Gustys grabs 18 rebounds."

http://gohofstra.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=7620 is the box score. The attendance was 2,352, which increases our average but still isn't good.

Edit: Wright-Foreman has scored 92 out of his 124 points (74.2 percent) in the second half.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:Hofstra won 96-58. For the second time in nine games, Wright-Foreman, Bernardi, Powers, Greer, Gustys, and Pemberton gave Hofstra six double-digit scorers. I also wonder who the last player to lead Hofstra in points and field goals attempted off the bench was before Wright-Foreman tonight. He led all scorers with 22. Hofstra has a very low standard deviation of points from their leading scorer in each game.
That's because they're spreading the shots around well. Did it again tonight. Among the 6 who scored in double figure,s everyone took between 8 and 12 shots. And as a team, they shot 50.7% that way. Great way to play if you can. In past years, HU has had to rely a lot on that one guy (Jenkins, Agudio, Green) a little too much, but what could make this team dangerous as it continues to gel is spreading the shots around fairly evenly the way they have. And not that you wanted to lose Buie, but it seems like JWF is getting more into that type of mix (like he has in the past 60 minutes -- 36 pts in the past 3 halves) in that same type of way, as being one of six who will take somewhere in that 8-12 shot range going forward.

JWF's 22 pts and 8 rebounds were both career highs for him tonight.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

It looks like that Kentucky game is paying big time dividends as it has raised our team's level of play already. That was as close to a perfect display of basketball as you could possibly get. Since we moved from the AE to CAA 15 years ago, there have been times where I have questioned the move because of how hard it is for a northern team to win the CAA. But tonight is perfect example of why we did it. Our talent, 1 through 12, is on another level than SB and it was on full display tonight. And we know, as a member of the CAA, which was the 9th rated conference in college basketball last year, the team that wins the conference, has a legitimate shot at winning some games in the NCAA tournament if it gets the right match up. I just hope it happens for us sooner rather than later. We've waited long enough. And after a performance like tonight, where we were cranking on all cylinders, I think we can safely say that we are one of the contenders for the CAA championship.

Everyone played well tonight. This was a blowout right from the opening tip. It was a coming out party for JWF. He played with confidence all night. I hope he has turned the corner and we can now count on consistent production from the sophomore. Ty Greer had an excellent game as well. He had a good nose for the ball around the basket tonight. Reminded me a little of Koon last year, always in the right spot for an offensive rebound. It was another day at the office for Rok with 18 boards. Powers with another 7 assists looks to be settling in as the floor general. Sabety was a rebounding machine during his limited minutes but he also needs to work on positioning and body control on defense because he is fouling too much. But definitely like his game alot on both sides of the court. And Mr. Pemberton, what can we say? The guy is already a stud as a true freshman. He has all the makings of becoming a very special player. He has 2,000 career points potential written all over him.

And lastly, I was very happy to see a full student section. They weren't overly vocal, but they showed up which is step 1. All is right in Hofstra land right now. One more to go before conference play begins.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Coach has to seriously consider starting JWF.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Jojogunne wrote:Coach has to seriously consider starting JWF.
Why? Off the bench he gives us a completely different look and great energy. Still very inconsistent, let's hope he improves and gives us consistent scoring off the bench, something we have lacked over the years.