Hofstra vs Villanova - 12/22/17 (Nassau Coliseum)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Hofstra vs Villanova - 12/22/17 (Nassau Coliseum)

Post by Wags »

Crazy to think this given the final margin, but Hofstra (48.3%) actually outshot Villanova (47.9%).

Of course, it was all about the made 3s: 16-5, Nova, for a difference of 33 points (48-15). And that's your ballgame.

But this does make me wonder if EvanJ can track this one down...

Was this 24-point loss the largest spread in Hofstra Basketball history (for HU or an HU opponent) in which the losing team outshot the other overall? I can't ever recall seeing something like that in any game at any level, when a team outshoots the other overall and still loses by a margin of as much as 24 points. Wondering just how rare that is, historically. And if anyone can find that, it would be EvanJ.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Some praise from HU's old coach and why he thinks HU can win the CAA this year:

"Hofstra is a tough team to play. They’re scrappy. Joe’s got a great way to prepare for you. They know all your cuts, they change up their defenses. You can’t look good, and it frustrated our guys sometimes.

"I think that’s why that team, when they get to their league, is gonna have a chance to win it. They really prepare well. They knew all our cuts. That’s a great job by [Joe’s] staff. Speedy helps there, too. He knows a lot. And those guards, when they get it going, they can beat you. Our guys respected that and I thought we did a pretty good job against a team that can get you."
garyg

Post by garyg »

Easy to see why Nova ranked #1 in country...I do not think Hofstra played all that bad, just that Nova played that good...
Cards

Post by Cards »

The Nova team is a well oiled machine. They don't need flash and whiz-bang stuff. They simply play solid efficient and basic bball. I mean no disrespect, but what I saw them do last night was so good, it was almost boring basketball. Top notch program.

i bet if you needed to pick the top ten highlights of the game, 7 - 8 of them would be HU. Most of the VU highlights were just find the open guys and hit the shot.

Between the shooting and the turnovers, that was the game.

All in all, it was great fun!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Nova spreads the court extremely well and always seems to get a good shot/good look at the basket
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Agree with what's been said but despite the "blowout" we were even with them on the boards, had more points in the paint, 36-26 and yes we had some real highlights with some great dunks by Rok and Sabety and some great moves to the basket by Justin...just seemed like Villanova could hit the trey anytime they wanted and anywhere on the court....the two treys late in the first half, one off a HU turnover with about 2 seconds left REALLY hurt.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Not going to analyze the game too much. Overall it was a fun night. The pregame party was a good time with a big crowd and the surprise guest of Jay Wright speaking made it an even better event.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Gustys came out of his shell in the second half and took the ball to the hoop effectively. Let's hope he continues to do this, rather than just passing off. We need him to score, and to be a scoring threat to open up the perimeter for our shooters.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Great game last night. Awesome sparks by JWF and Sabety. Very fun to watch and like everyone else said, not much to critique as I think overall we played pretty well against the #1 team.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Jojogunne wrote:Gustys came out of his shell in the second half and took the ball to the hoop effectively. Let's hope he continues to do this, rather than just passing off. We need him to score, and to be a scoring threat to open up the perimeter for our shooters.
Absolutely right Jojo - i noticed the same. Seems like he really played with passion during the second half. Don't know why the change in his attitude, maybe he just realized this is his time to mark a statement, maybe he didn't like getting blown out, not sure what it was. Bottom line though, against a great team he would have had an impressive double double if he would have played like that for the entire game (at least 15+pts and 12+ rebounds).

Lets hope that style of play over the final 20 minutes carries over into the CAA season. He really looked like the Rok of old.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Cards wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Gustys came out of his shell in the second half and took the ball to the hoop effectively. Let's hope he continues to do this, rather than just passing off. We need him to score, and to be a scoring threat to open up the perimeter for our shooters.
Absolutely right Jojo - i noticed the same. Seems like he really played with passion during the second half. Don't know why the change in his attitude, maybe he just realized this is his time to mark a statement, maybe he didn't like getting blown out, not sure what it was. Bottom line though, against a great team he would have had an impressive double double if he would have played like that for the entire game (at least 15+pts and 12+ rebounds).

Lets hope that style of play over the final 20 minutes carries over into the CAA season. He really looked like the Rok of old.
Were we watching the same game??? Again, not taking this game too seriously, as Nova is an incredibly talented team, but I thought tonight was the epitome of Rok being soft on both ends of the floor, with a low bball IQ and hands of stone. Even the announcers (in the 2nd half!) had to eventually comment on his lack of inferior defensive presence and constant missed lay ups.

For me, he’s the most frustrating player on our team and a major reason we’re underachieving as a whole.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

I didn't think Hofstra played poorly at all, but it's obvious they aren't at the same level as the #1 team in the country. I was disappointed in the first half, once Nova went to the zone press, that Hofstra did such a bad job with the ball and breaking it. That was where the 12-0 run came from that opened it up, and obviously took the Hofstra fans out of it.

JWF played well, but he had a few wide open jumpers in the early part of the game that he missed on, points that would have increased the Hofstra lead and maybe put a little scare into them.

On D, I know you have to double because of size and skill advantages that Nova has, but they just kick it out, and like was said earlier, the three ball just ate them up.

Thought Hofstra did a good job rebounding, actually. Compared to the games down in Charleston against the big boys, where it felt like every missed shot was back in the opponent's hands, Hofstra did a good job pulling them down, for the most part.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: But this does make me wonder if EvanJ can track this one down...

Was this 24-point loss the largest spread in Hofstra Basketball history (for HU or an HU opponent) in which the losing team outshot the other overall? I can't ever recall seeing something like that in any game at any level, when a team outshoots the other overall and still loses by a margin of as much as 24 points. Wondering just how rare that is, historically. And if anyone can find that, it would be EvanJ.
I only have statistics from the CAA going back to 2005-2006, which is 403 games, and it's the first time Hofstra lost by at least 24 with a better field goal percentage during that time. The only time Hofstra won by at least 24 with a worse field goal percentage during that time was a 74-49 win hosting Towson on February 1, 2012. Hofstra had 28 more field goal attempts, thanks in part to a whopping 27 turnovers by Towson. Even when we won 26 games in 2005-2006, we only won by at least 24 once. If you would like to e-mail Hofstra and ask if they have older game statistics, I would look at them.

There have been 21 NBA games since 1983-1984 where the team with the better field goal percentage lost by at least 24. It hasn't happened in the NBA in over 2 years, and it hasn't happened in a Knick game during that time.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HU87 wrote:
Cards wrote:

Were we watching the same game??? Again, not taking this game too seriously, as Nova is an incredibly talented team, but I thought tonight was the epitome of Rok being soft on both ends of the floor, with a low bball IQ and hands of stone. Even the announcers (in the 2nd half!) had to eventually comment on his lack of inferior defensive presence and constant missed lay ups.

For me, he’s the most frustrating player on our team and a major reason we’re underachieving as a whole.
Man I thought the same thing as HU87.
Wasn't going to bash RG especially playing against a tough Villanova - but thought he missed his typical easy layups - and remember commentators saying "another easy basket missed" they did also say RG was "being more aggressive".
But I didn't see the breakout or "coming out of his shell".
Ill watch again.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote: But this does make me wonder if EvanJ can track this one down...

I only have statistics from the CAA going back to 2005-2006, which is 403 games, and it's the first time Hofstra lost by at least 24 with a better field goal percentage during that time. The only time Hofstra won by at least 24 with a worse field goal percentage during that time was a 74-49 win hosting Towson on February 1, 2012. Hofstra had 28 more field goal attempts, thanks in part to a whopping 27 turnovers by Towson. Even when we won 26 games in 2005-2006, we only won by at least 24 once. If you would like to e-mail Hofstra and ask if they have older game statistics, I would look at them.

There have been 21 NBA games since 1983-1984 where the team with the better field goal percentage lost by at least 24. It hasn't happened in the NBA in over 2 years, and it hasn't happened in a Knick game during that time.
Thanks, Evan!

So the first time in at least 403 games for this to happen with Hofstra (in a loss). That confirms what I thought. Figured it had to be a major rarity. You just never see it with a final score that lopsided.

I remember that Towson game, mainly because of the same reason: the oddity of winning so big while getting outshot. But that made sense with 28 more shots. Last night was even more unlikely with Villanova taking 13 more shots.

Looks like it's pretty rare in the NBA too, considering that time frame: less than once per year on average (21 times in 33 seasons), although even 21 was a lot higher than I thought.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

What happened to the positive attitude we were supposed to embrace on this board???

I thought Gustys played with more passion in the second half, and, more importantly, his teammates were looking to give him the ball.

If Gustys isn’t a major part of our offensive game plan in conference play, we ain’t goin’ nowhere.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Jojogunne wrote:What happened to the positive attitude we were supposed to embrace on this board???

I thought Gustys played with more passion in the second half, and, more importantly, his teammates were looking to give him the ball.

If Gustys isn’t a major part of our offensive game plan in conference play, we ain’t goin’ nowhere.
Definitely agree. We had some good looks on offense. And defense looked decent too considered we were up against the number 1 team.
jaspegs

Post by jaspegs »

I don’t understand why Joe doesn’t run any plays for Rok in the post. I know he doesn’t have the best post game but I’ve seen some moves from him this year in the post and you would think after 4 years, he has some, yet he runs around the 3 point line setting screens every possession. I get that’s part of the offense but cmon, if we want to get the big fellas to feel apart of the game, feed em from time to time.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't think it would serve any purpose to overly analyze this game. Basically 2 and 3 star players playing against 4/5 star players. Their 6'9" freshman Spellman an unbelievable player/shooter and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Good points made by everyone There were some of our players rising to the occasion and a few not playing well making high pressure mistakes. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when I have to watch a guard miss free throws especially when it's a recurring situation. I believe the cream rose to the top here in this game and let the game stats speak for themselves. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!