Hofstra vs Villanova - 12/22/17 (Nassau Coliseum)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: Hofstra vs Villanova - 12/22/17 (Nassau Coliseum)

Post by Cards »

ProudofPride wrote:The Long Island Nets logo was covered up with a Villanova logo.https://www.instagram.com/p/BdAuPN1hCc_ ... fstrapride
That's a shame! I guess when you're the big dog you get to call the shots.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:
ProudofPride wrote:The Long Island Nets logo was covered up with a Villanova logo.https://www.instagram.com/p/BdAuPN1hCc_ ... fstrapride
It's technically a Villanova "home game." They should be wearing white tonight, and I'm guessing Hofstra in the yellows (since they rarely wear blue as their road unis anymore). Although, teams wear road unis at home and home unis on the road so much in the NBA and in college hoops now, I don't know what to expect. But this is technically Hofstra at Villanova, despite the obvious proximity difference of the Coliseum to the two campuses.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:Villanova is a 22 point favorite according to ESPN. Spread is up a couple of points since the Manhattan loss.
Villanova -20.5 as of now (12:30 pm Fri).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:triple C who is our contact with newsday. there is no excuse for this
Stu I'm not the guy to ask that question to I haven't been involved long enough. The last time there was a problem with Newsday HofstraMathew e-mailed someone at Newsday!!
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:triple C who is our contact with newsday. there is no excuse for this
Stu I'm not the guy to ask that question to I haven't been involved long enough. The last time there was a problem with Newsday HofstraMathew e-mailed someone at Newsday!!
I just e-mailed the general comment e-mail but never received a response.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We should ALL email Newsday then maybe they would pay attention.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The statistics will come from Villanova at http://www.villanova.com/gametracker/la ... artschool=&

If the NCAA counts this as a home game for Villanova, it's better for Hofstra' RPI.

Other than a tournament near one team that is meant to be neutral and teams who share stadiums like the Giants and Jets, I wonder if a team in any sport has been considered away at a venue that short a geographic distance from them.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Here's a scouting report on Hofstra from this article:

Aside from Wright-Foreman and Pemberton, the Pride don't really have anyone else to depend on to score in volumes. However, looking at this team as a whole, Hofstra is prone to turning the ball over. It is ranked 314th in the country in offensive steal rate, with 10.6 percent of possessions ending in the opposing team's hands. With the Wildcats' zone press that generates turnovers at high clip, this could be a long night for Hofstra.

On the other end of the court, the Wildcats' team of many different scoring options should be problematic for a Hofstra team that doesn't really play any defense. According to KenPom, the Pride is ranked 241st in terms of defensive efficiency. It is subpar at protecting the three-point line, allowing teams to shoot 36.6 percent from deep (232nd in the country) and an even worse 53.4 percent inside the arc (259th). On top of that, the Pride isn't known for its shot blocking or creating turnovers.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

This is what I walked in to at The Green Turtle tonight.

It’s a pretty great atmosphere. The place is packed with Hofstra and Nova fans.

Psyched for the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:
Cards wrote:
It's technically a Villanova "home game." They should be wearing white tonight, and I'm guessing Hofstra in the yellows (since they rarely wear blue as their road unis anymore). Although, teams wear road unis at home and home unis on the road so much in the NBA and in college hoops now, I don't know what to expect. But this is technically Hofstra at Villanova, despite the obvious proximity difference of the Coliseum to the two campuses.
Bad guess. Hofstra is actually warming up in the blue unis.

Mike Francesa has a front row seat just to my left, at the basket Villanova was just warming up at (which I'm right behind, which also means I can't see any left wing jumpers because of the stanchion blocking that view).

For some reason, Hofstra has been leading on the scoreboard, 4-2 (and still is), ever since I got here at about 6:20 pm. They're gonna need more of a head start than that.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I unfortunately don't have access to FS1 (and in-turn, the online stream of it through Fox). Does anyone know of anywhere else that I can watch this online?
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Wags wrote:
Mike Francesa has a front row seat just to my left, at the basket Villanova was just warming up at (which I'm right behind, which also means I can't see any left wing jumpers because of the stanchion blocking that view).
Tom Pecora is also in attendance, as is UNCW's SID Tom Riordan, i'm surprised he's not at UNCW's game.
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:
Wags wrote:
Tom Pecora is also in attendance, as is UNCW's SID Tom Riordan, i'm surprised he's not at UNCW's game.
Yeah, Jerry snapped a good pic with him: https://twitter.com/JerryBeach73/status ... 1653158912
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wow -- Gustys just made a 15-foot jumper.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:Wow -- Gustys just made a 15-foot jumper.
I turned to the guy next to me and said, "He can do that? Why don't we ever see more of it?" Or was that the one lucky time?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The 95-71 score was close to our 96-73 loss to Kentucky. Wright-Foreman led all scorers with 25, but had only 2 rebounds and 1 assist. He had 2 blocked shots, which is his career-high vs. a Division I team. He had 2 blocked shots against Molloy, and he had 2 blocked shots last season. Wormley was second on Hofstra with 7 rebounds, which is as many as he had in his three highest rebounding games combined. Gustys was Hofstra's only other double-digit scorer with 11 points. Pemberton made half of his field goals but didn't attempt many and scored 9. Wormley and Pemberton had 5 assists each, which is the first time since Pemberton and Powers on January 2, 2017 that two Hofstra players had at least 5 assists.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

EvanJ wrote:The statistics will come from Villanova at http://www.villanova.com/gametracker/la ... artschool=&

If the NCAA counts this as a home game for Villanova, it's better for Hofstra' RPI.

Other than a tournament near one team that is meant to be neutral and teams who share stadiums like the Giants and Jets, I wonder if a team in any sport has been considered away at a venue that short a geographic distance from them.
Yes Hofstra was the road team at the Coliseum against St John's when Jay was our coach. We beat St John's for Hofstra's first win ever against the Johnnies.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:The 95-71 score was close to our 96-73 loss to Kentucky.
Yeah, I thought about that, but that was a 36-33 game late in the first half and at least provided some legit thoughts of an upset for a while before it quickly got out of hand.

Tonight, after it was 14-13 and 20-15, Nova pulled away quickly thereafter and Hofstra never recovered. Those same thoughts that HU gave for about the first 16 minutes against Kentucky never entered my mind tonight.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
EvanJ wrote:The statistics will come from Villanova at http://www.villanova.com/gametracker/la ... artschool=&

Yes Hofstra was the road team at the Coliseum against St John's when Jay was our coach. We beat St John's for Hofstra's first win ever against the Johnnies.
The media got a chuckle when Mihalich said, "We could've walked here, and I still saw all this Villanova stuff everywhere."
Wags

Post by Wags »

Didn't know this existed, but Rok did a podcast interviewing Speedy:
https://twitter.com/GustysRokas/status/ ... 6852826113
He said at the time, that was his first. Don't see that he did any others.

And then there's also this:
https://twitter.com/GustysRokas/status/ ... 5959607298