Hofstra vs Villanova - 12/22/17 (Nassau Coliseum)

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

Re: Hofstra vs Villanova - 12/22/17 (Nassau Coliseum)

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:I don't think it would serve any purpose to overly analyze this game. Basically 2 and 3 star players playing against 4/5 star players. Their 6'9" freshman Spellman an unbelievable player/shooter and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Good points made by everyone There were some of our players rising to the occasion and a few not playing well making high pressure mistakes. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when I have to watch a guard miss free throws especially when it's a recurring situation. I believe the cream rose to the top here in this game and let the game stats speak for themselves. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!
Tough to take this away from a 24-point loss, but an optimist could say: if HU can figure out how to guard the 3 a lot better, there's some potential there (?). Other than getting destroyed from behind the arc by Nova, Hofstra was even on the boards (34-34), had a better overall FG% (48.3% to 47.9%, overall) and more blocks (6-4) than the No. 1 team in the nation.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Was this 24-point loss the largest spread in Hofstra Basketball history (for HU or an HU opponent) in which the losing team outshot the other overall? I can't ever recall seeing something like that in any game at any level, when a team outshoots the other overall and still loses by a margin of as much as 24 points. Wondering just how rare that is, historically. And if anyone can find that, it would be EvanJ.
This afternoon Michigan State beat Savannah State 108-52, but Savannah State made more three-pointers! Making more three-pointers in a loss by 56 is harder than what Hofstra did.
Wags

Post by Wags »

EvanJ wrote:
Wags wrote: Was this 24-point loss the largest spread in Hofstra Basketball history (for HU or an HU opponent) in which the losing team outshot the other overall? I can't ever recall seeing something like that in any game at any level, when a team outshoots the other overall and still loses by a margin of as much as 24 points. Wondering just how rare that is, historically. And if anyone can find that, it would be EvanJ.
This afternoon Michigan State beat Savannah State 108-52, but Savannah State made more three-pointers! Making more three-pointers in a loss by 56 is harder than what Hofstra did.
That was only because Savannah State took 20 more 3s than Michigan State (42-22). Michigan State still shot >12% better than Savannah State from 3, and just beat them in other ways. That's not so uncommon. I'd say it's still a lot tougher and far more uncommon doing what Hofstra did, to outshoot an opponent overall in a loss by as much as 24.