Not Many Men's Basketball Games On TV

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Not Many Men's Basketball Games On TV

Post by EvanJ »

http://caasports.com/news/2016/10/24/MB ... 64132.aspx says the CAA Men's Basketball Tournament Quarterfinals and Semifinals will be on NBC Sports Regional Networks (including SNY) and the network for the Final is to be announced. The Semifinals used to be on national TV on NBC Sports Network, but the CAA's contract with NBC Sports Network apparently ended. It says "additional games will be added to the television schedule prior to the start of the regular season." That is hopefully true because the number of televised CAA conference games out of 90 is way down from 29 last season to 16 this season. Last season had 5 games on NBC Sports Network, 15 games on NBC Sports Regional Networks, and 9 games on American Sports Network. This season has no games on NBC Sports Network, 7 games on NBC Sports Regional Networks, and 9 games on American Sports Network. For both seasons, I excluded local TV for College of Charleston games. My source for how many games were on TV last season was a PDF website made before the season, so there could have been minor changes from that to what was actually shown.

Hofstra has only 4 games listed on TV. Last season Hofstra had 7 CAA games, 3 games in the US Virgin Islands, and 3 CAA Tournament games on TV, for a total of 13. The season starts on November 11, and ESPN will show Hofstra play Kentucky a month later on December 11. Then it's a long wait for the first of Hofstra's three games on American Sports Network, which will be on February 16, 18, and 25. It is 67 days from December 11 to February 16. The February 25 game is the last game before the CAA Tournament. Hofstra does not have any games scheduled for NBC Sports Regional Networks, and the American Sports Network games are sometimes shown in some markets but not in the New York City. Although I don't have proof of this, I wouldn't be surprised if 4 televised games is the fewest for Hofstra since they joined the CAA.
Polito

Re: Not Many Men's Basketball Games On TV

Post by Polito »

That is interesting Evan, thank you.

I am hopeful this changes a bit prior to the start and potential even during the season. How well HU and others are playing can certainly impact, and of course whoever makes the semis and title get on something, but its mostly up to the new CAA chief to get the job done on this front. One of the first big tests for him. I never thought the CAA had any kind of impressive TV package, even by mid-major standards, so who knows - maybe that's just me and my lack of expertise in this area.

However, the UK game on ESPN at Barclays is bigger than any affiliate regional deal, that's for sure. And when HU shocks the world and places themselves firmly on the national map with the upset / trap game W, the coverage will be supreme. 8-)
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

We usually have a couple of games on SNY.
Sctvman

Post by Sctvman »

SNY is owned by Comcast, who has the NBC regional games. They'll have to add a few games in order for them to air. Basically all the CSN-Mid Atlantic games air on SNY and/or CSN-New England.

This article discusses more about the CAA possible TV national contract which hasn't been signed. The championship will most likely air on ESPN2 or ESPNU.

The commissioner (Joe D'Antonio) said on a local sports talk show in Charleston last week that a ESPN network was gonna air the championship.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2016 ... -mens.html
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: We usually have a couple of games on SNY.
I know. Back when we were great in 2005-2006, we also had local pro-Hofstra announcers for some games on MSG. As more TV channels are created and a greater percentage of Division I games are on TV, Hofstra has had fewer games on TV. Hofstra was 57th in the RPI last season. If you look at the 56 teams ahead of Hofstra (most of whom are in better conferences than the CAA), I wouldn't be suprised if all of them had more games announced that will be televised than the 4 games for Hofstra. At least the CAA streams all the games online for free.
Sctvman wrote: This article discusses more about the CAA possible TV national contract which hasn't been signed. The championship will most likely air on ESPN2 or ESPNU.

The commissioner (Joe D'Antonio) said on a local sports talk show in Charleston last week that a ESPN network was gonna air the championship.

http://mattsarzsports.blogspot.com/2016 ... -mens.html
Almost every conference championship is on broadcast or basic cable. Considering how good the CAA was last season, having the championship on ESPNU would be disrespectful by ESPN.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra's last regular season game on February 25 at 12:00 P.M. is televised through American Sports Network, but SNY says they're showing the Mets then. It's bad enough when SNY shows a game not involving Hofstra delayed that is on other Comcast channels live, but it's worse if Hofstra has only 2 out of 18 CAA games on live TV.
Polito

Post by Polito »

VERY poor TV year - basically non-existent. Making viewing parties quite difficult to pull off...
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

On the last day of the regular season on February 25, Hofstra is at James Madison at 12:00 P.M. and Towson is at William & Mary at 2:00 P.M. SNY is showing Towson at James Madison on February 26 at 11:00 A.M. and Hofstra at James Madison on February 26 at 3:00 P.M.