Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: ALL HU FANS - MAJOR Announcement - PLEASE READ

Post by HUSID80 »

Thanks Stu!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thx for the heads-up HUSID, blessings and prayers to you and those who lost.

Hey, look at this, some East Northport / Commack love! Man, wish I would've known that from the start!! :lol:
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Any updates on the meeting last night? I guess some of you are still sleeping it off? LOL
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Not bad at all we had both soccer coaches while the women's team will be going thru a rebuilding year they should be competitive in the CAA. The men's team has a much brighter outlook. I have known Richard about 20 years and this is the most optimistic I have ever seen him be. He feels thT this coming year the team has top 10 to 15 quality players on it. He feels he has 4 Long Island players that are in the top 5 talent level Never has had this success in recruiting locally before Add in to European players (Germany and Sweden) and this ranks S one of the best incoming classes in Hofstra history. Want to thank both coaches for taking time out of their busy schedules to sit down and talk with us
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

According to Newsday's commitments list, three Chaminade soccer players are coming to Hofstra next year -- including one Jack Nuttall:

http://projects.newsday.com/databases/l ... 7&offset=0
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Nice, my alma mater coming through!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:Not bad at all we had both soccer coaches while the women's team will be going thru a rebuilding year they should be competitive in the CAA. The men's team has a much brighter outlook. I have known Richard about 20 years and this is the most optimistic I have ever seen him be. He feels thT this coming year the team has top 10 to 15 quality players on it. He feels he has 4 Long Island players that are in the top 5 talent level Never has had this success in recruiting locally before Add in to European players (Germany and Sweden) and this ranks S one of the best incoming classes in Hofstra history. Want to thank both coaches for taking time out of their busy schedules to sit down and talk with us
Both coaches also really stressed the need for fundraising help and getting more student interest in the programs.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Seems to be a recurring theme...lack of funding and a disinterested student body...not very positive trends IMO
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Take a look at our last three years overall. I remember when we were winning at least 4 CAA titles a year. I bet over the last three years its about 4 total. Evan I am I wrong. If the coaches are spending more time fundraising and less time coaching the teams results will suffer. Guys am I wrong about this. I understand as a private institute we do not get public funding the state schools get.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito, remember we were talking about new signage for Hofstra games?

Check this out: http://caasports.com/news/2017/3/2/MBB_0302170715.aspx
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Take a look at our last three years overall. I remember when we were winning at least 4 CAA titles a year. I bet over the last three years its about 4 total. Evan I am I wrong. If the coaches are spending more time fundraising and less time coaching the teams results will suffer. Guys am I wrong about this. I understand as a private institute we do not get public funding the state schools get.
The last big year we had with CAA titles was 2006/07 when we won 5 in men's soccer, volleyball, wrestling, women's lacrosse and softball. Since then best showing was 2012/13 with four in women's soccer, volleyball, wrestling and softball.

There are certain factors at play now as wrestling is now in a much tougher league in the EIWA and softball has increased competition now from JMU and Charleston. men's and women's lacrosse are also in tougher spots than a decade ago with other teams in the league in much stronger shape than they used to be. Bottom line is winning CAA titles is not easy so not sure we can simply say it is because of increased fundraising.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So is this the new normal. We will average about 1 championship per year. With 17 teams thats not a good percentage.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very cool on the 3d signage, I hope HU can tap into that as a new way to provide advertisers with value and create a stronger revenue stream.

As for the championships, yes, things have gotten tougher, so that means you can't stay status quo and get away with it. Funding unfortunately is a big part of it, and it's a challenge at HU, no question. Some things will be difficult to change, but some things can be adjusted and elevated.

All starts at the top - hopefully the proper focus will increase - I think it will need to at some point. Once the med school is stabilized, and I understand that can take some time considering the investment, HU's flagship sports will need a major boost.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote:Seems to be a recurring theme...lack of funding and a disinterested student body...not very positive trends IMO
These meetings have been good in general.
But if this is the recurring theme, and it certainly seems to be from the coaches we've met so far, then as the unofficial fan group of Hofstra athletics we should be spending some more time putting our heads together to come up with ways to make things better.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Not sure if this idea has been floated but would great if Hofstra could do bobble heads as promotions through a sponsor. If they did ones for Speedy, Charles Jenkins and Jay Wright would surely be a hit and draw big crowds.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Anything where the school has to spend money goes thru Rabinowitz. If he deems it necessary the money will be spent
Polito

Post by Polito »

Folks, I want to get some thoughts around some Lax focused events. Yes, for reals LOL :P

As much as I am not a fan of the staff the last several years, I am of course a fan of the program and I do believe Dutch Nation should do what it can for HU's other premier flagship sport 8-) . Votes for the following:

- A meeting the week between the last 2 home games 4/15-4/22?
- Tailgates or Meetups for either?

I may not be able to plan these soup to nuts, busy time, but I can and will absolutely help to coordinate, participating where I can.

What say you group to the above?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Up till 4/8 I can't do much Mysonis getting married th 8th. Give me about a week and can try to put something together
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Polito wrote:Folks, I want to get some thoughts around some Lax focused events. Yes, for reals LOL :P

As much as I am not a fan of the staff the last several years, I am of course a fan of the program and I do believe Dutch Nation should do what it can for HU's other premier flagship sport 8-) . Votes for the following:

- A meeting the week between the last 2 home games 4/15-4/22?

I may not be able to plan these soup to nuts, busy time, but I can and will absolutely help to coordinate, participating where I can.

Good call Polito. Only two home games remaining but they are both big ones and who knows, maybe more games at Shuart in May if we fare well enough in CAAs.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: - A meeting the week between the last 2 home games 4/15-4/22?

I'm not going to a lacrosse game. I'll go to another meeting, but not during Passover. The earliest date after the wedding stuball888 has that I would come is Tuesday April 18.