ALL HU FANS - MAJOR Announcement - PLEASE READ

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: ALL HU FANS - MAJOR Announcement - PLEASE READ

Post by Polito »

Agree with you both - this is unacceptable, and frankly, reeks of laziness, incompetence, or no one fully accountable or assigned to the task - and NONE of those are ok.

The challenge HUSID is, you can't count those as home games because they are not. They are not getting away with that - the reality is this was a very poor job on the home slate, period.

Folks are so quick to use the 'it's hard because we are a mid major' excuse, I can't take it anymore, especially from the STAFF - stop the BS, and work HARDER - since when is a job being tough an ok reason for not accomplishing the task??

In what world?? In what field??

The answer is NONE. Most of our jobs careers or businesses have some element involved that is nearly impossible. Key word is nearly. Can you imagine going to your superior or your shareholders or customers and saying sorry guys it's just really hard. LOL c'mon.

I have brought up repeatedly that UNC specifically schedules games against mids on THEIR home floor every single year for players on their roster to bring them back to their home area. This is a KNOWN thing. How many NYC and LI players have they had over the years?? C'mon, make some moves here - this stuff can be addressed, it just takes a much greater effort than what they are giving it, period.

The marquee neutral site games have been AWESOME - make no mistake, they have improved that area, and should be commended for it - UK in NY, and Nova next door is truly phenomenal stuff that we only dreamed about 10-20 years ago. AND they home games against La Salle and St Bona have been major upgrades.

But the ball is being dropped in other areas, and it needs to be addressed. There should NEVER be a yr under this staff where we question the home slate. NEVER.

The staff and the admin need to buckle up and get this corrected.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

The Manhattan game at Adelphi is so strange, Speedy's brother is on the AU staff, maybe that's how they made it happen. But the arena seats only 800-1k, so it's going to have an old school feel, I'm excited for that one!

The home schedule is weak, but let's face it, we have to make some noise to get some people to play at the Mack. One caveat, that's both an advantage for us this upcoming season (based on our schedule), and perhaps a help in future seasons; the NCAA is now changing how they define a quality win, creating more emphasis on where the games were played. That's a MAJOR advantage for Hofstra and mid-majors overall, it may open the door for St. John's or other BE/A-10 foes to take a chance and come to Hempstead, especially if we can break through and get back to the NCAAT.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... uality-win

Hofstra gave the STH a big break on the pricing this year, so there's at least an acknowledgment from the school that they're trying to look out for the supporters, and get the Mack filled. Overall, I like where the program is moving from last year, both on and off the court.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:The Manhattan game at Adelphi is so strange, Speedy's brother is on the AU staff, maybe that's how they made it happen. But the arena seats only 800-1k, so it's going to have an old school feel, I'm excited for that one!
Either that or the fact that Danny McCabe is their Athletic Director.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID80 wrote: Agreed that Ken St and Molloy are poor but if you add Manhattan and Villanova to the home slate it's not bad. Can't believe they couldn't agree on a date to play Manhattan at the Mack...so now it becomes in effect a neutral site game...Why not play it at the Coliseum? I'm sure it's not totally booked.
Having it be a neutral site game is better for our RPI than if it was a home game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Interesting Evan, and good to know, thanks -
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

EvanJ wrote:
HUSID80 wrote: Agreed that Ken St and Molloy are poor but if you add Manhattan and Villanova to the home slate it's not bad. Can't believe they couldn't agree on a date to play Manhattan at the Mack...so now it becomes in effect a neutral site game...Why not play it at the Coliseum? I'm sure it's not totally booked.
Having it be a neutral site game is better for our RPI than if it was a home game.
I think this game would still count as home in regards to the RPI.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf

If you go to page 13 it states:

● Is in the same city or a reasonable distance within the metropolitan area of Team A, and its
opponent, Team B, is from outside the metro area.
Example: The Butler women’s basketball team has scheduled a home game with Tennessee and
wants to move to a larger arena to accommodate an expected larger crowd. The game is moved
to Conseco Fieldhouse, which is still in the same metro area as Butler and just a few miles away.
It still is considered Butler’s home game.

Also of note this game is included in the season ticket package for Hofstra.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraMathew wrote:
EvanJ wrote:
I think this game would still count as home in regards to the RPI.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/ForSIDs/Policies.pdf

If you go to page 13 it states:

● Is in the same city or a reasonable distance within the metropolitan area of Team A, and its
opponent, Team B, is from outside the metro area.
Example: The Butler women’s basketball team has scheduled a home game with Tennessee and
wants to move to a larger arena to accommodate an expected larger crowd. The game is moved
to Conseco Fieldhouse, which is still in the same metro area as Butler and just a few miles away.
It still is considered Butler’s home game.

Also of note this game is included in the season ticket package for Hofstra.
You could be right, and situations like that cause two websites with RPIs to disagree. Hofstra is playing at Adelphi, but not to get higher attendance and/or revenue against a team that more people want to see. My guess is the NCAA doesn't use Hofstra's season ticket package to decide if it was a home or neutral game.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I mentioned the season ticket package because of the following bullet point that is on the same page:

● Is in the same city or a reasonable distance within the metropolitan area of both teams and
one team, Team A, is designated as the home team and includes the game in its season-ticket
package.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

can we put something together, maybe for after labor day when everyone is done with vacations etc.? we should discuss

opening game tailgate
outing to monmouth and/or stonybrook games
seating section for villanova game
any ideas about improving support - for mbb, probably can just focus on 2018 home games
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yes, definitely, thinking this through now... will confirm for all asap.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

good call Cactus..A tailgate would be fun..I would love for the Monmouth trip to come to fruition. I don't live far from there.. Rider the same thing, since I think that is a weekend.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

cactus wrote: can we put something together, maybe for after labor day when everyone is done with vacations etc.? we should discuss
I have soccer I want to watch on September 5 and 20. Maybe Thursday September 7.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I have a doctors apptmnt and a pedicure appt on those dates.
Polito

Post by Polito »

FYI I have messaged the board folks to have this one de-pinned and the new Dutch Nation one to be pinned.