Men's Basketball Game 28 vs. Drexel: 2/17/2018 at 4:00 P.M

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: Men's Basketball Game 28 vs. Drexel: 2/17/2018 at 4:00 P

Post by joeg1 »

Overall, very good win. We play so much better in man- our 2-3 is a fiasco.
HUclassof19

Post by HUclassof19 »

did you all see that jwf dunk????????????

https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/9 ... 9727226880
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraMathew wrote:EvanJ - great analysis. Two comments

1. Radovic did shoot one three pointer and missed it.
I made a mistake. It was Wormley who didn't attempt a shot.
Pride97 wrote: I think a big issue in the 1st half - other than letting Isabell drive the lane at will - was the mismatch at the forward position. Trueheart got pulled early for Ray and I don’t think he saw the floor again in the half. We were constantly guarding a 6-8ish forward with a guard.
Drexel had a 6-9 and a 6-8. Their third tallest starter was 6-3. Hofstra has Gustys at 6-9 and Trueheart at 6-8.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUclassof19 wrote:did you all see that jwf dunk????????????

Straight up sick

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

I almost saw deja vu with Hofstra and Florida State (who I like):

Halftime margin: Hofstra down 2, Florida State down 1
Margin with 5 minutes left: Hofstra and Florida State up 3
Final: Hofstra won 88-76, Florida State won 88-75, and it would have been 88-76 if Pittsburgh made their last free throw
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

That's awesome and right over that guy Myles!! Love it!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Poster-ized
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Nice back to back W's - sorry missed going to both of them.
Hope we are peaking at the right time - the three main guys - JFW, RG, EP - seem to be playing their best ball and it is imperative that they do. But are not winning with out our next three - DB, ST, JR - also giving us quality playing time.
At this stage - although I am a big proponent of using a deeper bench - I am OK with those 6 getting the majority of minutes - and a sprinkling of the end of the bench - HS, KW, MR - and if those guys get hot run with them - but our top 6 clearly are going to carry us.
Wags

Post by Wags »

daHUPride wrote:Nice back to back W's - sorry missed going to both of them.
Hope we are peaking at the right time - the three main guys - JFW, RG, EP - seem to be playing their best ball and it is imperative that they do. But are not winning with out our next three - DB, ST, JR - also giving us quality playing time.
At this stage - although I am a big proponent of using a deeper bench - I am OK with those 6 getting the majority of minutes - and a sprinkling of the end of the bench - HS, KW, MR - and if those guys get hot run with them - but our top 6 clearly are going to carry us.
What's interesting is that two years ago, there was a constant debate on this board about the main guys (and I think, primarily the three main guys) supposedly getting gassed from overuse and a thin bench.

While the team is deeper and minutes from the 4th rotation guy down are spaced out more, the three main guys HU counted on two years ago are very similar in minutes to the three main guys they're counting on now, yet there has been no concern here all season about the minutes for this year's main trio.

2015-16:
Green 37.7
Tanskley 34.7
Gustys 30.4
-----------------
Bernardi 36.0
Koon 35.6
Nichols 18.1 (hurt after 20 games; also, in evaluating this current regime, we forget about that injury. He was a big key, might've won it all with him).
Buie 12.6
Walker 4.8
JWF 4.1

2017-18:
JWF 37.9
Eli 34.4
Gustys 30.0
---------------
Buie 21.1
Ray 20.3
Angus 17.1
Wormley 15.3
Trueheart 14.5
Radovic 10.8
Sabety 8.9

If the debate two years ago was from the 4th rotation guy down, what we heard two years ago vs. the silence on that this year makes sense. But I don't think many were complaining all that much about the minutes for Bernardi and Koon (other than that Bernardi should've played less because of his cold shooting streaks and defensive inefficiencies, but not because of fatigue). I think the complaint was mainly about the top three rotation guys (Green, Tanksley and Gustys). If so, there's really no difference between their minutes two years ago and the minutes for JWF, Eli and Gustys this year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
What's interesting is that two years ago, there was a constant debate on this board about the main guys (and I think, primarily the three main guys) supposedly getting gassed from overuse and a thin bench.

While the team is deeper and minutes from the 4th rotation guy down are spaced out more, the three main guys HU counted on two years ago are very similar in minutes to the three main guys they're counting on now, yet there has been no concern here all season about the minutes for this year's main trio.

2015-16:
Green 37.7
Tanskley 34.7
Gustys 30.4
-----------------
Bernardi 36.0
Koon 35.6
Nichols 18.1 (hurt after 20 games; also, in evaluating this current regime, we forget about that injury. He was a big key, might've won it all with him).
Buie 12.6
Walker 4.8
JWF 4.1

2017-18:
JWF 37.9
Eli 34.4
Gustys 30.0
---------------
Buie 21.1
Ray 20.3
Angus 17.1
Wormley 15.3
Trueheart 14.5
Radovic 10.8
Sabety 8.9

If the debate two years ago was from the 4th rotation guy down, what we heard two years ago vs. the silence on that this year makes sense. But I don't think many were complaining all that much about the minutes for Bernardi and Koon (other than that Bernardi should've played less because of his cold shooting streaks and defensive inefficiencies, but not because of fatigue). I think the complaint was mainly about the top three rotation guys (Green, Tanksley and Gustys). If so, there's really no difference between their minutes two years ago and the minutes for JWF, Eli and Gustys this year.
My understanding of the complaints/concerns 2 years ago were not about the starting 3 but the starting 5. They were only using 6/7 players with Buie coming off the bench for Green and Sabety coming in for ROK. That year all of the 5 starters were playing the majority of the game minutes unless we ran into untoward circumstances EG foul trouble etc. ROK being a big kid needs to be spelled for minutes. This years team is an entirely different situation after you get past JWF and EP. ROK is still getting his minutes off which is mandatory but the 4th and fifth starters are not playing that many minutes. ST by your own figures is getting 14.5 Koon was getting 35.6. JR is getting 20.3 while Bernardi was getting 36. There were a total of 7 players getting any minutes to speak off (one being Sabety who doesn't get a lot) but now we have 10 players getting substantial minutes. IMO this is a big difference from what happened two years ago but Joe always played it down. Really our rotation now is working for us and is a big plus in keeping everyone fresh and the bench players are contributing they're not just taking up space. Without ST and JR we would have lost some of those games that r in the W column. I'm really happy with the way things have panned out with our player rotation and maybe JA injury got ST more minutes to show how versatile a player he is. What happens if JA gets healthy??
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:

2015-16:
Green 37.7
Tanskley 34.7
Gustys 30.4
-----------------
Bernardi 36.0
Koon 35.6
Buie 12.6
Walker 4.8
JWF 4.1

2017-18:
JWF 37.9
Eli 34.4
Gustys 30.0
---------------
Buie 21.1
Ray 20.3
Angus 17.1
Wormley 15.3
Trueheart 14.5
Radovic 10.8
Sabety 8.9

My understanding of the complaints/concerns 2 years ago were not about the starting 3 but the starting 5. They were only using 6/7 players with Buie coming off the bench for Green and Sabety coming in for ROK. That year all of the 5 starters were playing the majority of the game minutes unless we ran into untoward circumstances EG foul trouble etc. ROK being a big kid needs to be spelled for minutes. This years team is an entirely different situation after you get past JWF and EP. ROK is still getting his minutes off which is mandatory but the 4th and fifth starters are not playing that many minutes. ST by your own figures is getting 14.5 Koon was getting 35.6. JR is getting 20.3 while Bernardi was getting 36. There were a total of 7 players getting any minutes to speak off (one being Sabety who doesn't get a lot) but now we have 10 players getting substantial minutes. IMO this is a big difference from what happened two years ago but Joe always played it down. Really our rotation now is working for us and is a big plus in keeping everyone fresh and the bench players are contributing they're not just taking up space. Without ST and JR we would have lost some of those games that r in the W column. I'm really happy with the way things have panned out with our player rotation and maybe JA injury got ST more minutes to show how versatile a player he is. What happens if JA gets healthy??
Being deeper and spreading out the minutes so the 4th and 5th rotation guys aren't as taxed as Bernardi and Koon were is obviously different/better? this year.

But as I recall, a big (bigger?) part of the debate was also about Juan'ya and Rok. As far as that, even with more depth and Sabety now, it's really no different then vs. now, yet no same concern for the minutes JWF and Rok are playing this year vs. what people were worried about with the minutes Green and Rok were playing two years ago.
- Green (37.7) vs. JWF (37.9)
- Rok then (30.4) vs. Rok now (30.0)
- Also, Rok two years ago, averaging about the same minutes two years ago as this year, playing a third game in three days in Baltimore, had one of the best games of his career, in the most pressure-packed game of his career: played 44 of a possible 45 minutes, with 18 pts (on 9/11 fg) and 23 rebs in the CAA finals.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fair point on the time played for these guys... guess it really isn't a major concern. Most teams, esp mids, are in the same position where the either have to rely heavily on a few, or choose to do so due to the dropoff in talent - really only the top P5's are gonna have plug and play type talent. Good enough insight for me to not worry about that anymore.

JWF is a man among boys

As is Rok

And you all know I love me some Buie and Eli, 2 guys I've been high on since their HS/Prep days.

I hope everyone sees just how much talent this team has. And they're deep with serviceable players. HU has the clear best player in the conf (and it's not close IMO), a budding all-conf star, and a 1st teamer who's going to break DAVID ROBINSON'S CAA rebounding record, which is astounding. For HU to not be the best in the CAA or not win this whole damn thing, is crazy to me. That's why I go nuts about the coaching and staff - you give Keatts this team and he runs away with the CAA, no question in my mind.

Anyhoo, a blessing for us to see guys like this - staff did the first part great in recruiting, now they have to complete the job by dancing. MUST come through on what matters most.

2 to go, and then it's time for the cream to rise to the top. Planning to be there Sat with full fam and crew in tow (although prob just for the 2nd half). Huge feeling to the end of this season, which is great - Awesome to have the last game at home, looking forward to the regular season final, and sending the Sr's off with an ovation!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:

2015-16:
Green 37.7
Tanskley 34.7
Gustys 30.4
-----------------
Bernardi 36.0
Koon 35.6
Buie 12.6
Walker 4.8
JWF 4.1

2017-18:
JWF 37.9
Eli 34.4
Gustys 30.0
---------------
Buie 21.1
Ray 20.3
Angus 17.1
Wormley 15.3
Trueheart 14.5
Radovic 10.8
Sabety 8.9

Good points Wags.
Back then I was a big on using the deeper bench - thought we had a better more versitile team that could absorb using younger players and give those younger players future experience, help certain guys from getting winded and also give us some differnet looks (a quicker team-with AW and DB) - specifically those younger players Buie and Walker.
This years bench - personally I dont feel has developed to the point that they give us quality minutes - I like what HS brings in the minutes he plays - KW I like his size in our backcourt, but short of a few games i dont see him earning extra minutes and MR I see some upside to his game but not yet.
Traditionally - I still believe in using a deep bench - but this years team our top 6 is the way to go.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I forgot for the moment that the last game went to O/T which really sealed our fate with no bench. I don't even remember without going back to look at the stats what ROK did but he obviously was playing quite well in his sophomore year and Juan'ya feeding him was a big part of that story. I don't recall the conversation being about ROK and Green but ROK's minutes a lot of times are predicated on his foul situation. The second he picks up his 2nd foul in the first half he's watching it from the bench which is the way Joe rolls with most players. We had nothing left in that O/T session the way I recall it and UNCW used a lot of bench players the entire game. It really was the difference maker. This kid JWF is like Superman I think he plays an entire game and still has something left in his tank. If we should get into another O/T scenario we should be in a good place!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Good points Wags. PER daHUPride;
Back then I was a big on using the deeper bench - thought we had a better more versitile team that could absorb using younger players and give those younger players future experience, help certain guys from getting winded and also give us some differnet looks (a quicker team-with AW and DB) - specifically those younger players Buie and Walker.
This years bench - personally I dont feel has developed to the point that they give us quality minutes - I like what HS brings in the minutes he plays - KW I like his size in our backcourt, but short of a few games i dont see him earning extra minutes and MR I see some upside to his game but not yet.
Traditionally - I still believe in using a deep bench - but this years team our top 6 is the way to go.

I'm at a loss here. What deeper bench r u referring to? We really didn't have a bench. Buie got minutes and Sabety got some minutes Justin and Walker about 4 minutes a game. Realistically this current team is much deeper and give credit to the coach has gotten plenty of experience. JR has hit big time pressure shots which is amazing for a freshmen and has gotten a lot of minutes now ST starts and is playing well. KW has played with a lot more confidence lately really MR has not had quality playing time but is not really getting much playing time so it's hard to knock him. To say the bench is not giving us quality minutes couldn't be further from the truth it's the reason we have the record we do and some of the last minute heroics. Even when JR doesn't score much I feel he's giving us quality defense and ST the same is true with blocked shots and rebounds. The team two years ago would have won the whole enchilada if they had the depth we have now IMO!!
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Polito wrote: HU has the clear best player in the conf (and it's not close IMO), a budding all-conf star, and a 1st teamer who's going to break DAVID ROBINSON'S CAA rebounding record, which is astounding.
1. A Northeastern fan though Pusica sealed Player of the Year, and I objected. I think JWF will win, but I think Pusica is better. Regardless of how good Charleston is, I will be mad if anybody other than JWF or Pusica wins. Pusica is good enough that Northeastern is in second without anybody else averaging more than 9.8. Pusica shoots better than JWF. He averages exactly 5 assists, which is over 50% more than JWF, with a better assist/turnover ratio. Pusica has a little more rebounds and steals. JWF is great, but I think it's okay to be picky about Player of the Year, and I think Pusica has less to be picky about.

2. I don't think Gustys will make the First Team. Wright-Foreman and Pusica lead their teams in scoring by a lot. Charleston has three stars, and I think at least one makes the first team. William & Mary gets a lot from all of their starters. Then there's Martin, Seibring, Daly, Mosley, Isabell, and Cacok. Every team has a very good player. Would you complain about a First Team of Wright-Foreman, Pusica, Chealey or Riller, Knight, and Cacok?
Last edited by EvanJ on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:Good points Wags. PER daHUPride;

I'm at a loss here. What deeper bench r u referring to? We really didn't have a bench. Buie got minutes and Sabety got some minutes Justin and Walker about 4 minutes a game. Realistically this current team is much deeper and give credit to the coach has gotten plenty of experience. JR has hit big time pressure shots which is amazing for a freshmen and has gotten a lot of minutes now ST starts and is playing well. KW has played with a lot more confidence lately really MR has not had quality playing time but is not really getting much playing time so it's hard to knock him. To say the bench is not giving us quality minutes couldn't be further from the truth it's the reason we have the record we do and some of the last minute heroics. Even when JR doesn't score much I feel he's giving us quality defense and ST the same is true with blocked shots and rebounds. The team two years ago would have won the whole enchilada if they had the depth we have now IMO!!
I thought on the 2015-16 team - Buie, JFW and Walker should have got more minutes - because we needed them. That team did not have Sabaty playing at all he was not eligible; we were also banking on the big transferring from Clemson - Djambo; Jamal Robinson was red shirting and Nicols got hurt. Never said that team had a deeper bench - I said I thought some players could have been used and benefited us.
Also, never said Ray wasn't part of where we are - said Ray was part of the 6 that deserved minutes.
Cards

Post by Cards »

EvanJ wrote:
Polito wrote: HU has the clear best player in the conf (and it's not close IMO), a budding all-conf star, and a 1st teamer who's going to break DAVID ROBINSON'S CAA rebounding record, which is astounding.
1. A Northeastern fan though Pusica sealed Player of the Year, and I objected. I think JWF will win, but I think Pusica is better. Regardless of how good Charleston is, I will be mad if anybody other than JWF or Pusica wins. Pusica is good enough that Northeastern is in second without anybody else averaging more than 9.8. Pusica shoots better than JWF. He averages exactly 5 assists, which is over 50% more than JWF, with a better assist/turnover ratio. Pusica has a little more rebounds and steals. JWF is great, but I think it's okay to be picky about Player of the Year, and I think Pusica has less to be picky about.

2. I don't think Gustys will make the First Team. Wright-Foreman and Pusica lead their teams in scoring by a lot. Charleston has three stars, and I think at least one makes the first team. William & Mary gets a lot from all of their starters. Then there's Martin, Seibring, Daly, Mosley, Isabell, and Cacok. Every team has a very good player. Would you complain about a First Team of Wright-Foreman, Pusica, Chealey or Riller, Knight, and Cacok?
Evan - you make a good case for Pusica but i think the difference in scoring average puts JWF in the player of the year seat.
Regarding Rok - I think your correct, he does not make first team. Cacock is having tooo big of a year to not make him the "big" man on 1st team.
Regarding the entire first team - i agree with all your picks other than Knight. i would put Isabell on first team. Oddly enough, Isalbell gets almost as any rebounds per game as Knight, yet isabell clearly can take over a game on the offensive side - something that I don't think Knight can do.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:We had nothing left in that O/T session the way I recall it and UNCW used a lot of bench players the entire game. It really was the difference maker. This kid JWF is like Superman I think he plays an entire game and still has something left in his tank. If we should get into another O/T scenario we should be in a good place!!
They lost because Juan'ya happened to have the worst shooting game he could have (2/16) at the worst possible time after being a huge reason they got there in the first place. It happens (like Starks' 2/18 in Game 7 of the '94 finals).

Afterwards, Juna'ya said fatigue wasn't a factor at all, he was simply missing shots he'd normally make. Seemed that way. And even if you don't believe him on that, who else was taking a few of his minutes to give him some rest? And why did both Rok and Tanskley play so well in that game, despite it being the 3rd game in 3 days? Even on this year's deeper team, the minutes that are spread out are down the line (starting with the 4th guy), but not for primary go-to guy, hence JWF getting about the same minutes this year as Juan'ya got two years ago.

If Juan'ya goes even 3/16 or 4/16, no one is talking about the bench or minutes two years ago. They're talking about breaking the NCAAT drought. So if they're lucky enough to get back to the finals, minutes for JWF, Eli or Rok shouldn't be too much of a worry.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: Evan - you make a good case for Pusica but i think the difference in scoring average puts JWF in the player of the year seat.
Regarding Rok - I think your correct, he does not make first team. Cacock is having tooo big of a year to not make him the "big" man on 1st team.
Regarding the entire first team - i agree with all your picks other than Knight. i would put Isabell on first team. Oddly enough, Isalbell gets almost as any rebounds per game as Knight, yet isabell clearly can take over a game on the offensive side - something that I don't think Knight can do.
The scoring average is because JWF has attempted 82% more field goals than Pusica. Pusica has attempted 9 more free throws. I'm fine with Isabell over Knight. I think almost all voters will include no more than two forwards and enough will think Cacok and Knight are better than Gustys to give Gustys a chance at the First Team.