Thursday night Delaware

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: Thursday night Delaware

Post by joeg1 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Polito wrote:All about the W, any way any how. Without strong D it's tough for HU to blow teams out, so that really will only happen if the opponent shoots abysmally. But as mentioned, just win.

Honestly, after the complete embarrassment and debacle of last years first round exit at the hands of a rookie HC and makeshift team, HU should absolutely come out with FIRE and a MAJOR chip on their shoulders to avenge that crap.

We may see a healthy does of Ray and Trueheart in addition to the core, as UD has some athletes to keep up with at the point and in the post. It will also be the Justin vs Ryan show. Go get 'em JWF.

I want to see HU hoops shock and awe on the floor every time they play UD, especially this year. Time to set things right.
Yup with u on this Polito. Let's play this game with the idea of getting some vengeance and put this team and the rest of the Colonial on notice!!
The way we defend, we shouldn't take anyone lightly, especially a team with the same record!

I think following a good Northeastern road win we got a little full of ourselves, and we nearly lost at home to a bad JMU team! Hopefully we learned our lesson and come out firing tonight.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote:
EvanJ wrote: It would be nice to get a big enough lead to end with three of Buie/Ray/Radovic/Wormley/Klementowicz, Sabety, and Angus III playing instead of starters, especially when we play far away in two days, and College of Charleston is favored by 12.5 hosting UNC Wilmington. Hofstra had seasons where they rarely used more than eight players, so they couldn't replace all their starters in a blowout like some teams could. Now Hofstra can replace all their starters. Villanova won by 32 and used 12 players yesterday.
Evan u of all people who has the stats for the last 20 years on the tip of his tongue calling for a bench emptying. What was the biggest margin of victory this year against a DIV. 1 opponent?? We had a 14 point lead against Drexel and saw it dissipate in a NY minute down to 4. I'm a little superstitious with visions of a blowout type game especially against a team that has a decent record. I'll take any kind of W IN THIS GAME.
I wasn't saying it will be a blowout. I just said it would be nice. Our only Division I win by more than 6 was 75-57 hosting Kennesaw State, whose RPI is 5 spots better than James Madison to have the second worst RPI of our opponents.

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2018 ... aware.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky."

Edit: Jerry says it is the first time that Hofstra and Delaware played with both of them above .500 in the CAA with at least 2 games played. In 2012-2013 they played with both teams 1-0.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I expect it to be a close game, because, as EvanJ just stated, we've only had one blowout win this year, and I don't count Molloy.

But, it is a good matchup, UD doesn't shoot the 3 ball too often, and they only have two players who shoot it, Daly and Allen. Offensively, we have to get the pick and roll going early and often.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://gohofstra.com/news/2018/1/14/men ... ath=mbball is Hofstra's preview.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game19.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

http://static.caasports.com/custompages ... m#team.ind has Delaware's statistics.

http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... =211692980 is Delaware's preview. Jacob Cushing may return from an injury. In the 8 games he played, he averaged 2.6 points and 2.1 rebounds in 13.1 minutes

http://www.bluehens.com/fls/29100/pdf/M ... M_ID=29100 is Delaware's Game Notes.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video has video.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=190300 has statistics. Hofstra is starting Wright-Foreman, Buie, Pemberton, Gustys, and Trueheart. Delaware's starters aren't listed yet.

Edit: Delaware is starting Ryan Daley (sophomore guard), Ryan Allen (freshman guard), Anthony Mosley (senior guard), Eric Carter (junior forward), and Chyree Walker (freshman forward). Darian Bryant (junior guard), Skye Johnson (senior forward), and Jacob Cushing (sophomore forward) could be their most used bench players. For the eight combinations of year and position, that's one of each.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra leads 22-15. Buie has 15 points, which is double what Wright-Foreman (3) and Pemberton (2) have combined. In over 8 minutes, the game has had only 12 rebounds. Gustys is tied with two Delaware players for the most with 3. Pemberton has 3 assists.

Edit: Hofstra leads 39-31 at halftime. Hofstra's largest lead was 9 at 22-13. Hofstra is led by Buie with 12 and Ray with 7. Pemberton (6) and Wright-Foreman (5) have combined make one-third of their free throws at 5-15 and missed all 7 three-pointers. The rest of Hofstra shot field goals 12-19, make Hofstra 16-32 (.500). Gustys has 4 points without a missed field, but he missed both of his free throws. He leads all players with 10 rebounds. Trueheart scored 5 without missing a shot. The five starters and Ray played at least 11 minutes. Angus III, Wormley, and Sabety played 1 to 3 minutes and Radovic hasn't played. Hofstra has only 2 offensive rebounds, with them coming 4 seconds apart when Gustys got a rebound and missed and Pemberton got a rebound and scored. The half went quickly because the teams committed only 6 fouls each. The teams combined to make 3 out of 10 free throws. Ryan Daley has shot the ball horribly (1-8). He has 3 points but an impressive 8 rebounds. Anthony Mosley (13 points, 6-9 field goals) leads all scorers, and Ryan Allen has 11 points and 5-7 field goals. Nobody on Delaware other than those two has scored more than 3.
Last edited by EvanJ on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Great first half. Buie really had his best half of the season. Great job by him. Lets close it out.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

EvanJ wrote:Hofstra leads 22-15. Buie has 15 points, which is double what Wright-Foreman (3) and Pemberton (2) have combined. In over 8 minutes, the game has had only 12 rebounds. Gustys is tied with two Delaware players for the most with 3. Pemberton has 3 assists.
Buie has 12 points at halftime

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra has their largest lead at 55-41. Delaware has the two leading scorers.

Edit: Buie has 5 assists. With 11:58 left, Wright-Foreman has scored 8 in the half to take Hofstra's lead with 13. Gustys has 14 rebounds, which is more than how many points any Hofstra player had. Hofstra took their largest lead at 58-43 before a three-point play made it 58-46. I want to check the last time Hofstra led by 15.

Edit: Hofstra has their largest lead at 74-52 with 7:17 left. Ryan Daly and 8 rebounds in the first half but none in the second half yet. Buie has 17, and Wright-Foreman and Pemberton have 15 each. Hofstra has made 13 out of 17 field goals in the second half. Hofstra's second half pace would give them 110 points in a game.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Fun game to watch tonight. Team just flat out balled tonight. We shot lights out, didn't matter what anyone on the court did against us. We couldn't miss tonight.

Hopefully we carry this MoMo down South with us this weekend.
Polito

Post by Polito »

And wouldn't you know it, a relative blow out by HU standards!! LOL :D

PAYBACK

This is obviously a very good matchup for HU, and kudos to the team and staff for fully exploiting it.

Prediction about a solid dose of Ray and Trueheart looks to have come to fruition - Trueheart has some real potential, exciting about his game and continued development.

My man Buie - finally showing what has been expected of him - CRISP tonight - yeah the 20 points are awesome, but *8* assists, just fantastic - THAT'S a PG and what a team like this needs - hope he has found his groove and shows out from here on.

Seeing some nice player use/rotation, FINALLY - the minute distribution is getting better IMO, and more in line with what most of us have felt this team needs to win - less Wormley and Angus, more Buie, Trueheart, and Ray. Mix in Sabety (who almost took the rim off!) and Radovic for some rest/juice/matchups, and this team is winning.

Great W, and a relatively easy one, without JWF having to be a superhero, which is EXACTLY what's needed heading into a much bigger showdown on the road. Rest up fellas, it gets real on Sat.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra won 90-63, which is their biggest margin of victory against a CAA team since a similar score in a 91-63 win hosting William & Mary on January 24, 2016.
Hofstra's largest lead was 33 at 85-52 and 87-54. Pemberton made his last 3 field goals and led all scorers with 21. Buie had 20 points and a whopping 8 assists. Wright-Foreman scored 15 and made half of his field goals. Hofstra had 20 assists, with 20 of them from Buie, Wright-Foreman (5), or Pemberton (4). I don't have a way of checking, but it must be rare to have three teammates with at least 4 assists. Ryan Daly scored 10 in the second half to make 13, but had no rebounds and 1 assist in the second half.

Hofstra blocked 7 shots and Delaware didn't block any. Gustys blocked 3, Sabety blocked 2, and Wright-Foreman and Trueheart blocked 1. It was the first time Hofstra blocked at least 7 shots without allowing any since we blocked 9 in an 88-81 overtime win hosting UNC Wilmington on February 28, 2009. That was 285 games ago.

Hofstra had 20 assists and 6 turnovers, which is our best assist/turnover ratio since the William & Mary game earlier in this post.

Edit: Delaware had shot two-pointers well but had these bad statistics:

Points off turnovers: 6
Three-point field goal percentage: .154 (2/13)
Free throw percentage: .529 (9/17)

It was the fourth time this season that Hofstra allowed 3 or fewer three-pointers. The last time Hofstra had at least 4 games allowing 3 or fewer three-pointers was having 5 of those in 2012-2013.

College of Charleston's top four scorers played at least 32 minutes in an 80-76 win. I'm including Jarrell Brantley who hasn't played enough games to qualify.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Everything clicked tonight, best performance in years.

Hell of an effort from Buie, all of his assists were great, he was breaking ankles out there, best game of his career. Kudos to Pemba and Trueheart for having great games on both sides of the ball. ST's athleticism has been on display, and it's a difference maker for our team.

We couldn't miss, it was like magic. It could be somewhat a product of UD's defense, but we only had 6 turnovers tonight, really a perfect offensive performance.

Very proud of the effort tonight, we played like we wanted it more, and after we established the lead, we poured it on, there was never a doubt we were closing this one out.

We're in 1st place, and we're coming into form as we have in my opinion, the toughest road game of the year. Very excited for CoC on Saturday.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Polito wrote:And wouldn't you know it, a relative blow out by HU standards!! LOL :D

PAYBACK

This is obviously a very good matchup for HU, and kudos to the team and staff for fully exploiting it.

Prediction about a solid dose of Ray and Trueheart looks to have come to fruition - Trueheart has some real potential, exciting about his game and continued development.

My man Buie - finally showing what has been expected of him - CRISP tonight - yeah the 20 points are awesome, but *8* assists, just fantastic - THAT'S a PG and what a team like this needs - hope he has found his groove and shows out from here on.

Seeing some nice player use/rotation, FINALLY - the minute distribution is getting better IMO, and more in line with what most of us have felt this team needs to win - less Wormley and Angus, more Buie, Trueheart, and Ray. Mix in Sabety (who almost took the rim off!) and Radovic for some rest/juice/matchups, and this team is winning.

Great W, and a relatively easy one, without JWF having to be a superhero, which is EXACTLY what's needed heading into a much bigger showdown on the road. Rest up fellas, it gets real on Sat.
I don't how you can call it anything less than a blowout, by far our best overall TEAM performance of the year. Lets bring it on down South!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Great game tonight - did a team in tonight!

DB was at his all time best - confident with his handle - give us that game every night.
JFW had a great GREAT night - stat wise he has played better - but he did NOT force his game and let others do their thing - a sign of a mature player.
EP and JR solid performances - EP followed few shots and was strong doing so; JR was nice nice.
Guards - our 4 guards 66 points / 19 assists / 4 steals.
Bigs - RG, ST, HS - nice solid games by one and all.

Brought 2 newbies tonight - great feedback; they'll be back - but complaints by them: our sound system and PA announcements - virtually inaudible (could not argue with them-couldnt even figure out what old timer they were honoring-think it was David Taylor, not sure - bad really BAD PA system. Next complaint our lack of quality score board with replays. Weak effort on Hofstra part not upgrading and getting with the times.

No complaints about this game from me though.
Last edited by daHUPride on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

daHUPride wrote:Great game tonight - did a team in tonight!

DB was at his all time best - confident with his handle - give us that game every night.
JFW had a great GREAT night - stat wise he has played better - but he did NOT force his game and let others do their thing - a sign of a mature player.
EP and JR solid performances - EP followed few shots and was strong doing so; JR was nice nice.

Brought 2 newbies tonight - great feedback; they'll be back - but complaints by them: our sound system and PA announcements - virtually inaudible (could argue with them-couldnt even figure out what old timer they were honoring-think it was David Taylor, not sure - bad really BAD PA system. Next complaint our lack of quality score board with replays. Weak effort on Hofstra part not upgrading and getting with the times.

TOTALLY AGREE. PA system inaudible... scoreboard flickering.... this program deserves better.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID74 wrote:

Brought 2 newbies tonight - great feedback; they'll be back - but complaints by them: our sound system and PA announcements - virtually inaudible (could not argue with them-couldnt even figure out what old timer they were honoring-think it was David Taylor, not sure - bad really BAD PA system. Next complaint our lack of quality score board with replays. Weak effort on Hofstra part not upgrading and getting with the times.

TOTALLY AGREE. PA system inaudible... scoreboard flickering.... this program deserves better.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Really good points daHUPRIDE and you're right it took me a while to figure out it was David Taylor. We need upgrades here let them get some corporate sponsors which in this new climate created by the POTUS there's a lot of disposable cash profits. I don't know about everyone else but I'm fine with JWF scoring less taking less shots if the results are positive like last night. He's not a selfish player and his mindset is team first! Really good points made by everyone firing on all cylinders from assists to block shots and playing some D. Some exciting plays for the highlight show Sabety DUNK and the put back FLUSH by ST. I believe we r witnessing the evolution of this team into a championship type team with the finding of the right pieces of the puzzle in ST and JR and if DB can play anywhere near this level we could be a tough team to beat. It seems like it took some time to see it thru to fruition but we r looking at a good mix right now! BTW Evan now that your crystal ball is working let us know what it shows versus Charleston??
garyg

Post by garyg »

Now this is the Hofstra team we have been waiting for to emerge...they played with full intensity at both ends of floor for a full 40 minutes...20 assists vs 6 turnovers did not hurt either...now lets produce another strong effort on Saturday
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

PG play still remains the key to the season
When Buie is distributing and they have him and now Truehart hitting 3's they are almost impossible to defend
Really enjoyable win, but I will be hard on this team the rest of the way because they are simply the most talented team in the CAA
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

triplec2195 wrote: BTW Evan now that your crystal ball is working let us know what it shows versus Charleston??
Charleston is undefeated at home with their closest game being 80-76 over UNC Wilmington last night. A team that was undefeated at home didn't stop us from winning at Towson. Charleston has played a worse schedule. Hofstra and Charleston have 11 Division I wins each, but Charleston has only 2 wins against the Top 3 RPI Groups compared to 6 for Hofstra. Charleston had double-digit wins over Towson and Northeastern; but has home wins against Siena, Western Carolina, High Point, and UNC Wilmington by an average of 8.25, and those four teams are all in the bottom half of the RPI. They allowed 87 in a loss at Drexel. They're 4-4 against Division I teams when playing 3 or fewer days after their previous game compared to 7-4 for Hofstra.